Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Direct Airside Transit visa exemption + BA check-in staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Airside Transit visa exemption + BA check-in staff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:32 am

I'm surprised that Schengen C visas don't give a transit visa exemption. The list of countries requiring transit visas is long (includes places like India, China etc.) What this implies is that the UK is giving up on carrying many Indians/ Chinese to Europe transiting via London. The only explanation I can think of is that the UK thinks people with C visas are still more likely to claim asylum in Heathrow vs in continental Europe.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
I think it's more basic even that that. The DAT exemption for those with Australian visas is for those travelling 'directly' to Australia... which you are not. In this case you are going to BUD, which is not in Australia. In airline terms, 'direct airside transit' is under 24 hours. If you were going immediately -LHR-BUD-ARN-DOH- then you could definitely argue it applies. But the 5 days in BUD means that Hungary is considered your destination on this occasion, and transit arrangements for journeys there apply.

ICBW of course, but this is how I read it.
Hmm, that doesn't sound promising.

How do you interpret this line about exemptions: "a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)"? Specifically the bit that says "this can be used for travel to any country".

Without getting into the Oxford Comma debate, do you think they mean that any of those 4 visas can be used for travel to any country or just the USA visa can be used for travel to any country.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Just to further add to this, I found a FT thread which states that the "(this can be used for travel to any country)" text was actually added later so it seems that this does allow for transit to any country: UK DATV exemptions for India

There is also a post on this blog about it: http://livefromalounge.boardingarea....thout-uk-visa/

The question around verifying the e-visa is still an issue though. As is the question about check-in staff being able to make sense of all this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
I think it's more basic even that that. The DAT exemption for those with Australian visas is for those travelling 'directly' to Australia... which you are not. In this case you are going to BUD, which is not in Australia. In airline terms, 'direct airside transit' is under 24 hours. If you were going immediately -LHR-BUD-ARN-DOH- then you could definitely argue it applies. But the 5 days in BUD means that Hungary is considered your destination on this occasion, and transit arrangements for journeys there apply.
There are two versions. the one for airside transit doesn't require the destination/origin to be the issuing country;

- ***Warning*** Passengers may make an airside transit if
holding a valid entry visa issued by Australia, Canada, New
Zealand or USA.
The landside one does;

***Warning*** Passengers may make a landside transit if
holding a valid visa which allows entry into Australia,
Canada, New Zealand or USA and traveling as part of a
journey to, from or transit through the country that has
issued the visa.
(Of course, this doesn't address the need for the airline to verify the Australian visa...)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
There are two versions. the one for airside transit doesn't require the destination/origin to be the issuing country;

The landside one does;

(Of course, this doesn't address the need for the airline to verify the Australian visa...)
Yeah that's what I thought. So we seem to be good on the airside part. Now to figure out how to get an answer out of BA about the e-visa.

Times like these I really appreciate my British passport!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101

So my questions is, is there anything I can do in advance to make this journey smoother?
I might have missed it, but why don't you apply for the transit visa if you're concerned? It's a shame to have to pay into HM Treasury if not required, but having one will certainly make for a lower stress level if the cost isn't a concern.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by deeruck
I might have missed it, but why don't you apply for the transit visa if you're concerned? It's a shame to have to pay into HM Treasury if not required, but having one will certainly make for a lower stress level if the cost isn't a concern.
I was curious about that. You need biometrics to be done, but that is outsourced to VFS in Dubai, and would cost £40 or so. Turnaround time would be 3 weeks or less, and if you are married/CP'd to her, it's unlikely to be refused.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was curious about that. You need biometrics to be done, but that is outsourced to VFS in Dubai, and would cost £40 or so. Turnaround time would be 3 weeks or less, and if you are married/CP'd to her, it's unlikely to be refused.
Because they keep your passport for up to 15 working days / 3 weeks. She needs her passport to go through some process to end her UAE employment visa which apparently takes up to 2 weeks also. That process is very strict there and it's quite a serious criminal offence if you don't do it properly and according to their schedule.

Yeah she's had UK tourist visas before, not worried about the rejection. It's just the time sink that we can't risk with the UAE exit process.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Blue
Yeah that's what I thought. So we seem to be good on the airside part. Now to figure out how to get an answer out of BA about the e-visa.
As I said above, the BA system will not allow the agents to check your wife's Australian visa. There is no manual option available for an ad-hoc check of an Australia visa in the BA system..
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Because they keep your passport for up to 15 working days / 3 weeks. She needs her passport to go through some process to end her UAE employment visa which apparently takes up to 2 weeks also. That process is very strict there and it's quite a serious criminal offence if you don't do it properly and according to their schedule.

Yeah she's had UK tourist visas before, not worried about the rejection. It's just the time sink that we can't risk with the UAE exit process.
I mean this in the nicest possible way but if your wife is a Belarusian citizen then why would you even think of booking a flight via the UK if your actual destination is the Schengen area?

There are so many ways to get from Dubai to the Schengen area directly and throwing this employment visa into the mix just makes it more complicated. If she isn't allowed on the BA flight (rightly or wrongly) then she can't even get back into the UAE.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
I mean this in the nicest possible way but if your wife is a Belarusian citizen then why would you even think of booking a flight via the UK if your actual destination is the Schengen area?

There are so many ways to get from Dubai to the Schengen area directly and throwing this employment visa into the mix just makes it more complicated. If she isn't allowed on the BA flight (rightly or wrongly) then she can't even get back into the UAE.
Yeah good question. It actually made sense at the time because I had a multi-segment trip booked already. Plus, with the WTP / CE baggage allowance, we could take 4 large checked bags + 2 carry ons to move all her stuff, without paying excess baggage. As it happened, she was denied boarding. I'll write a post on that shortly to explain what happened.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

So as I said, she was denied boarding in DXB because of this visa issue. I believe this was the incorrect decision based on the rules I've read.

We were travelling DXB-LHR-BUD in WTP + CE. My partner is a citizen of Belarus and holds a tourist visa for Schengen and had a digital Austrlian tourist visa. For anyone reading this for the first time, Belarussian citizens require a direct airside transit visa to do an airside transit at LHR. However, there are many exemptions from this: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/b...ewhere_else/no

Exemptions
You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable unless your airline is able to verify it with the issuing country. Contact your airline for more information.
My partner held a valid Australian tourist visa. It was definitely valid since we are currently in Australia as I write this. The issue was that this was the typical 'sticker/stamp in passport' visa. Often Aussie visas are digital, meaning that all the visa info is stored online and digitally linked to you passport. There are many ways for airlines, TAs etc to verify this and there is even an official App to store the info: http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Busi/v...n-online-(vevo)

Knowing that this was potentially an issue beforehand, and after reading the final line above which states "E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable unless your airline is able to verify it with the issuing country. Contact your airline for more information." I therefore tried to contact BA to ask if they would be able to verify this e-visa. It was actually very difficult to get a straight answer and everyone on the phone would just say "contact your embassy for visa information". I was eventually able to get an answer about this from BA on Twitter. They said:

Hi FrequentFlyer101, any documentation you have will be checked and verified at the airport. If there are any issues, the airport staff will phone the local authorities at the intended destination to get the correct information.
I took this to mean that the airport staff will be able to contact the Australian authorities to verify an e-visa by phone if it has to come to that.

We arrive 3 hours before departure, expecting some extra time as check-in to deal with this. When asked about the transit visa, we presented:

1) A notification of grant of a Visitor (subclass 600) visa
2) A visa grant notice (with digital barcode)
3) All the printouts about visa requirements and exemptions.

This was passed to the check-in supervisor at DXB. She took a photo of the visa grant notices and sent them to a (Heathrow, I presume) airport liason officer via WhatsApp. The response was a No.

The check-in supervisor then said a number of things which were quite wrong. She was seemingly trying to imply that this wasn't a visa, and merely a travel grant authorisation (she thought it was the Aussie version of an ESTA). I won't go into it all and there were a number of other things she said which were incorrect. The bottom line is that she was given a "no" by the airport liason officer and I guess she has try an communicate that in as best of a way as she could.

So at this point my partner was denied boarding. She got a partial refund, but lost a few hundred pounds. She was able to book on another flight 10 hours or so later with another airline which avoided the UK.

It was quite a stressful situation, but everyone kept their cool.

I'm currently at a bit of a loss for what to do about this. I contact the BA twitter team who gave me a call, listened to my story and opened an investigation. Their result was that "The documents were checked by the Airport Liaison Officer and they confirmed this could not be accepted as an exemption to transit in London.". While this gives BA plausible deniability, my primary goal here is really to understand what the issue was, so that we can avoid this happening in future.

I'm unsure which of the following occured:
1) The e-visa couln't be verified properly by the liason officer
2) Australian visas can only be used for UK transit on a journey to Australia.
3) Some other reason

If anyone has any suggestions for what to do here to understand what happened, I'd greatly appreciate it. It certainly seems that in future it's better to be more cautious and always get a transit visa (this wasn't possible this time due to time constrictions).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The Airline Liaison Officer is a UK Home Office employee who advises airlines based overseas whether a passenger may be acceptable in the UK or not. There are several dozen based around the globe (there is certainly 1 if not 2 based in DXB)and they generally know their stuff! They do however advise only, the final decion to carry a passenger or not is down to the airline.
The ALO network also work very closely with their 5CC counterparts, so I would expect that your wife’s case was referred to his Aussie counterpart in Dubai.
Not to say an error wasn’t made in this case, but merely to give some background.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I'm unsure which of the following occured:
1) The e-visa couln't be verified properly by the liason officer
2) Australian visas can only be used for UK transit on a journey to Australia.
According to what was mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe it was the combination of both 1) and 2). Australian visas are checked automatically when the passenger is travelling to Australia, but there is no manual way to check them when the passenger is travelling elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.