Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trading ideas with BA - mad or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
I don't work for BA/IAG, but I worked in aersopace for a large org.

IMHO (and I don't wanna put you off, but this is simply reality), option 1.
a 100k saving for a big lumbering multinational like IAG is a minnow, realistically unless that can be implemented in under 3 weeks by a single person working on it, then I cannot see it being done. If an employee suggested a cost improvement project of 100k costing 10k then it would be marginal at those rates whether that was accepted (magnitude of saving too low), and certainly 10k implementation wouldn't be believed (that probably covers a mere 3 management meetings needed just to review and accept the idea).
As for a reward for the idea-generator, they might get a 1k bounty 3 years later if it was patentable and granted, otherwise nowt. (and they wouldn't even bother filing if the benefit was a mere 100k as a typical patent costs 20-50k over life. If it's patented by someone else, reviewing the simplest licencing mechanism can easily cost 10k in company lawyer time)

If an external person suggested it and wanted paying for it -nah, not a chance I'm afraid. 10m? maybe. 50-100k? forget it. Cost/benefit isn't going to stack up after overheads and process compliance required at somewhere like BA. I'm with orbitmic- the only possible way in with such an idea is if they decide to do something like a twitter competition with a prize.

That all being said - don't let it put you off coming up with ideas!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:59 am

An idea that would save between £40k and £80k net? I can't see that would be far up BA's list of priorities when it comes to implementation - what's that, a pound a flight or thereabouts?

Also how do you know it hasn't been picked up before but is currently sitting at number 456 on a list of things to be addressed if they ever have time?

As for getting two J flights I think you are dreaming. Personally I would let it go and get on with your life.....
rossmacd and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
An idea that would save between £40k and £80k net? I can't see that would be far up BA's list of priorities when it comes to implementation - what's that, a pound a flight or thereabouts?

Also how do you know it hasn't been picked up before but is currently sitting at number 456 on a list of things to be addressed if they ever have time?

As for getting two J flights I think you are dreaming. Personally I would let it go and get on with your life.....
Sorry to add to the cold water being poured over this, but there are probably 100s of proposals on various lists at BA, each of which has a better ROI... as alluded to ITT the challenge in a big corporate is not coming up with good ideas, it's getting committed resources to execute them !
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the comments, which were what I needed to hear. I would cheapen my brand associating myself with such trivial things. Normal service resumes.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:33 pm

OK, you work in "aviation".

So apply for a job with BA and at the end of the interview say: I have an idea that can save you 100k, just like that!

Add on that Snr Cruz has said the airline must have cost-cutting in its DNA and chop/chop/chop every day, and you are obviously the ideal candidate!

Then you'll get staff travel and fly F all the time.

Bah humbug to the peasants in CW!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
You are an aviation consultant. Go and sell your services, and do not sell yourself short.
Option 4

If so then he may want to get his foot in the door first and get staff benefits?

Revenue and Pricing Analyst

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/rev...3/description/

Finance Business Partner

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/fin...4/description/

Digital Performance Analyst

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/dig...4/description/
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by madfish
Can an idea be patented?
Calling @KARFA ...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Not trying to pour cold water. My immediate reaction was, "why would you think you are the first one come up with the idea?"
I certainly cant speak for BA, but I worked at large corp, while I know many ways could save money, but that just not company's priority......if the idea is 1,2,3, someone else probably proposed it, tried it and/or failed it, or not worth to implement.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Not trying to pour cold water. My immediate reaction was, "why would you think you are the first one come up with the idea?"
I certainly cant speak for BA, but I worked at large corp, while I know many ways could save money, but that just not company's priority......if the idea is 1,2,3, I can assured you, someone else probably proposed it, tried it and/or failed it.
If that were the case then no-one would ever invent anything new.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by golfmad
If that were the case then no-one would ever invent anything new.
well i am just talking about implementing an idea to save $80k a year in a large corp?
new idea always welcome, just may not have the opportunity to a third party....
if he worked with BA, then, thats different story.
Not easy to sell an idea to large corp unless OP knew someone in BA, if this is the case, he probably dont need to ask in a public forum.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
Calling @KARFA ...
If it is a rather nebulous idea, or perhaps a method of doing something (sometimes terms a business method in the US) then it would be quite hard to claim something. You can do business method claims in the US but generally you can't elsewhere.

If it is something which is more concrete and reduced to practice then much easier to claim something. The example of a mousetrap mentioned up thread is a good one and an easy invention to claim, whereas much more difficult if your "invention" is merely the idea that the mouse needs to be captured with no suggestion of how it would be done.

Cost was also mentioned earlier. Patent applications in the UK have no fees for filing, but the cost really is more to do with getting someone to draft it. There is a lot of skill in drafting the application and a patent attorney would charge somewhere from £1.5k upwards depending on the complexity of the invention. The next costs don't kick in until the 12 month stage but ideally by then you know whether there is a point in continuing. Certainly one approach for lone inventors is to get something filed for their invention prior to talking to potential manufacturers/customers/partners.

If 6F wanted to have some discussions with BA but did not want to incur the cost of filing an application at a bare minimum he should get a CDA executed. Generally these are respected, although if it ever came to it they are tricky to enforce. However, it underlines that your discussions are explicitly confidential.
Jagboi likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Thanks for the comments, which were what I needed to hear. I would cheapen my brand associating myself with such trivial things. Normal service resumes.
The fact you need to ask on a public forum doesn't do much for your 'brand' in 'aviation consulting'.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A large corp that I worked for had a particular Engineer who was a visionary on Combined Heat and Power. One day we were reviewing projects with the Exec Dir responsible for Engineering spend on big projects. He said that if the ******* Visionary Engineer told him about that ******* idea again, he would ******* fire him. The DCF and the RONA were irrelevant.

Some times, ideas and innovations have their moment. Other times they do not, especially when the corp has a huge list of things to do with decent returns.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The DCF and the RONA were irrelevant.
DCF = Discounted Cash Flow
RONA = Return on net assets

for anyone interested.
luftaom likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA
If 6F wanted to have some discussions with BA but did not want to incur the cost of filing an application at a bare minimum he should get a CDA executed. Generally these are respected, although if it ever came to it they are tricky to enforce. However, it underlines that your discussions are explicitly confidential.
Wouldn’t the other party have to sign the CDA? Would BA even entertain this?

But presumably you cannot patent ideas such as ‘replace the 1g salt and pepper sachets by 0.5g ones’ which is a pure operational idea and not a new design or a new concept?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.