Wiki Posts
Search

USing BA Avios points is a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Becksr
thank you everyone for your replies - I will spend some time going through them all. I do understand the points about using them for AA but both of us hate AA and avoid them as much as we can. So I don't think I will be able to persuade my husband to fly AA back to England!

We live in Rochester NY, we don't fly often now, both working from home and no reason to fly back to UK more than once a year. We often can't be that flexible when we fly, but I will take another look at the dates. Also, we don't have a huge amount of money at moment, just moved house, so buying expensive flights, even with a possibility to upgrade, is out. So are hotel stays.

But thanks again, I will keep looking. Quite frankly, I would rather give them away than lose them. It's such a pity I can't use them for shopping or something - like I can with United miles!
Take a "Rewards for Thoughts" survey, which will earn you a few Avios at no cost -- other than your time -- and which will extend the validity date of your Avios. Or rent a car from Avis at ROC for one weekend day later this Fall when Avis will probably have cheap, weekend specials again.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP -- or any other BAEC member -- has occasion to be in an airport in a major U.S. city on a Thursday or Friday, this Avis deal might be a good way to pick up some Avios at relatively low cost:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...-onewayairport

Caveat: I have not taken advantage of this Avis deal yet, so cannot confirm that the 12-hour rental from an airport qualifies as mileage-earning.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I help a lot of people for free in the Reddit Award Travel forum. I also offer award booking as a paid service via AwardCat.

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
You have a very well written article based on your tremendous knowledge on how frequent flyer programs work. Unfortunately, most people do not have that knowledge or experience. Maybe you may wish to consider offering, at least initially, a free service, from your web page, of helping others find flights, provided it does not take too much of your time. If the requests go beyond what you can spare with your free time, you can charge a fee and monetize your efforts.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
I help a lot of people for free in the Reddit Award Travel forum. I also offer award booking as a paid service via AwardCat.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, why do you call one of your sites seat31b?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:54 am

Hi Becksr, I live in Syracuse and also use Avios, so very similar options to yours. Avios are great for short domestic flights, especially for last-minute bookings. I know you don't like AA but for a quick flight to Chicago or Washington it should not be too bad and it gives you lots of options in terms of weekend trips. If you don't find a better use for your Avios, you could even burn them on the hotel. Basically, if you have about 100k Avios you should be able to book return tickets for the both of you to a place like Washington and two hotel nights. It's not the most efficient use of your Avios, but much better than letting them expire.

In addition, as well as the advice to look for options from Toronto, I would try Buffalo (or even Syracuse), award availability is usually different from each of these airports.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.