Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Status match with Air Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
BA Status match with Air Berlin

British Airways is offering airberlin topbonus members who are equivalent to oneworld Ruby tier status or above the opportunity to join the BA Executive Club as a Bronze Member.

In addition, if you take 4 flights with us before the 31 December 2017 they will also credit your account with 9,000 bonus Avios.

https://www.britishairways.com/de-de...98533#search-1
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
BA I am impressed! Although Iberia are matching to Oneworld Sapphire for Air Berlin Gold and Platinum cards BA offering Bronze is certainly still good and the avios makes it worth doing itself.

So does this mean that if you get matched to Bronze you only need to gain another 300 TPs for Silver?

Thanks for alerting the forum to this! This will be of benefit to a lot of people I'm sure!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA SI;KLM SI;AE SI
Originally Posted by tomparskate
BA I am impressed! Although Iberia are matching to Oneworld Sapphire for Air Berlin Gold and Platinum cards BA offering Bronze is certainly still good and the avios makes it worth doing itself.

So does this mean that if you get matched to Bronze you only need to gain another 300 TPs for Silver?

Thanks for alerting the forum to this! This will be of benefit to a lot of people I'm sure!
As far as I know, you have to collect 600 TPs to jump up to Silver. If you do this AB switch, your TPs will still be zero. They just reward you with Avios if you do those 4 flights.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I see it is also open only for those who are German residents?

Surely BA won't be that strict and stop their own UK customers from doing a status match here?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Suppose one must have had elite tier status with AB and this doesn't work for non-status members.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And does it work for existing BAEC members? I only keep my BAEC address in the U.K. so I can benefit from offers there and using Avios.com. Being British I didn't see any need to change it to my German address.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Suppose one must have had elite tier status with AB and this doesn't work for non-status members.
You mean base status...but the Avios bonus for the flights? Interesting idea.... why not call?

EDIT : Hmm.. the linked announcement is pretty specific... Ruby and above equivalents....
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
And does it work for existing BAEC members? I only keep my BAEC address in the U.K. so I can benefit from offers there and using Avios.com. Being British I didn't see any need to change it to my German address.
the link provided by the OP says it does...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by trooper
You mean base status...but the Avios bonus for the flights? Interesting idea.... why not call?

EDIT : Hmm.. the linked announcement is pretty specific... Ruby and above equivalents....
Actually just realized I was still AB Silver until next April, but alas no German address.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Email sended. Wait for answer
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Wonder why they match up to bronze only. Presumably the AB Platinums will be headed to Lufty...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Anyone else have issues with the email they provided? [email protected]
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I will add my Einwohnermeld Bescheinigung, proving I live in Germany, and see what they make of that. Those very words above should look official enough!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tomparskate
That is not how status matches work. That said, if any of you has a way better record (e.g. the sort of flying level that would have got you GGL or above but for whatever reason you chose to stick to AB FFP) I would send a copy of the statement and ask if any more generous offer exists.

BA is not usually a status matcher, but ad hoc matches do happen in various circumstances, and besides, here, they are signalling an interest in matching in principle. Any hope to get sapphire for sapphire is unreasonable, but I wouldn't be surprised if outstanding flying pattern were considered separately.

Note: this is an uninformed guess, not some coded suggestion that I 'know' they are interested. Though my point on ad hoc status matches being a reality is based on facts.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I kinda get why they wonīt match to OWE. But BA, come on. Itīs a bit cheap to match OWE on AB to OWR on BAEC. At least match them to OWS so they can keep their usual perks(Lounge access, extra luggage etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.