Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Hello mate!'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd have expected part of it ("mate" bit - "hello" may be replaced by "Hiya"...) from QF from time to time but usually not BA. My response may have been "Not in Sin'ny* already, are we?"

*That's a lazy way of saying "Sydney"
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
is the greeting I just received upon boarding my (eurofleet) flight.

Now, I pride myself on being very laid back and informal, including in many professional contexts where I would be entitled to a certain formality, but maybe there are limits to all good things, and even by my informal standards, this is beyond it.
If it bothered you, I suspect you aren't as "laid back and informal" as you perhaps think. Not least by referring to being entitled to a certain formality!!

if it made you uncomfortable certainly raise it with BA, but I'm not sure trying to objectively assess your level of informality reinforces your point.
Dan72, HIDDY, GaxxyFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Not overly-keen on the Hello Mate ...... more in tune with my Ryanair experiences.

Have had a fair few "Hi, how ya goin ?" on QF (but that's not uncommon in some good Aussie restaurants too)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Does not matter if it doesn't bother you , i bet you it would annoy BA HQ thou.

I do have to say I'm not uptight with greetings , but hello mate is too casual....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
My preference for greeting customers is Allo Cocker for the gentleman and Allo Me Darling for the ladies.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
My preference for greeting customers is Allo Cocker for the gentleman and Allo Me Darling for the ladies.
I thought it was Ello Governor !?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cocker is more working class and suits our customers better.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me Sir no Sir.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also support orbitmic on this, I hope he has recovered his sensibilities via the usual routes. I've only been called "mate" once by flight crew, and yes it was on Qantas. I was called "Boy" on SAA, going back to the Stone Age (in more ways than one).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was called "Boy" on SAA, going back to the Stone Age (in more ways than one).
Still happens , "my boy", "bru" and " my man" is typical SAA terminology. So BA seem to not be doing so bad after all
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Still happens , "my boy", "bru" and " my man" is typical SAA terminology. So BA seem to not be doing so bad after all
It's coming back to me now. I had one of those amazing Philips CD players when they were first released in 1984 / 1985:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discman

My pride and joy at that time too.

The Afrikaaner SCCM took one look at it, and said with a pretty ruthless tone for Business Class: "You're not using that on here boy!" - and that was the end of that. I went out humming that notorious Spitting Image sketch instead, but that was probably lost on him.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
The "mate" is overly familiar and just not appropriate. See also "guys" from a previous thread on this topic.

If I'm trying to get the attention of a crewmember, I don't call out "mate", I say "excuse me". This goes both ways.

A simple "good morning/afternoon/evening" or "welcome aboard" skirts this whole issue -- if a significant contingent of crew do not want to address customers as sir/madam, there's the solution.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
I should also add that if we do ultimately go full-informal, then I would prefer to be addressed as "a'right pal, you'll have had your tea then?"
squawk likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think its 65?

I prefer being called Sir on board to be honest, but it seems flying is getting more and more informal!
Me too.... Sir or 'mradey' if recognised.

mradey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.