Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights to Bahrain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Booking flights to Bahrain

I'm looking at a weekend away somewhere new in October and considering Bahrain. However when I get to the final stage of selecting the flights BA is giving a comprehensive warning about travel to the Saudi area, being a pilgrim etc. Am I missing something or do I actually need to consider the 'warning'? I intend to follow the eVisa process on the Bahrain site but why is BA talking about a Saudi visa?

Any advice appreciated, plus any recommendations for a 'lush' relaxing five star hotel would be good but of course I'll look in the other forums...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:14 am

Bahrain is nice for a long weekend.Nothing to do with Saudi unless you go across the causeway.Lots of places for a curry and a few beers.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
I know the message you mean and you can ignore it for your intended trip.

Last September I went to Bahrain for three nights and stayed in the Movenpick by the airport. It was a lovely place to stay for my needs (pool, close to airport for arrival). I'd been there before for the Friday brunch so was familiar with the place.

The proximity to the airport though was no use on departure because I had the "last supper" in the Sofitel on the other side of Bahrain! I met with friends staying there and saw their room, which was fantastic (and a far superior category to the Movenpick). Buffet dinner was in the triple height dining room underneath reception and on having a peak outside the pool facilities looked good.

The outbound flight time is not great and I think is slightly later now due to Doha getting its own flight. When I went I was lucky enough to be in CW and there were just eight in the cabin on the way out and about 12/14 on the way back.

Enjoy!
stevebintley likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is just a standard thing that goes up every year in connection with Hajj. Because of the causeway link and flight connections, BAH is often used as a back door route into Saudi Arabia, but the visa requirements for Hajj are fairly onerous and the Saudi authorities are extra vigilant in the lead up to that. Some people try to circumvent them by going to neighbouring states, which then gives them a headache with some arriving passengers. If you are not of the Islamic faith I wouldn't worry about it.

I've looked at the Tripadvisor ratings for Bahrain, they seem about right overall, no surprises, though the beach ones - which are popular with Saudis are a lot more expensive. I stay in the Sofitel for location convenience in town. If I were looking for a reasonable beach location I'd think about the Novotel if I have a weekend stay and want the best of both worlds, but that's not 5 star by any means.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Having read it is seems to be a reasonable enough warning.

There will be some people who could think that they could use BAH as an easy entry point into SA to avoid the Hajj / Umraj visa needs.

Yes it's likely a case of BA covering its behind there would be complaints if they didn't warn people!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments folks. I've no intention of wandering very far so I'll go ahead and book!

Just the hotel to decide on now. I'm a little concerned the Sofitel is a little far out but it's certainly the nicest looking so far with good rooms...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAW2
The outbound flight time is not great and I think is slightly later now due to Doha getting its own flight. When I went I was lucky enough to be in CW and there were just eight in the cabin on the way out and about 12/14 on the way back.

Enjoy!
Fortunately the time suits me well - a full final day and I'm back in the office ready for Monday! CW is a bit out of my price range but hopefully the back will be as empty and I can steal a row
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:37 am

I usually stay at the Gulf Hotel when I go down there and think it is perfectly okay for a weekend break, if perhaps starting to get a bit outdated. Pool area is very nice and there are a myriad of restaurants in the hotel. By the way, taxi to the hotel was 6 BD, coming back 5, if that helps any. That was a couple of weeks ago.
stevebintley likes this.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Aug 22, 2017 at 8:45 am
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I usually stay at the Gulf Hotel when I go down there and think it is perfectly okay for a weekend break, if perhaps starting to get a bit outdated. Pool area is very nice and there are a myriad of restaurants in the hotel. By the way, taxi to the hotel was 6 BD, coming back 5, if that helps any. That was a couple of weeks ago.
Nice one, thank you! It's a shame there's no beach but I think otherwise it looks just what I need...plus prices seem reasonable for when I was considering. I just need to go ahead and book now..!

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by stevebintley
Nice one, thank you! It's a shame there's no beach but I think otherwise it looks just what I need...plus prices seem reasonable for when I was considering. I just need to go ahead and book now..!

If you do book the Gulf, the rooms in the tower (nearest reception) are nicer than the rooms that are down the corridor and in the wing of the hotel above the Sherlock Holmes pub. Those rooms used to get noisy, but the pub has long since done away with live music and gone to a DJ. Not sure how much noise there is now.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I've just spent 7 months in Bahrain and frankly its okay, but nothing particularly to write home about.

Food and beer is extremely expensive in high end restaurants (£13 for bottle of peroni is norm in a lot of places now). I personally loved the Iskenderun Grill for its amazing grilled meat and middle eastern bread, but it does look rather unpreoposseing from the outside...

Diplomat is pretty good and depending on your status, can do free shuttle to the airport.

In terms of what to do, I would say the Dilmun fort is worth a visit, the museum is okay, but beyond that its a bit empty and devoid of much of interest. Think of it as a 2nd tier UAE or Doha. Personally I'd go to Muscat instead.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimlad48
I've just spent 7 months in Bahrain and frankly its okay, but nothing particularly to write home about.

Food and beer is extremely expensive in high end restaurants (£13 for bottle of peroni is norm in a lot of places now). I personally loved the Iskenderun Grill for its amazing grilled meat and middle eastern bread, but it does look rather unpreoposseing from the outside...

Diplomat is pretty good and depending on your status, can do free shuttle to the airport.

In terms of what to do, I would say the Dilmun fort is worth a visit, the museum is okay, but beyond that its a bit empty and devoid of much of interest. Think of it as a 2nd tier UAE or Doha. Personally I'd go to Muscat instead.

Interesting, cheers. Much as I expected to be honest. I've a goal for a holiday in every country and read that there wasn't much to do, hence considering it for a weekend away from grim UK weather rather than a full break. Other than Yemen and Saudi it's the only place I've not been yet in the area but agree Muscat is nice

I'll look into the Diplomat and will say hello in Iskenderun Grill for you!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by stevebintley

The Gulf Hotel is owned by the family of a very dear friend of mine.

The unfortunate thing about the hotel, is that it used to be on the water-front and had a lovely beach.

However, as the Bahraini Government decided to dredge land from the sea, the hotel lost it's water-front positioning.

There are photos, and a book, all about it, not far from the Reception desk I'm told.

There really isn't a huge amount to do in Bahrain, but it's fine for a weekend - although Muscat is nicer and with better hotels.

M
stevebintley likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), GF (Gold), EY (Silver), EK; Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The Gulf Hotel is owned by the family of a very dear friend of mine.

The unfortunate thing about the hotel, is that it used to be on the water-front and had a lovely beach.

However, as the Bahraini Government decided to dredge land from the sea, the hotel lost it's water-front positioning.

There are photos, and a book, all about it, not far from the Reception desk I'm told.

There really isn't a huge amount to do in Bahrain, but it's fine for a weekend - although Muscat is nicer and with better hotels.

M
Is this the photo you're talking about?

In terms of things to do, I think a long weekend is the perfect amount of time to spend there. My suggestions:
1. Bahrain Museum - museum itself is pretty good, last time I went they had a temporary exhibit about aviation in Bahrain. Definitely do the boat trip to Bu Maher Fort (leaves from the museum, I think it's like 0.5 or 1 BD for the trip). Views of Manama/its skyline are great from the fort.
2. Bab Al Bahrain – walk around the souq and grab a traditional Bahraini breakfast from either Naseef (more modern place, popular among tourists and LH crew nightstopping) or Haji Cafe, which is a favorite among locals (and much cheaper than Naseef). For a more modern spin on Bahraini breakfasts and food, check out Lumee (one of my favorite places in town, definitely have the karak tea [medium sugar]). Go to the one in A'ali Mall – great ambience, and right next to the old BA office and crew center.
3. Bahrain Fort – consider going there during sunset, awesome views
4. Royal Camel Farms if you're into that stuff.
5. Boat Trip to Jarada Island, though this is perhaps more fun with a group of friends. Check out some of the YouTube videos from there.
6. Grand Mosque – pretty sure they also offer guided tours
7. Bait AlQuran – never been, but apparently well done
8. For places to eat, Adliya is probably your best bet. Huge selection of restaurants, though can get pretty busy on the weekend with Saudis and Americans from the Naval Base. Local favorites include Cafe Lilou, Coco's, Meat Co. (slightly pricier), La Vinoteca Barcelona. Right next to Gulf Hotel, too.

Most of this is, of course, weather-permitting. Have fun, and do report back! Since the new flight times mean the aircraft sits on the ground for ~5-6 hours, you usually end up parking at a remote stand and getting bussed to the airport (about a 30 second bus ride). You have been warned: the humidity and be pretty offensive the moment 2L is opened. Aircraft is usually towed to Gate 11/14 at ~12am for return flight to LHR.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Apologies for resurrecting an old dead post, but I just wanted to say thank you for all of your advice for what has made a brilliant weekend away. For those who suggested the Gulf Hotel - spot on. With a room in the main block and views to the west it was great, and the room itself was incredible. Super grounds, pool and restaurants too. To those that suggested things to do, thank you too; with only two days I didn’t have time to see it all but it’s encouraged me to come again.

I’m having a final cocktail now outside before the 2am flight home to the office, and miserable UK weather. My first experience of World Traveller Plus left a lot to be desired coming (no drinks served with the meal, no meal options left, rude cabin crew etc) but hopefully it’ll be better on the return. It was also my first flight out of C gates, so I’ll remember the lack of facilities next time!

Thanks to you all and here’s to becoming Silver on my return!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.