Wiki Posts
Search

AA's new B class within a BA booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
AA's new B class within a BA booking

Been looking at a flight from BOS-JFK-LHR.

The outbound portion books into K for the JFK-BOS AA flight but the BOS-JFK bit is B and that's AA's new super cheap basic economy cabin with zero benefits.

Any ideas how this works within a BA booking (on BA.com and all other flights on BA metal).
Does AA's zero TP, Avios etc. apply?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by xenole
Been looking at a flight from BOS-JFK-LHR.

The outbound portion books into K for the JFK-BOS AA flight but the BOS-JFK bit is B and that's AA's new super cheap basic economy cabin with zero benefits.

Any ideas how this works within a BA booking (on BA.com and all other flights on BA metal).
Does AA's zero TP, Avios etc. apply?
so far the default position has always been that a bucket not listed on the baec page earns zero indeed. Within ba booking or not shouldn't make a difference
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Is this an AA prime flight number in fare class B or a BA code share in fare class B?
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I believe you are trying to purchase a WTP ticket from BOS to LHR via JFK? The domestic flight will be sold as a BA flight, and B class is full fare class on BA (earning maximum Avios and TPs in the cabin).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is this an AA prime flight number in fare class B or a BA code share in fare class B?
No idea.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If it's on ba.com then presumably your BOS-JFK is BAxxxx operated by American Airlines, which is coming up as selling class B. I highly doubt that would translate into AAxxxx in B.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you are getting a quote on ba.com then the AA domestic flight should be listed under a BA flight number.

Based on that if you look at the BA.com calculator, enter BOS-JFK, and BA as the airline, B selling class gets you 20 TPs and 1000 avios.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
If you are getting a quote on ba.com then the AA domestic flight should be listed under a BA flight number.

Based on that if you look at the BA.com calculator, enter BOS-JFK, and BA as the airline, B selling class gets you 20 TPs and 1000 avios.
So that's definitely worth looking at especially if I could get an A321T. Already got one flight coming up where I've stuck myself in the business cabin.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:50 am

No idea.
Is the flight AAnnn or BAnnn?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is the flight AAnnn or BAnnn?
BA5615 then American Airlines beneath it.

I've gone and booked it so it should tell me if it's 20TP or 0.
Only £3 more to add in BOS-JFK, so if it is 20TP, that suits me
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You will 100% earn under the marketing flight number, which is BA in B class, so 20 TPs and Avios.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:17 am

BA5615 then American Airlines beneath it.

I've gone and booked it so it should tell me if it's 20TP or 0.
Only £3 more to add in BOS-JFK, so if it is 20TP, that suits me
If it's a BA flight number then you should look at the TP/Avios earning calculator and select BA as the carrier to see how many TPs/Avios are offered for the BA fare code. The metal (and the underlying AA flight number and fare code) is irrelevant.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

We know the TP calculator can be flaky sometimes, but I do have the flight down as 20TP in MMB now and also got a seat in the business cabin for the 40 mins flight + whatever taxiing etc. Good result for me.

Been using that a bit recently when booking US internal flights. Got a few that are booking into things that give 20TP instead of 10TP for a negligible price difference.
Just trying to avoid AA's B class at present unless I fancy a cheap day out or something.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Been using that a bit recently when booking US internal flights. Got a few that are booking into things that give 20TP instead of 10TP for a negligible price difference.
This does seem to a be a sweet spot : I've also got a booking where an AA domestic flight (with a BAxxxx flight number) connecting into BA transatlantic has booked into B, paying 20 TPs for just a nominal extra fare over the BA flight itself.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:46 am

AA Basic Economy (B): Zero TPs/Avios?

The avios flight calculator on BA.com does not show booking class B (basic economy) on AA operated/coded flights. Does that mean zero avios and TPs if I book such fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.