FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   My first long haul economy flight in 17 years (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862491-my-first-long-haul-economy-flight-17-years.html)

BerksFlyer Aug 22, 2017 8:15 am

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years

Tomorrow I'll take my first long haul economy flight in 17 years. Thanks to UUA and ex-EU I have managed to avoid long haul economy for that long but due to this being a family holiday the ex-EU option was too much hard work (for others, not me!) and the UUA option never came up.

The blow will be softened by having an aisle one side of me and a child the other side so elbow and leg room could be worse. Fortunately the return TATL was booked in W and UUA'd to J when when the flights were booked last year.

I guess the biggest positive will be that I will appreciate all future premium cabin flights even more!

ahmetdouas Aug 22, 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28720978)
Tomorrow I'll take my first long haul economy flight in 17 years. Thanks to UUA and ex-EU I have managed to avoid long haul economy for that long but due to this being a family holiday the ex-EU option was too much hard work (for others, not me!) and the UUA option never came up.

The blow will be softened by having an aisle one side of me and a child the other side so elbow and leg room could be worse. Fortunately the return TATL was booked in W and UUA'd to J when when the flights were booked last year.

I guess the biggest positive will be that I will appreciate all future premium cabin flights even more!

What aircraft?
Where to?

Then we can see how bad it will be = )

seaskybound Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am

I fly BA LH WT all the time. I get on smiling and get off smiling. In between I sleep for 10hrs + . It seems many in CW/F can't stand their flights.

it's all in the mind

windowontheAside Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am

Alternatively, you could realise that it's not actually as bad as some make out, and may even be a sensible choice for future trips given the potential time / money saving...

(That was my reaction after a recent Y jaunt to Jakarta, albeit in a bulk head window with an empty middle seat)

BerksFlyer Aug 22, 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28720992)
What aircraft?
Where to?

Then we can see how bad it will be = )

LHR-JFK on an 86J 747 (assuming no change of metal). 10 across suits this family of four and it should be new IFE too. I obviously avoided the 787 at all costs!

Cymro Aug 22, 2017 8:34 am

Oh right, so you'll be upgraded then.

ahmetdouas Aug 22, 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28721042)
LHR-JFK on an 86J 747 (assuming no change of metal). 10 across suits this family of four and it should be new IFE too. I obviously avoided the 787 at all costs!

A short flight on a refurbished plane so no reason to complain then!

madfish Aug 22, 2017 8:49 am

the ex-EU option was too much hard work (for others, not me!) and the UUA option never came up

What!?!? Just completing a ex-EU UUA into F with 10 flights in total complete with a nearly turned 1 year old.

BerksFlyer Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 28721138)
What!?!? Just completing a ex-EU UUA into F with 10 flights in total complete with a nearly turned 1 year old.

I took the whole family on a Viking fare and they weren't impressed with the whole ex-EU thing. Heathens!

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 28721081)
Oh right, so you'll be upgraded then.

Having never received an upgrade of any sort I'm not expecting my luck to change tomorrow!

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2017 9:16 am

Day flight to JFK with good Panasonic IFE? Flight will whizz past in no time. Take some extra water and things to nibble and you may well survive the experience. Probably. I don't think you've educated the cost centres and spousal units very well, however.

Grayson J Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years ...

next Sunday I have my first economy flight, it's my first flight in 17 years, i m very excited for that:)

BrianDromey Aug 22, 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 28721217)
I took the whole family on a Viking fare and they weren't impressed with the whole ex-EU thing. Heathens!

Having never received an upgrade of any sort I'm not expecting my luck to change tomorrow!

I imagine the horrors of ecomony will give them a newfound desire to visit Scandinavia for future trips!

Homestly, BA Y isn't all that bad. I did LHR-CPT-LHR in Y for work. Was dreading it, but the 747s are quite comfortable - and mine had the old IFE.

LondonElite Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

I thought you said long haul! ;)

This is a medium haul flight that'll be over before you know it. Two films, a bit of reading, and a short nap after lunch...and you have J on the return which is key.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Grayson J (Post 28721267)
next Sunday I have my first economy flight, it's my first flight in 17 years, i m very excited for that:)

Just to welcome you to Flyertalk Grayson J, and to the BA board, we love to see new people here and I'm here to offer you greetings. I hope you have a a good flight, and of course it's when you arrive it really matters rather than the getting there. (Kind of). Welcome on board.

Fly_By_Wire Aug 22, 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound (Post 28721002)
I fly BA LH WT all the time. I get on smiling and get off smiling. In between I sleep for 10hrs + . It seems many in CW/F can't stand their flights.

it's all in the mind

Absolutely 100% true. Positive Mental Attitude.

It's quite good fun down here at the back actually. You know that scene in Titanic when Jack is downstairs and they're all gambling and drinking and dancing around playing fiddles (or whatever); it's just like that.