Wiki Posts
Search

'First' post in a while

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
'First' post in a while

Sorry for the awful pun but some questions on First. Due to illness I haven't flown in a while in any cabin so I hope someone can answer some questions in advance of my next flight, which will be long haul F with a domestic connection in CE to/from Manchester.

Other than the less than seamless on ground experience, which to be fair I've had when travelling in F with other airlines, I've genuinely always found BA F to be great - never had a bad crew and the food, drinks and amenities have always been great - and I have flown with better airlines where it has been a bit more blingy but actually not really any different in substance (other than maybe an onboard shower which I can live without).

1. Have BA done anything about the state of the showers in the LHR T5 lounges or do they still resemble a council-run leisure centre in an area with a bleach shortage?

2. Other than the First wing, are there any other changes to the F service, both on the ground and in the air that have happened in the past few months - e.g. better ground services at LHR, in the Concorde Room etc?

3. One of my sectors is in F on the 787 - is it really much better than every other plane?

4. I've heard they are doing special meals in Club even on the short haul flights from Manchester? Anyone had experience of either the veggie or kosher meals? Is it worth ordering veggie or is there always a veggie option available to choose on board?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
1. Unchanged for the most part, though 28 days in advance you could contact YouFirst to reserve a cabana in the CCR which includes a shower
2. CCR food in general seems better the past year. Also the amuse bouche is back (now called a pre-appetiser). And the onboard food has been better in my opinion
3. Many reports on this say it's the best of BA's F seats, but it doesn't have the buddy seat option for dining, and there's only one toilet for 8 passengers (as opposed to other F cabins which have 2 for 14 passengers). The air quality on the 787 and A380 is definitely an improvement over older aircraft.
4. If you prefer a vegetarian meal, I would suggest ordering it. Most of the regular options include meat.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Welcome back to FlyerTalk @ManchesterBDFlyer, I concur with @dylanks although connecting from MAN I would go through flight connections to avoid having to clear security screening again.

I haven't made my mind up on the B789 - I don't like it if travelling with a family member because of the the missing buddy seat. The aisles are narrow which means you could easily disturb other passengers (or get the way of crew) if stood up to talk with your consort.

As a solo passenger I like it, but it feels like the seat is a little smaller than on other BA aircraft. Even so, the seat is very comfortable. To date, the lavatory situation has not bothered me.

I'm sure you will enjoy your flights again, and I hope your health issues are well and truly behind you. It is fashionable here to bash BA First and whilst I'm sure there will be times when BA fall short I've found that all my First flights range between good and excellent.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Thanks! @Tobias-UK and @dylanks

I will be travelling alone so no issue with that. Have an overnight at LHR on the way out as I don't want to miss my flight the next morning - it's winter and if one flight in the entire network is cancelled it will be the MAN one, so decided to come to London the day before. This means I can try out the First Wing, although it doesn't sound that exciting.

I seriously cannot believe that they haven't sorted out the showers - they were disgusting 3 years ago!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ManchesterBDFlyer
... This means I can try out the First Wing, although it doesn't sound that exciting..
Not exciting, but very good. I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes.

...I seriously cannot believe that they haven't sorted out the showers - they were disgusting 3 years ago!
As part of the ongoing lounge upgrades, the showers are expected to get a refresh.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Thanks! @Tobias-UK and @dylanks

I will be travelling alone so no issue with that. Have an overnight at LHR on the way out as I don't want to miss my flight the next morning - it's winter and if one flight in the entire network is cancelled it will be the MAN one, so decided to come to London the day before. This means I can try out the First Wing, although it doesn't sound that exciting.

I seriously cannot believe that they haven't sorted out the showers - they were disgusting 3 years ago!
The most exciting thing about the First Wing is that it's relaxed and not that exciting... which is a good thing for a security area.

They did repair some of the showers as there was a major leak issue at some point, though from what I can tell they still look the same. The cabana ones are nicer though have a similar design or lack thereof.

And apologies for my terseness before, I'm glad to hear your health has improved and I hope you enjoy your first first in a while!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Welcome back to FT Mr B aka @ManchesterBDFlyer - and to the world of flying!

M
ManchesterBAFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I'm not sure why the first wing should be of interest to the OP in this case. It is essentially a corridor through which some passengers are able to get airside in more comfort and more speedily than the rest; but if someone is arriving from Manchester and connecting to their long-haul flight they will, I believe, already be airside so the connections route to the lounge will be far simpler than exiting via arrivals, going to the departures level, walking all the way to the first wing, going into the F lounge, exiting this immediately and walking to the CCR. That's quite a diversion just to visit a luxury corridor!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
2. Other than the First wing, are there any other changes to the F service, both on the ground and in the air that have happened in the past few months - e.g. better ground services at LHR, in the Concorde Room etc?
Wait for it .... drum roll ... the flower is back.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
I'm not sure why the first wing should be of interest to the OP in this case. It is essentially a corridor through which some passengers are able to get airside in more comfort and more speedily than the rest; but if someone is arriving from Manchester and connecting to their long-haul flight they will, I believe, already be airside so the connections route to the lounge will be far simpler than exiting via arrivals, going to the departures level, walking all the way to the first wing, going into the F lounge, exiting this immediately and walking to the CCR. That's quite a diversion just to visit a luxury corridor!
The OP has stated that he will arrive from MAN the day before so will need to reclear security the next morning.
ManchesterBAFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad
Wait for it .... drum roll ... the flower is back.
I wonder if any F customers outside of Flyertalk even noticed it had gone?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The OP has stated that he will arrive from MAN the day before so will need to reclear security the next morning.
Oops, sorry didn't spot OP's additional post. In any event unless arriving at T5 in a taxi or limo my preferred route would still be North Security Fast Track and straight to the CCR, rather than the grand tour required to use the first wing.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wonder if any F customers outside of Flyertalk even noticed it had gone?
Of course they would. Even Mr H noticed the flowers had disappeared, first from CW, then from F.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Amouse bouche is back in F too I believe.

All the CE special meals have been replaced with a MZML (mozzerella meal).

CHML in Club Europe still mozzarella & tomato?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Amouse bouche is back in F too I believe.
See post 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.