Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just to prove it works (for those who doubt it) and thank you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various memberships

Just managed to book 2 Avios tickets in Club World to Australia.

Or as they are otherwise known - Hen's Teeth!

Followed the advice here and called New York at 00:00 GMT to secure the seats.

All I have to do now is to remember to book the return in a few weeks!

I mainly lurk rather than post so thanks for the advice on getting these.

TE
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:13 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Just managed to book 2 Avios tickets in Club World to Australia.

Or as they are otherwise known - Hen's Teeth!

All I have to do now is to remember to book the return in a few weeks!

I mainly lurk rather than post so thanks for the advice on getting these.

TE
Good work.
I booked them 2 years ago, then released them for F to SIN instead. So, I had Hen's teeth then gave them away!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That's good to hear you snapped up a pair of CW ticketsTheEngineer

Good luck with the return and a nice way to travel to Australia.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am very happy for you! I have recently done LHR-SYD-LHR (1 day in SYD, on Garuda, in J), and it's not something I want to do often, unless you perfect the sleeping pattern for that route.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think proof was really needed? BA guarantees 2 CW award seats and 4 WT award seats on every single long haul flight. I think they are sticking to their word.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Well done, but you didn't need to call NYC for the outbound: a one-way can be booked on line and to be honest I think think this is a safer bet (no risk of waiting on hold or a slow agent).

Only the inbound needs to be done on the phone as you are adding it to your existing one-way booking.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Curious to know why booked over the phone, rather than just online?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by pauldb
Only the inbound needs to be done on the phone as you are adding it to your existing one-way booking.
Wouldn't this only apply if you're using a 2-4-1, since you could just book 2 one-ways otherwise?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Well done, but you didn't need to call NYC for the outbound: a one-way can be booked on line and to be honest I think think this is a safer bet (no risk of waiting on hold or a slow agent).

The issue that I have had with booking CPT online for Christmas hols is that refresh browser at 00:00, availability there, booking in less than 15s (I was well rehearsed trying multiple nights) to find availability gone - it would go through to payment and then there would be an error message. I am guessing they can be reserved quicker over the phone.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Wouldn't this only apply if you're using a 2-4-1, since you could just book 2 one-ways otherwise?
Yes indeed - I thought (or rather assumed) the OP was using a 241. I believe 2 oneways to Oz will also produce lower fees as well, if you aren't using a 241.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by madmax_uk
The issue that I have had with booking CPT online for Christmas hols is that refresh browser at 00:00, availability there, booking in less than 15s (I was well rehearsed trying multiple nights) to find availability gone - it would go through to payment and then there would be an error message. I am guessing they can be reserved quicker over the phone.
That's probably true: I get the impression an agent can secure the availability at the start of the booking whereas online you lock it down with the final payment stage. But I'd still rather take my own chances online than risk a slow call. It's just as likely someone else beat you online by half a second!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madmax_uk
So what exactly did you do? Presumably you must have called New York a bit before 0000Z and gave them the details so things were ready to go at 0000Z when the availability popped up? How soon before did you ring them and what did you say to them? Surely calling at 0000Z would run the same risk as booking online in that by the time the call was answered and details provided someone else would have snapped them up?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by drpabs
So what exactly did you do? Presumably you must have called New York a bit before 0000Z and gave them the details so things were ready to go at 0000Z when the availability popped up? How soon before did you ring them and what did you say to them? Surely calling at 0000Z would run the same risk as booking online in that by the time the call was answered and details provided someone else would have snapped them up?
I did this a few months, also for SYD and using a 241. I had no issues getting outbound online on my first attempt by doing it immediately at 0000GMT, maybe I was lucky.
The inbound was harder on the phone, I did this by calling Japan but they only opened at 0000GMT so I could not complete the security checks etc before the seats became available, eventually I managed to get seats on the third day of trying and even then I still missed the direct seats and ended up with SYD->SIN->LHR, I was happy with that however as there were 2 F seats also available on the SIN->LHR leg so I got first in the A380 coming back.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various memberships
To answer a couple of questions:

I was using a 2-4-1 voucher and plan to add the return flights when they become available.

The reason I called New York at 00:00 GMT was that I was advised to by someone from the BA call centre in the UK. In essence as madmax_uk points out the agent advised me the call centre can "grab" the tickets at the start of the process so it is quicker than booking it online when the request for the seats only goes in at the payment stage.

I have a very limited window during which I can travel so want to maximise the time in Aus due to the flying time and jet lag.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:04 am

When I called the US line to secure return flights on a 241, I did a trial run and was very glad I did. It took several minutes longer to navigate through to get to speak to a human than I'd imagined. If I'd waited until 00:58 to call I'd probably have missed out.

I can't remember the exact process, but it's worth a bit of a practice if you're determined to snag them.

As it was, the very nice chappy told me that the seats on the other flight also got snapped up while we were speaking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.