Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Post from Longtime Lurker! [Chances of upgrade LHR to KIN via MIA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond

Hi folks,

I’ve been lurking for years, but finally took the plunge and decided to post as I now have a specific question(s). I’d really appreciate some help please.

So, I’m travelling on a fully flex WTP ticket from LHR to KIN via MIA at 0915 on 20/11, returning KIN to LGW at 1930 on 01/12.

Any idea what the chances of an upgrade (either operational upgrade or decent deal at the airport?) are based on your tools that tell you how full the plane is? My firm just wont book CW anymore ��

Also, my layover at MIA is nearly 3 hours, so assuming I’m not lucky enough on the upgrade front, what options are there for a lowly Blue member (silver has long lapsed!) on the lounge front? Are there any good pay options?

Sorry to go on, but any help gratefully received!

Dom

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 14, 2017 at 5:50 am Reason: To comply with lounge guesting request rules
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Outbound - F1 A0 J8 C3 D3 R2 I0 W9 E6 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 G9
Inbound - J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W5 E3 T1 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L8 V4 S4 N0 Q0 O0 G0

I'll leave this here for someone far more intelligent than I am to explain what it means in your particular case!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Erm......... I’m guessing that’s the number of tickets sold within each selling class?

Thanks? I guess! 🤓
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Some
Welcome out of the darkness! Hopefully the first post of many.

Originally Posted by dombo17uk
Erm......... I’m guessing that’s the number of tickets sold within each selling class?

Thanks? I guess! ��
That's the number of seats remaining for sale in each fare class bucket, so there are still a number of WTP seats for sale in W and E buckets, as well as quite a lot of WT seats available for sale. Doesn't mean BA won't decide to upgrade you to try to tempt you to buy CW in future though...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind welcome! I shall just keep my fingers crossed that they may take pity on a giant fellow such as myself and offer me a good deal at bag drop!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me post my welcome to you dombo17uk, welcome to the BA board here on Flyertalk, thank you for the question and emerging from lurkerlife.

From those numbers, I would say that you don't have much chance of an upgrade leaving London, but you are perhaps in with a small chance on the return. G9 and the other numbers says "this is not a full flight", so the usual rolling forward doesn't appear to be on the card, BA is selling lower priced seats to fill that aircraft up. For the return, on the other hand, it's looking overbooked in WT some something will have to give.

If you want CW on the outbound I think you are looking at perhaps a proactive paid upgrade (POUG) at Online check in stage, or a airport paid upgrade on the day. Possible prices to be found in the relevant threads in the Dashboard. This will allow you access to the BA, Cathay and AA lounges, of which the Cathay has the most supporters in this forum.

At T3 and MIA you can alsio just buy your access to other lounges there if you wish, or go to one of the restaurants and find a nice quiet corner to work/relax.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Dear OP - I lurked for about two years and then I came out, FT was a very different animal back then for better or for worse. Once I was out, there was no going back. This is a gold mine - no a Platinum mine of information. These Boys have saved me £££ and got me to Gold.

One thing that I learned a long time ago is that you trust everything that is to do with the whole complexities of dealing with OneWorld in general and BA in particular. As for poeple's opinions, that is their right but it is subjective.

I do hope that you will be glad that you have come out, learn lots as I have done, and have fun.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me post my welcome to you dombo17uk, welcome to the BA board here on Flyertalk, thank you for the question and emerging from lurkerlife.

From those numbers, I would say that you don't have much chance of an upgrade leaving London, but you are perhaps in with a small chance on the return. G9 and the other numbers says "this is not a full flight", so the usual rolling forward doesn't appear to be on the card, BA is selling lower priced seats to fill that aircraft up. For the return, on the other hand, it's looking overbooked in WT some something will have to give.

If you want CW on the outbound I think you are looking at perhaps a proactive paid upgrade (POUG) at Online check in stage, or a airport paid upgrade on the day. Possible prices to be found in the relevant threads in the Dashboard. This will allow you access to the BA, Cathay and AA lounges, of which the Cathay has the most supporters in this forum.

At T3 and MIA you can alsio just buy your access to other lounges there if you wish, or go to one of the restaurants and find a nice quiet corner to work/relax.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dear OP - I lurked for about two years and then I came out, FT was a very different animal back then for better or for worse. Once I was out, there was no going back. This is a gold mine - no a Platinum mine of information. These Boys have saved me £££ and got me to Gold.

One thing that I learned a long time ago is that you trust everything that is to do with the whole complexities of dealing with OneWorld in general and BA in particular. As for poeple's opinions, that is their right but it is subjective.

I do hope that you will be glad that you have come out, learn lots as I have done, and have fun.
Haha! Thanks for celebrating my coming out! I am planning a fair bit of travel the remainder of this year and a lot next year too. Hope to jump on the bandwagon and save save save!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Stick with gold Pucci - it's about $300 per ounce more expensive than platinum these days 😉

Welcome OP - fingers crossed for the upgrade!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by shadowline
Outbound - F1 A0 J8 C3 D3 R2 I0 W9 E6 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O0 G9
For the return, on the other hand, it's looking overbooked in WT some something will have to give.
CWS -I'm not an EF guru, trying to learn, but it looks like the inbound has no CW, but at least 9 discounted WT seats?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gig103
CWS -I'm not an EF guru, trying to learn, but it looks like the inbound has no CW, but at least 9 discounted WT seats?

That's not really my reading (though your reading could be correct, I just have my doubts). The clues are G0 - so no staff standbys, no BA Holidays are cheapo rates, no Awaydays. O and Q are also out, N the cheapest upgradeable fare is also out. S is just 4. Now this will change over time, but that flight may even be overbooked at least in Club, may also be WTP; if not, my reading is there isn't much more left since they are very soon on to V and L fares, which from Kingston would put the fares out of reach for many people. That make up says to me the have about 7 seats left over the whole aircraft, but BA will sell more since not everyone is going to turn up.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are most enlightening.

For the avoidance of doubt (before anyone shouts at me!) I'm not banking on a charm the check-in tactic, I'm just hoping I can bag a good deal at the airport in either direction.

Just hoping things will fill up and work in my favour!

Anyone going to be at T3 on Monday morning? Or MIA Monday afternoon......?!

What's WTP like these days on a 747?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

That's not really my reading (though your reading could be correct, I just have my doubts). The clues are G0 - so no staff standbys, no BA Holidays are cheapo rates, no Awaydays. O and Q are also out, N the cheapest upgradeable fare is also out. S is just 4. Now this will change over time, but that flight may even be overbooked at least in Club, may also be WTP; if not, my reading is there isn't much more left since they are very soon on to V and L fares, which from Kingston would put the fares out of reach for many people. That make up says to me the have about 7 seats left over the whole aircraft, but BA will sell more since not everyone is going to turn up.
Thanks for the read-through, it helps me. That J/C/D/R/I 0 freaks me out as a passenger because it sometimes means involuntary downgrades, which I feel like should be completely illegal (even though EC261 provides some help).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Welcome! For what it's worth, keep checking your "Manage my booking" either online or on the app between now and your departure date. Sometimes, an offer of an upgrade will show up inviting you to pay £X to upgrade,

If you are really lucky, you will get a magic beep at the gate and get an op-up.

Realistically though, the common advice here is not to expect anything (that way, you will never be disappointed!), but practically, I have always found myself constantly refreshing my app after check in hoping for a free upgrade (your boarding pass will change if that happens)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.