Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG Quarter 3 2017 results - good performance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Quarter 3 2017 results - good performance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Thanks for being polite, unlike some of the others, who cannot accept any other opinion other than theirs. I think LHR is unique though as a major hub as it is running at 98% capacity with the 2 runways, so expansion is pretty much impossible right now, thus helping BA's cause very much.

And to the other posters calling me uninformed and disagreeing, perhaps it is time you stopped looking at the share price and seeing passenger's opinions? After all, I am just a passenger who flies BA from time to time. Or does BA not care about making its passengers happy anymore, and just wants to increase profits? That really sounds short term to me.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airlin...itish-airways/
All you seem to do is try to find a reason to explain why BA does as well as it does and to explain why passengers continue to choose it despite your personal belief that they should not. You have your own, very strong ideas, of what an airline should be, but it seems that the majority of people simply do not share them. 'Happy' means different things to different people I guess.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yes you are right.

I only look at adjusted operating margin as that is more important to me.
The 21.5% is the adjusted operating margin (adjusted by treating business transformation costs as exceptional).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:09 pm

Ok if you love your share prices so much lets go basic.

IAG share price - > from 434 to 634 in 1 year, a percentage increase of 46%.
LH share price - > from 11.65 to 27.38 in 1 year, a percentage increase of 135%.
AF share price -> 5.56 to 13.32 in 1 year, a percentage increase of 140%.

So in the past year or so ( is it a coincidence it is around the time BOB was introduced) which airline has done better for its investors?

Good performance is relative when you compare it to your competitors.
But it was you who said we need to look long term. I have given you the long term (5 year) growth.

Sorry it's inconvenient for you....
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:24 pm

Looking at my figures I posted in the last post, it seems Alex Cruz and of course, overall Willie Walsh ( i blame him most as he put Alex Cruz there anyway) are underperforming as a CEO's compared to their competition. I wonder if Qatar Airways (they are at 20% now?) buys more shares and put Akbar Al Baker as CEO of IAG. Now that would make things interesting!
I am sure armed with your YouTube analysis shareholders will vote WW and AC out at the next AGM.

Stay close to your phone.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:27 pm

Question

Looking at my figures I posted in the last post, it seems Alex Cruz and of course, overall Willie Walsh ( i blame him most as he put Alex Cruz there anyway) are underperforming as a CEO's compared to their competition. I wonder if Qatar Airways (they are at 20% now?) buys more shares and put Akbar Al Baker as CEO of IAG. Now that would make things interesting!
You need to look at relativety. Share price alone means nothing. It is the same asinine point people make when talking about actual profits.

IAG has had a permium valuation for a while now as measured by most metrics. AFKLM has been the worst. In the same period, over 5 years AF has performed less well than IAG (on both relative and growth metrics), whilst in the last year AF has performed well. Thus when coming off an all time low share price, growth will seem larger as in AFKLM. And there is a limit to have much higher IAG profits can actually grow without growing the top line (in actual terms), AFKLM has a lot more opportunity to cut fat. Thus higher profits, thus happier shareholders. And in most sectors top performers can only be so much higher than the average, but of course outliers exists. I’d argue in a capital intensive industry that will usually not be the case.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Worcester
I question the need to get personal.
Thank you. I can see how it could read and perhaps I should have said 'clearly complimentary catering is important to you...', but the poster I was replying to did use the term 'free stuff' and it seemed appropriate to use the term they offered.

It annoys me too when people are unnecessarily rude, but I always wonder if these things are best left to the mods. They do a good job and I find it's difficult to intervene without escalating the tone or without coming across as high-handed or pompous.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wonder if Qatar Airways (they are at 20% now?) buys more shares and put Akbar Al Baker as CEO of IAG. Now that would make things interesting!
Akbar Baker? There's more chance of the winner of The Great British Bake Off being BA's next CEO.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Which airlines? Certainly not AF, KLM, AZ, LH, LX, OS, TK, AY. So basically pretty much all European legacy airlines!

Are you telling me BA is trying to be a pioneer in EU? lol!
Well I think that's what we're discussing. As you know, I think BoB is here to stay in some form. I think it's the inevitable direction Y travel in Europe is going. There is a similar list of EU airlines that have already made the jump to BoB in some form: SK, AY, BA, EI, IB, although BA is the biggest legacy player to have made the jump.

Some of the airlines you cite have cut complimentary catering in other ways. LH made a significant cut by shifting non-FRA/MUC hub flying to EW. AF are replacing full onboard service on a number of routes that will shift to Joon; as I said if that works well, I can see AF trialling the service model more widely.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:49 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Well I think that's what we're discussing. As you know, I think BoB is here to stay in some form. I think it's the inevitable direction Y travel in Europe is going. There is a similar list of EU airlines that have already made the jump to BoB in some form: SK, AY, BA, EI, IB, although BA is the biggest legacy player to have made the jump.

Some of the airlines you cite have cut complimentary catering in other ways. LH made a significant cut by shifting non-FRA/MUC hub flying to EW. AF are replacing full onboard service on a number of routes that will shift to Joon; as I said if that works well, I can see AF trialling the service model more widely.
And i don't think AF will do this. For a first they clearly claim Joon is an airline dedicated to a segment of the market, created on purpose to differentiate mainline AF for that segment. Not to replace it. The fact Joon replaces AF on 4 services may not be consequential.
Then AF is just out of a phase where they enhance (positivelly) their on-board catering following years of cost cutting leading to poor financial performances. I do not see them suddenly turning 180 degrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.