FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   My first long haul economy flight in 17 years (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862491-my-first-long-haul-economy-flight-17-years.html)

capt787 Aug 23, 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28721217)
I took the whole family on a Viking fare and they weren't impressed with the whole ex-EU thing. Heathens!

Having never received an upgrade of any sort I'm not expecting my luck to change tomorrow!

I am BA Gold and got upgraded from eco to eco+ including my partner...depending on how many people on your booking...you never know!

Wish you a pleasant trip :)

frenzie01 Aug 23, 2017 5:48 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28720978)
The blow will be softened by having an aisle one side of me and a child the other side so elbow and leg room could be worse. Fortunately the return TATL was booked in W and UUA'd to J when when the flights were booked last year.

Umm... I would not say that any blow is softened by having a child next to you but... hope you enjoyed your flight.

miamiflyer8 Aug 23, 2017 6:14 am

As long as I have an exit row or a bulkhead, longhaul Y isn't that bad.

Pascoe Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am

I remember longhaul Y LHR >> LAX repeatedly in the 70s and 80s. Let's not forget how far we've come since those days...

710 77345 Aug 23, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28724471)
I fully expect our WT meals, especially as Youngest BerksFlyer has a child's meal ordered.

You should be getting the WTP catering.

BerksFlyer Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by frenzie01 (Post 28724923)
Umm... I would not say that any blow is softened by having a child next to you but... hope you enjoyed your flight.

She's my child, and she was an absolute delight for the whole flight as always! She gave me all the elbow room I needed too, which is why the blow was softened, even in WTP.

Originally Posted by 710 77345 (Post 28725101)
You should be getting the WTP catering.

And we did. The CC were great when I discreetly pointed out the upgrade. They tracked the child's meal down and delivered it promptly.

IAN-UK Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by G-ARVE (Post 28724807)
Also I've found that removing the temptation to address boredom via the drinks trolley has a significant and positive effect on one's arrival and post-arrival condition.

I note others promote alcohol as the route to economy-class nirvana.

But I'm with you on this. Confused and emotional or hungover are not the best ways to greet Auckland on a pre-dawn arrival.

criso Aug 24, 2017 5:18 am

Most of my flying is in economy and while I manage, I wouldn't say I come off a long haul flight smiling.

My last was a friday overnight SIN - LHR and I was tired before I began as I had arrived Sunday and worked Mon - Fri with jetlag.

I can't sleep properly unless I lie flat so will doze but not sleep. I had booked a bulkhead seat on the outside but the sound on my IFE was faulty so got moved. Luckily to another bulkhead but mid row.

I had eaten before getting to the airport so food was adequate but drinks were less forthcoming. The crew walked down a couple of times with trays of water/juice but I wasn't able to get their attention. My neighbours were soundly sleeping with legs stretched out and belongings everywhere so that getting out wasn't as easy as it should be. It was possible but that extra difficulty meant I didn't get up to get a drink (yes partly my fault) and so landed feeling dehydrated, nauseaou and completely shattered. I ended up having to have a sit down at heathrow and some drinks/coffee before I could face the final bit of the journey.

It's a necessity of work and don't work with clients who are prepared to pay for business but it can be a bit of an endurance.

Not just a BA thing, I had a terrible flight with MAH where I didn't have a bulkhead/exit row and the pitch was so tight I couldn't fit my legs without slanting them sideways and had to ask the person in front not to recline as there wasn't physically room for my legs if he did.

miamiflyer8 Aug 24, 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by criso (Post 28729480)
I can't sleep properly unless I lie flat so will doze but not sleep

I'm the same, never slept any in Y.

Pascoe Aug 24, 2017 6:45 am

I haven't had to to it long haul for a while now (and short haul I don't care - if I fall asleep naturally great, not that bothered if not).

But when last I did on a regular basis I found a method that worked for me;

1) Optimal amount of food and drink. Definitely a couple of glasses of red, but try and avoid too much more than that.
2) Optimal clothing. Light layers and nothing too difficult to add / remove so that the amount you wake yourself if you need to tweak it mid flight is minimised
3) Use the blanket or a hooded sweatshirt to completely cover the head. If a hoody, use the drawstring too.
4) Inside this little cocoon I have my ipod, with in ear buds (in lieu of ear plugs) and a selected quiet playlist. I find this better than no sound.

I didn't always get fully asleep that way, but I did find that it allowed my mind to disengage and at least get to that half sleeping state pretty consistently.

But it's a totally personal approach.

My $0.02

BerksFlyer Jan 29, 2020 7:55 am

After failing to achieve this long haul flight in Economy in 2017 I will ale most certainly get the pleasure tomorrow.

Should I survive the experience I’ll feed back on how my first long haul economy flight in almost 20 years went!!

HIDDY Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 32007823)
After failing to achieve this long haul flight in Economy in 2017 I will ale most certainly get the pleasure tomorrow.

Should I survive the experience I’ll feed back on how my first long haul economy flight in almost 20 years went!!

Just a shame you're a Gold as you won't get to enjoy the full Y longhaul experience. Especially on the ground. :)

IntVic Jan 29, 2020 8:15 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 32007897)
Just a shame you're a Gold as you won't get to enjoy the full Y longhaul experience. Especially on the ground. :)

To really enjoy the experience you should avoid First and Business class check in, request a middle seat down the back, don't visit any lounge and board with group 5... just a thought :D

ShortDog Jan 29, 2020 10:19 am

Originally Posted by IntVic (Post 32007924)
...board with group 5...

Seems like that happens even if you are First/Gold.