Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time First lounge, snoring etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
Originally Posted by ringingup
Agreed I normally wear pretty good earplugs that block out most of the noise. However on our last overnight trip, my other half, who finds earplugs very uncomfortable, basically couldn't sleep all night because of someone snoring in the cabin.
I can't tolerate most earplugs either, can't even tolerate ear buds for listening. I seriously have to travel with monster Bose over the ear headphones.

Have your partner try these: https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-...004CKCX9K?th=1

I'm a light sleeper, and these have helped me maintain my sanity for years now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Oh please. With the greatest will in the world, tired and weary travellers who may have been awake for 24+ hours may not be able to avoid dozing off.
Totally agree.
And snoring aside, what annoyance can give you someone who sleeps on an armchair or a sofa (feet down of course)?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by justforfun
There are people who snore by choice?!
I do, when I decide it's too much of a pain to put on my CPAP
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by agehall
very few people snore by choice.
Probably no one snores by choice ;-)

<Edit> I stand corrected, one inconsiderate* person above does !

* If in a public place disturbing others.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
According to BA, "Our customers have told us that they are happy to hear snoring fellow-customers, as it proves they are relaxed and, more importantly, alive."
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lefly
Totally agree.
And snoring aside, what annoyance can give you someone who sleeps on an armchair or a sofa (feet down of course)?
When the lounge is busy and they're spread out across the whole sofa...

Thats where most of my issue is. If you're in an armchair and drift off then thats not so much of an issue.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
When the lounge is busy and they're spread out across the whole sofa...
I have some sympathy with that argument which is quite different from the one you made earlier.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:05 pm

Thumbs up DEV

Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
Tolerance.
People don't snoring because they like.
Well said....This is not what people do it intentionally...Infact, even they don't like but it's beyond their control....TOLERANCE is the key to solve many issues...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I have to admit I can't stand people who have decided to commandeer an entire sofa to sleep on. Drives me mad.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by BostonRobin
I can't tolerate most earplugs either, can't even tolerate ear buds for listening. I seriously have to travel with monster Bose over the ear headphones.

Have your partner try these: https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-...004CKCX9K?th=1

I'm a light sleeper, and these have helped me maintain my sanity for years now.
Originally Posted by ringingup
Agreed I normally wear pretty good earplugs that block out most of the noise. However on our last overnight trip, my other half, who finds earplugs very uncomfortable, basically couldn't sleep all night because of someone snoring in the cabin.
I use these at home and for travel when I need them - along with a white noise/nature sounds app. The headband can be a bit annoying because you need to adjust it but I can sleep on my side with no problems and drown out most snoring. https://www.acousticsheep.com/
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can you not just tap him and say "hey man, you're snoring, can you please change positions" or something?

The lengths people go to avoid conversation is insane
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
Solution is what they have in the Iberia lounges in Madrid. Darkened relaxation rooms with chaise longue style personal sofas and complimentary eyeshades and ear plugs, and a partition separating each of them for an element of privacy. I use them regularly on early flights connecting there from Valencia and really love them. I've never had a problem getting one either.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
In the inhumanity of people is astonishing. I guess you wake your grandpa up on Sunday afternoons when he starts napping in his chair as well. If people want to sleep in the lounge they have as much of a right to as you do to be awake. As for snoring its no worse a crime than talking, munching on food loudly or kids running around. All of which are acceptable. I'd love to see how people lived if you took their sense of entitlement away.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I hate to see people sleeping at airports as I become afraid they might miss their flight.
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Try waking them up while screaming "we're going to crash"
Haha - joking aside he just needs to roll onto his side to stop snoring. OP - perhaps you and few others can assist him?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by sts603
I don't think one should be expected to move. An airline lounge is somewhere to lounge, not sleep.
This. ^

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
So if lounges are for lounging - does that mean one should not work there either?
There are work areas in the lounge for this very purpose.

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Sleep is a necessity, and one which is wildly disturbed when travelling by air.

One should not need an "excuse," for allowing one's body to dictate what is most needful for it in the moment.
It's a lounge, not a hotel. If you need to sleep, go somewhere that is designed for this purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.