Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA charged twice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have not advised where your parents or their credit card issuer (bank) is located. In most countries there is a relatively simply chargeback / dispute process through the card issuer and it is especially easy in the case of duplicate charges.

Unless your parents used a card in a country with no such process, I would do this immediately. Many countries have specific time limits.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:51 pm

Are you sure?

When you books 2 people on 1 flight - it charges them separately on my amex

so £250 at the time of booking but

£125
£125

On amex?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by florens
I always book for two pax and it's always just one transaction and never has the ticket number on it. But the I don't have a UK card which might explain this.
My experience is different from yours. I have booked BA from the US using a US card. It generated two, separate charges on my card, one charge per passenger.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
My experience is different from yours. I have booked BA from the US using a US card. It generated two, separate charges on my card, one charge per passenger.
FWIW: I just checked my statement for two tickets on one PNR charged to a Chase card (US) and the entry showed the price for both but only one ticket number and no evidence that it covered two tickets.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by ssivagn
Hi,

My elderly parents bought BA ticket online with their credit card and after a while realized that they had been charged twice. I have been helping them make the calls to BA customer service and we seem to be going nowhere after multiple calls to BA. We even sent them the credit card statement with the duplicate charge. The listing on the credit card even have the ticket numbers from the same itinerary. BA keeps telling us to call back a week later and it has been months now. Anyone faced similar issue?. I really dont know how to get BA to reverse the charges which is nearly around $3000. The credit card company is another story who wouldnt start a dispute since it is from a legitimate company but that is not relevant topic in this forum. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have an authorisation code and meechant ref for both transactions?

If so BA can search by these or from the long card number to see what happened.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Originally Posted by MADPhil
FWIW: I just checked my statement for two tickets on one PNR charged to a Chase card (US) and the entry showed the price for both but only one ticket number and no evidence that it covered two tickets.
AIUI, this can depend on whether you're booking directly with the airline or through a travel agent, and (if the latter) whether you're booking a published fare or a net/consolidator/negotiated fare.

If the airline is putting the charge on the credit card, whether the booking was made directly with the airline or through a travel agent using a published fare, there will typically be a separate charge for each ticket.

If booking a net/consolidator/negotiated fare or similar through a travel agent, I would normally expect one charge from the travel agent (not the airline) for the entire amount.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough details from the OP to work out what's happened - although I suspect that there wouldn't have been a plea for help if the total charged had been correct and it just happened to have been split into two charges, one for each ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
AIUI, this can depend on whether you're booking directly with the airline or through a travel agent, and (if the latter) whether you're booking a published fare or a net/consolidator/negotiated fare.

If the airline is putting the charge on the credit card, whether the booking was made directly with the airline or through a travel agent using a published fare, there will typically be a separate charge for each ticket.

If booking a net/consolidator/negotiated fare or similar through a travel agent, I would normally expect one charge from the travel agent (not the airline) for the entire amount.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough details from the OP to work out what's happened - although I suspect that there wouldn't have been a plea for help if the total charged had been correct and it just happened to have been split into two charges, one for each ticket.
My booking was made directly with BA, however it was in a sale that gave a discount for two people so that may have affected the processing.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not answer the simple question as to where they are located and where their credit card issuer (bank) is located? That will inform next steps.

Speculation as to how or what happened is not really relevant. All your parents care about is having an offsetting transaction issued, whether by BA or their bank, for the duplicate charge.

If you answer the two questions, you will get a quick answer here.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I want to provide an update. BA called and apologized and they reversed the second charge. The explanation they gave was that the customer service personnel who reissued the ticket mistakenly charged the amount again!
EsherFlyer and Tocsin like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Thanks a lot for coming back to report the result!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:04 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:51 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SvenAge
Great result! Very happy that BA was able to fix the error promptly.
Are you reading a different thread?

Doesn't sound that prompt bearing in mind the OP's reported multiple calls and mention of it taking months to resolve.

I have been helping them make the calls to BA customer service and we seem to be going nowhere after multiple calls to BA
BA keeps telling us to call back a week later and it has been months now.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:39 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:49 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SvenAge
Interesting points. Quite often communicating the right message to the right people can take a long time. I suspect that this was the biggest challenge in this example.
Yes, just a shame it took multiple calls and months to sort out though rather than it being done promptly. If you think this is prompt and good service by BA I hate to think what you would see as poor and slow service.

I am aware of BAs prompt action. Earlier this month they refunded me four separate tickets, each within 2 days of the cancellation. A very satisfactory response compared to how an italian carrier operated earlier in the year.
What has this got to do with the OP's issue?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:53 am

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:48 pm Reason: deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.