Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Pilfering

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Glad you’re keeping it going too!
But I’m not complaining about it. I quite enjoy the odd thread like this. Although it long ceased to have relevance to BA. I can feel the mods stretching the finger of authority in preparation to exercise restraint over us mere mortals.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by dougzz
But I’m not complaining about it. I quite enjoy the odd thread like this. Although it long ceased to have relevance to BA. I can feel the mods stretching the finger of authority in preparation to exercise restraint over us mere mortals.
I wasn't complaining about it either.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I was in T5 GF on Friday afternoon(10th), my partner fancied a JWB but there was none out. We saw another gentleman asking one of the lounge staff, and they came out of the room behind the bar, and poured the gentleman a glass, then took the bottle back into the room. So my partner asked for a glass, and asked why it was being poured on request. Apparently the lounge staff had caught someone that morning filling up a water bottle with it, and they had decided to keep it supervised and provide it on request - whether its permanent, I don't know.
T8191, Tobias-UK and tedcruz like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GK1981
I was in T5 GF on Friday afternoon(10th), my partner fancied a JWB but there was none out. We saw another gentleman asking one of the lounge staff, and they came out of the room behind the bar, and poured the gentleman a glass, then took the bottle back into the room. So my partner asked for a glass, and asked why it was being poured on request. Apparently the lounge staff had caught someone that morning filling up a water bottle with it, and they had decided to keep it supervised and provide it on request - whether its permanent, I don't know.
Great...no more water bottles of average whisky being guzzled on the plane.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:19 pm

An FT member recently posted about doing this. If this is a permanent move then somehow I'm not surprised.
HIDDY and GK1981 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by smokie36
Great...no more water bottles of average whisky being guzzled on the plane.
Surely you mean 'expensive'?

It's no surprise at all that staff are having to hide the stuff. It goes to show that the shameful, selfish behaviour of a few spoils it for the rest.
HIDDY, rossmacd, 'andad and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Surely you mean 'expensive'?

It's no surprise at all that staff are having to hide the stuff. It goes to show that the shameful, selfish behaviour of a few spoils it for the rest.
Those who know their whisky understand that less is more.

I find this new policy most satisfying indeed.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Those who know their whisky understand that less is more.

I find this new policy most satisfying indeed.
I suspect those that know their whisky wouldn't be touching JWB to start with
HIDDY, Doccykins, smokie36 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by KARFA
It is not bad. But I am pretty sure BA is doing themselves a disservice by paying so much for JW Blue where I see a lot of single malts to be better value.

If galleries first had a couple of good single malts and better beer I might justify a TP run to qualify, but it seems like I won't be drinking in airports for a while.

Maybe it's just meant to keep me healthy... Although those cookies in the business lounge sure are tasty.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by thebigben
But I am pretty sure BA is doing themselves a disservice by paying so much for JW Blue where I see a lot of single malts to be better value.
We do not really know how much BA pays for it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
When I passed through Galleries F on Sunday, November 12th, the JWB was out. It looks like this fellow thankfully didn't spoil the experience permanently. Of course, I'm sure he'll be back...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I don't touch whisky anymore (it makes me angry, you wo... no wait), however, growing up in Scotland, I got the impression Johnnie Walker was an american aimed brand. It's not there for the whisky lovers or the scots, but the US based people who like to think they are whisky lovers (or scots), when they're not. Some expect the more expensive one as part of the premium experience. But good? I believe not... Personally can't comment on the quality, Tesco's Speyside Malt was more my hulk smash tipple...
rossmacd and Worcester like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
well, I don’t know if I ‘know my whisky’ but I certainly don’t touch the thing.

im not in the ‘less is more’ category though: I have in due time paid a lot more than is reasonable (though a lot less than it would cost now) for a certain flush of Port Ellen that would make many jealous, but I wouldn’t buy JWB even if it were 75% off.
Worcester likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Smid
I don't touch whisky anymore (it makes me angry, you wo... no wait), however, growing up in Scotland, I got the impression Johnnie Walker was an american aimed brand. It's not there for the whisky lovers or the scots, but the US based people who like to think they are whisky lovers (or scots), when they're not. Some expect the more expensive one as part of the premium experience. But good? I believe not... Personally can't comment on the quality, Tesco's Speyside Malt was more my hulk smash tipple...
When you see some of the really great malts available in Duty Free at a cheaper price than JWB you really have to ask just how out of touch the BA management is.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
When you see some of the really great malts available in Duty Free at a cheaper price than JWB you really have to ask just how out of touch the BA management is.
In fairness, if the average lounge goer only knows one super premium Scotch, it is probably JW Blue.

Sort of the same thing with Dom Perignon. Tons of Champagne out there better than Dom, most of it at less money, but consumers know Dom is expensive, so it "must be good".
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.