Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is the smallest aircraft you can earn tier points on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the smallest aircraft you can earn tier points on?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You can also do the SUN-AIR J31 on the Oslo-Alborg route. One of my friends did it earlier this year.... Just because, no other reason ☺

There is indeed a disturbingly doable day trip from Oslo. Can't barely restrain my booking fingers
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
AA codeshares on some routes from STL operated by Cape Air on Cessna 402's. When booked as AA-marketed, these are elite qualifying flights in AAdvantage. Not sure what that looks like for BAEC.

(If you're the lucky passenger who gets to sit in the co-pilot seat, you're requested not to touch anything.)
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by BA6501
You can easily hear the autopilot disconnect on Airbus from the first few rows, especially from row 1.
In FC on AA MD 80s you can hear the robovoice altimeter through the cockpit door counting down altitude in 10-foot increments on final until touchdown.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
AA codeshares on some routes from STL operated by Cape Air on Cessna 402's. When booked as AA-marketed, these are elite qualifying flights in AAdvantage. Not sure what that looks like for BAEC.
Probably not TP-earning, as it's presumably a oneworld partner flight operated by a non-partner airline - see the bottom of this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
How about the Loganair Britten Norman Islander when booked as a BA codeshare? According to their website with 8 seats trumps the SUN-AIR J31 by another 10 seats (and a cabin crew member!)
Until 2004 the Orkney inter-island flights were included in the BA franchise, and could be booked on BA.com. I believe you could earn miles and points on them in the same way as any other BA flight, including presumably the 2-minute Westray to Papa Westray flight! I daresay the teachers and bankers who flew daily around the North Isles could have done quite well out of it if they'd been so inclined...

After that, Loganair sold those flights directly, and in some ways the journey is treated more like a bus trip than a flight. Even now you have to phone up or e-mail to reserve a seat on the flight, and then when you check in you're presented with a laminated boarding pass that you have to return at the other end. If you're lucky you might get to sit next to the pilot.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Probably not TP-earning, as it's presumably a oneworld partner flight operated by a non-partner airline - see the bottom of this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights

Bah. Mind you I may have to try that when I get over there next.

Last edited by bisonrav; Sep 21, 2017 at 9:59 am Reason: syntax error on line 10
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I am officially in love with Cape Air

https://www.capeair.com/flying_with_...figuration.pdf
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Slightly OT but I did notice that LHR to DXB via AUH includes a ride on the Etihad shuttle bus EY5432. The bus seems to be given booking class W.

Does this earn tier points?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No Avios, no TPs unfortunately.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Danwriter
In FC on AA MD 80s you can hear the robovoice altimeter through the cockpit door counting down altitude in 10-foot increments on final until touchdown.
You mean GPWS callouts? "50", "40", "30", "20", "10", "Retard".

Apparently no OW airlines operates the Beechcraft 1900.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by geordiejetsetter
Slightly OT but I did notice that LHR to DXB via AUH includes a ride on the Etihad shuttle bus EY5432. The bus seems to be given booking class W.

Does this earn tier points?
It would be funny if it did.

SAS used to operate a hovercraft service from CPH to Malmo which I think you could earn and redeem on.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
The back row was like a school bus and I was positioned in the middle rear seat… Stop press:Found the picture I took
Yes! That last row of seats is brilliant because people normally don't choose to sit in the last row. I always book the middle seat (i.e. the seat at the end of the aisle) and then lie down fully across all five seats for a snooze

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I am officially in love with Cape Air
It's particularly fun when they ask for volunteers to sit in the co-pilot seat
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
You mean GPWS callouts? "50", "40", "30", "20", "10", "Retard".

Apparently no OW airlines operates the Beechcraft 1900.
Piedmont (now merged into AA, but via US before that) used to fly them into my childhood airport of IPT. I remember climbing over that hump and I think I was stuck in the only middle seat once, but it also had the best legroom, as it was literally in the aisle with no seats directly in front for the whole length of the cabin! That was a few years back, though.

The DH8's still operate in and out of there, and although still very small, used to seem a jumbo next to the beechcrafts. Definitely earns TPs now, but I don't know if there are routes with an even smaller OW aircraft operating.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatExp

It's particularly fun when they ask for volunteers to sit in the co-pilot seat

I'd go straight for that.

Going to have a go at this next time I'm in Chicago, it's an easy day trip to Marion via St Louis as a weekend escapade. Tier points or no, it's irresistible.

And plotting a trip to Aarborg via Oslo and Helsinki when I can get Finnair to allow me the booking. Currently it crashes out with an error when I try.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Cape air as mentioned have

Britten Norman Islander with 9 Rev seats.
atr42 with 46 seats
Cessna 402c with 9 seats

I could not convince my wife and kids to take this as the MIA-STT hop. Would have almost been a private flight.

Last edited by SMHarman; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:11 am Reason: Seats in atr42

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.