Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New A380 route to be announced next week

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Last week it took less than 5 minutes to go from the kerb to the first class lounge. Can't ever see that with BA any time soon.
I have managed that at JFK T7, though I accept it's a lottery, there again it would also be similar at T8, PreCheck there is not always slick. The First Wing under construction at T7 will hopefully help there. At places like SAN, AUS, PHX it's also possible, albeit with only a general lounge. BOS is also quick and fast too, in my experience . So it depends where you are really
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
True, which if you are a VS flyer makes the hole in the network look even worse.
Alas, if you are a VS flyer these days you're pretty much flying Delta+ (how much plus open to debate I suppose) and ORD is not a DL destination of any use. ORD has a lot of traffic, to be sure, but so much of it connects, so if you're not with OW or *A there isn't much point flying there. VS is pretty much keying into critical O/D plus ATL & SEA, DL's core hubs on the eastern and western seaboard. ORD just doesn't fit.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have managed that at JFK T7, though I accept it's a lottery, there again it would also be similar at T8, PreCheck there is not always slick. The First Wing under construction at T7 will hopefully help there. At places like SAN, AUS, PHX it's also possible, albeit with only a general lounge. BOS is also quick and fast too, in my experience . So it depends where you are really
T7 far side kerb to CCR is easy in 5 minutes if there's no queue at security - hence the lottery, I guess. To T7 GF you'd have to run to make it in 5, though

T8 even through their Flagship check-in is mostly a lottery as you get dumped at the front of the ID check point for Pre-Check, but then at the back of the security line. It can actually take quite a bit and again is totally dependent on queue size at security. Generally speaking there are a lot of variables as to how quickly you can get through security which make something like T5's First Wing stand out so far. I have yet to stand in any kind of line there. Last time I was at SAN they had massive queues even for Pre-Check, admittedly earlier than you would be there for BA's flight.

Last edited by MarkedMan; Aug 6, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Alas, if you are a VS flyer these days you're pretty much flying Delta+ (how much plus open to debate I suppose) and ORD is not a DL destination of any use. ORD has a lot of traffic, to be sure, but so much of it connects, so if you're not with OW or *A there isn't much point flying there. VS is pretty much keying into critical O/D plus ATL & SEA, DL's core hubs on the eastern and western seaboard. ORD just doesn't fit.
My point is that ORD is - or I'd have thought would be - critical O/D. It is surely the biggest US O/D market from London that VS/DL doesn't serve.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by luftaom
The problem with Australia is that the plane invariably sits on the ground for 9-10 hours from before dawn until 1500 or so. That really effects the economics of the operation.
I know it's not going to SYD, but regarding your point, the 380s sit idle for hours daily at JNB & SIN. I guess an 8/9 hour USA flight is optimum for one.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
My point is that ORD is - or I'd have thought would be - critical O/D. It is surely the biggest US O/D market from London that VS/DL doesn't serve.
One point to bear in mind is that an o/d market is really two o/d markets. I think ord o/d is very predominantly ex-us, just like, say atl and Dfw and unlike sfo, Mia, or even Iah. I think vs has very little market power ex-us (much more ex uk) and dl is very weak in the Chicago area so in a way I'm not entirely surprised by their choice. Dl also fly nonstop to lhr from dtw and msp so some of the long commuting catchment (e.g. People who'd drive 4-8 hours to a major airport to avoid a sometimes expensive connection from Wisconsin and Minnesota for instance) are already catered for.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
is that a full F wing like the lhr one? If so it certainly sounds positive when not flying F! I've also had many very fast departure checks from t7 when lucky - in fact much better than from t8 in my case. Unfortunately, without kiosks (for non ge pax) t7 arrivals are often extremely slow and on that from t8 feels better.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
is that a full F wing like the lhr one? If so it certainly sounds positive when not flying F!
That was the way it was portrayed, yes, so a new area combining check-in and security. I suspect it would be Gold, CW and First, however.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:43 am

One point to bear in mind is that an o/d market is really two o/d markets. I think ord o/d is very predominantly ex-us, just like, say atl and Dfw and unlike sfo, Mia, or even Iah. I think vs has very little market power ex-us (much more ex uk) and dl is very weak in the Chicago area so in a way I'm not entirely surprised by their choice.
An interesting point. As a hunch I would've guessed that ORD would be less ex-US biased than ATL or DFW, but wouldn't know. It would be good to see the stats on it.

I have read that London O/D as a whole is roughly even inbound vs outbound.

p.s. I'm assuming LondonElite's call of ORD as the A380 station is correct, otherwise this discussion is a bit OT.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm just a messenger!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That was the way it was portrayed, yes, so a new area combining check-in and security. I suspect it would be Gold, CW and First, however.
is that a full F wing like the lhr one? If so it certainly sounds positive when not flying F!
The mock-up certainly includes CW: https://hotline.ba.com/en-gb/informa...rk-jfk-changes
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
thanks for the link! ^
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
One point to bear in mind is that an o/d market is really two o/d markets. I think ord o/d is very predominantly ex-us, just like, say atl and Dfw and unlike sfo, Mia, or even Iah. I think vs has very little market power ex-us (much more ex uk) and dl is very weak in the Chicago area so in a way I'm not entirely surprised by their choice. Dl also fly nonstop to lhr from dtw and msp so some of the long commuting catchment (e.g. People who'd drive 4-8 hours to a major airport to avoid a sometimes expensive connection from Wisconsin and Minnesota for instance) are already catered for.
completely annecdotal but a friend on VS LHR-BOS-LHR last month said that the majority of the plane seemed to be Americans
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Originally Posted by Pilot37
EI are also launching LAS for the winter season
Well it was talked in February and then nothing more.

No option to book, no further information.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
completely annecdotal but a friend on VS LHR-BOS-LHR last month said that the majority of the plane seemed to be Americans
Yes but that's the thing, dl (which is in a Jv with dl) has a much stronger market position in bos, JFK, or atl than it does at ord where it is marginalised by two very large players.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm just a messenger!
I believe you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.