Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE Catering

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
CE Catering

I booked a domestic CE flight from Edinburgh to Gatwick yesterday at 2:30pm. When we boarded at 6, the purser came over and whispered "I'm sorry, due to the late booking we don't have catering for you"

late booking? 16hrs in advance is late!? I'm baffled... Is this normal?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
Yes, according to previous comment on this forum. It's bizarre and even ironic when you consider that those who book latest pay the most.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes anything booked without 24 hours of departure is a late booking and yes it’s normal that a late booking may not get a meal unless other passengers decline.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Also need to bear in mind that the flight will have been catered from LGw and stored overnight on the plane.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
deleted
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
On arrival

Landed, only got an orange juice for the flight. Why can't they even offer something from the M+S menu? Apparently they're not allowed to give "non-BA" food away to cover missing catering. I didn't even eat in the lounge as I figured I'd eat on the plane.

I feel stupid. EasyJet's flight was far cheaper at almost the same time but I figured I'd give this a go. I must be delusional.

It is the very last time for me on BA. I gave up long haul business flights with them a few years ago, and now they can't even get a domestic right.

Surely in the running for a skytrax wooden spoon...
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
This is frankly pathetic. It's happened to me when I've been offloaded and rebooked and it's disgraceful.
If they can't rustle up a meal with 2 hours notice, they could at least also offload my meal and make it follow me! It presumably gets binned if I'm not on the plane.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Late booking not being catered for are simply just a fact of life and not only an issue for BA. That said there are any number of ways that BA could if they wished to they could mitigate that. Chief among those would be to pay from the high last minute ticket price, for a few things from the ET trolley, maybe by an automatic credit of Avios.

The fact they can't be bothered possibly goes to explain the steep decline in the brand reputation.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catandmouse
This is frankly pathetic. It's happened to me when I've been offloaded and rebooked and it's disgraceful.
If they can't rustle up a meal with 2 hours notice, they could at least also offload my meal and make it follow me! It presumably gets binned if I'm not on the plane.

At at least if they consider "within 24hrs" to be too short for catering, they shouldn't sell CE tickets with catering. I'm livid. I had to sit hungry whilst everyone had breakfast around me.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Yep it's pathetic...and maybe a lesson learned. For such sectors...and generally I now find Gatwick BA ops so poor I ignore...changed days when the 737 was the backbone. Use EZY for such flights in future....
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish
Also need to bear in mind that the flight will have been catered from LGw and stored overnight on the plane.
If BA don't have meals to serve passengers then they shouldn't be selling the seats, regardless of where the plane is. They know damn well that passengers can book right up until the last moment and should be loading enough meals to serve. Honestly, these guys behave like crooks.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
At at least if they consider "within 24hrs" to be too short for catering, they shouldn't sell CE tickets with catering. I'm livid. I had to sit hungry whilst everyone had breakfast around me.
Hopefully it won't happen again, but what you should do is pay for some M&S food with Avios and claim the Avios back from BA later. I know of someone who has been successful on this.

Because of the catering all coming from LGW and the overnight stop at EDI then this was somewhat on the cards, and would have been a risk at similar night stop locations, unfortunately. This has been going on for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge for LGW sectors, though there was catering at places like LCA and PFO until more recently.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully it won't happen again, but what you should do is pay for some M&S food with Avios and claim the Avios back from BA later. I know of someone who has been successful on this.

Because of the catering all coming from LGW and the overnight stop at EDI then this was somewhat on the cards, and would have been a risk at similar night stop locations, unfortunately. This has been going on for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge for LGW sectors, though there was catering at places like LCA and PFO until more recently.
it certainly won't happen again to me or anyone in my company - I've just informed our travel agency that they should no longer offer BA options to any employee. Petty, but I won't have my money stolen by BA like that.
SK, lhrpete, UAPremierGuy and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
it certainly won't happen again to me or anyone in my company - I've just informed our travel agency that they should no longer offer BA options to any employee. Petty, but I won't have my money stolen by BA like that.
Possibly a bit petty, but fully understandable in the circumstances, though it's unlikely to distress BA hugely. It's not a BA special, I have had a similar problem on EDI-FRA quite recently courtesy of Lufthansa, albeit of lesser impact due to the time of day in that case.

However I would nevertheless complain via the Customer Relations channel for recompense as well.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Of course when this happens the full fare paying passenger sits there smelling the BA breakfast he should be enjoying and feels like a totally second class citizen.

It doesn't take long for this to develop into a seething rage with BA lol.
bafan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.