Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dailymail- Bed bugs on BA Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I am curious now, how airlines do deal with an infestation of parasites.

Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
This is horrific. The issue is more of these critters hitching a ride back home and infesting the family home. This can cost several £k and many weeks of depression. Im sure BA would simply apologize and wave their hands as there is no proof it happened on the plane.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:41 am

Bedbugs like locations where food is plentiful (human blood), available at most times (high occupancy situations - hotels,planes) and tend to prefer areas that are rarely cleaned by vacuuming etc.
BA planes might just fit all these criteria and in particular the last one.
After being bitten by bedbugs in BA F on an A380 back from LAX a couple of years ago, I have not had any further incidents. As others have posted it is a very unpleasant experience and if the critters catch a ride on luggage,clothes etc to your home then it could well turn into a nightmare experience.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Very true.

I actually got bitten on a recent flight from Hong Kong in First. These things happen.
Likewise on a recent QR flight out of BKK. Three lovely lumps on my leg that was attacked in the foot coffin!

A non issue really unless the bites become infected.

Last edited by passy777; Oct 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Bed Bug Airways Again

Local CTV news just reported a bed bug incident on a BA (Bedbug Airways) flight from YVR to LHR last week, the 2 pax had photos of bugs on board and staff would not move them due to flight being full. Photos of nasty bites also shown. I recall a similar incident reported last year where the aircraft was knowingly kept in service for at least 4 days after the bed bugs were reported. I wonder how often this occurs and what checks/prevention BA performs against these and other pests.

New surcharge in the works - bedbug prevention surcharge, or will there be a bedbug free zone in Y for an additional charge.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It is being discussed in the following topic: Dailymail- Bed bugs on BA Flight?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Have to wonder if this could have been avoided by proper cleaning of the cabin to ensure there is no food debris left in the crack and crevasses of the interior? It's well known that a considerable portion of the fleet is nowhere near "white glove" clean.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by passy777
Likewise on a recent QR flight out of BKK. Three lovely lumps on my leg that was attacked in the foot coffin!

A non issue really unless the bites become infected.
Take some bed bugs home with you and see if you still think it's a non issue.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Hot off the press

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41685266
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
FYI ... I encountered 'the little offenders' in our usual hotel near D.C., back in September 2009. Friends immediately identified the cause, and so we spoke to Reception. Having checked our bed, and found a few wandering around looking for another meal of T8191, the response was immediate and impressive.
  • We were told to immediately go and have a shower, put on clean clothes, and move to another suite, leaving everything behind. Do NOT re-enter the old suite!
  • All our clothes were taken to be dry-cleaned, FOC.
  • Hard products [shoes, wash-bags etc] were passed to us in the new suite only after checking by the hotel's staff.
  • The room was sealed for treatment.

They took it very seriously, and it required substantial effort [and expense] on their part to address the issue. They are very hard to eradicate, and an aircraft cabin is an ideal home once they get on board.

Those B-Bs could have travelled from anywhere in the World, hitching a ride. B-Bs are everywhere ... they travel in luggage, on clothing, and even on your person. Mercifully this was our only encounter [so far], but there's every chance we will have another one, somewhere, some day.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
BA offering them a free upgrade to business class on the way home? First time I heard of that!
Perhaps I should push for the same after my experience getting bitten in First!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Flew back from MIA to LHR a few weeks ago in WTP. not sure what it was but came back with a rash that spread quickly for days. I’m almost 99% sure it was something I picked up on the flight.

Was itching non stop and even called GP but by the time I got an appointment it had passed. Was always worse at night.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:51 pm

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do people still read the Daily Mail? No wonder the country is in the proverbial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.