Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
No doubt others have noticed, but Virgin have picked up on the "ABBA - Anyone but BA" theme and used it in advertising as recently as yesterday's Sunday paper I happened to pick up.

And I know it is a different company, but I was amused to see that both the LGW and EDI BA lounge Wi-Fi services appear to be provided by none other than Virgin Media.

Last edited by PWOZUK; Jul 31, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: change to "apppear"
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
No doubt others have noticed, but Virgin have picked up on the "ABBA - Anyone but BA" theme and used it in advertising as recently as yesterday's Sunday paper I happened to pick up.

And I know it is a different company, but I was amused to see that both the LGW and EDI BA lounge Wi-Fi services appear to be provided by none other than Virgin Media.
Yup, as early as post 239

No worries, this one has gotten long as these discussions tend to...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by KARFA
Not proactively they didn't. There were reports on here of some folks getting 1000 avios but BA often spent lots of time arguing it should be per booking and not per flight.
Thats exactly my experience for our family holiday this summer (booked last year), was offered 1000 avios as 'service recovery' which is meant to be used to replace meals and drinks for 5 people for outbound and inbound. Its a derisory amount, and as far as 'service recovery' goes did nothing to recover service at all.

What this has done, is I now consider them the same they have treated me - a component of a transactional arrangement, whereas before I had a bit of brand loyalty and affection.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
What happens instead is that I rate their proposition lower than I used to and that as a result they will now marginally lose some of the decisions they would have won before. Consequently, their share of my flying life will decrease, sometimes significantly.
Thats exactly how I view it, but the further negative impact for my BA travel is that I now also have changed my international bookings.....

Originally Posted by PWOZUK
And VA is one of the carriers that have now picked up my west-bound travel, and BA need to take a close look - the service and hard product were a couple of levels above BA on all classes.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by DirtyDavey
Thats exactly my experience for our family holiday this summer (booked last year), was offered 1000 avios as 'service recovery' which is meant to be used to replace meals and drinks for 5 people for outbound and inbound. Its a derisory amount, and as far as 'service recovery' goes did nothing to recover service at all.

What this has done, is I now consider them the same they have treated me - a component of a transactional arrangement, whereas before I had a bit of brand loyalty and affection.

Thats exactly how I view it, but the further negative impact for my BA travel is that I now also have changed my international bookings.....

And VA is one of the carriers that have now picked up my west-bound travel, and BA need to take a close look - the service and hard product were a couple of levels above BA on all classes.
With AF/KL Virging Atlantic tie up, I am now considering flying VS to the US or South Africa. It seems they have a better service on short US flights (second meal is not a fund sized mars bar). And I hear that the Clubhouse is great. I have never thought I could use them based on my loyalty to BA, AF and KL but now I am quite excited to be suing Virgin.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Yup, as early as post 239

No worries, this one has gotten long as these discussions tend to...
Sorry - my error in not reading all the earlier posts.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DirtyDavey
This is exactly the point. BA has turned into a transactional provider. I will look at them for travel in the same way as I look at others. The brand affinity and a perceived loyalty has been eroded by their cutbacks and policy changes. Everybody says that aircraft are full and BA don't care but I do know they are doing less business from me and my company. That will be far harder to win back than it would have been to retain since I like AA, QR and VS now.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
With AF/KL Virging Atlantic tie up, I am now considering flying VS to the US or South Africa. It seems they have a better service on short US flights (second meal is not a fund sized mars bar). And I hear that the Clubhouse is great. I have never thought I could use them based on my loyalty to BA, AF and KL but now I am quite excited to be suing Virgin.
Of course it is right that you spend your dime as you see fit. To be fair though, your 'loyalty to BA' has hardly come across in your posts on FT!

Good luck with suing Virgin btw!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Of course it is right that you spend your dime as you see fit. To be fair though, your 'loyalty to BA' has hardly come across in your posts on FT!

Good luck with suing Virgin btw!
Try to look at my posts until mid last year and you'll notice I was loyal to BA. My user name "BA6948" is another one. But as many here, I have just had enough of the cuts and the disregard BA has to its loyal and big spend customers that DO NOT fly premium cabins.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
Try to look at my posts until mid last year and you'll notice I was loyal to BA. My user name "BA6948" is another one. But as many here, I have just had enough of the cuts and the disregard BA has to its loyal and big spend customers that DO NOT fly premium cabins.
Ah OK I didn't realise you had another user name
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed 130 flights a week to 22 destinations. And that's from Frankfurt not Hahn, before we get deflected onto that old chestnut.

Hard to see how anyone in Glasgow or Manchester travelling to Frankfurt could find BA more convenient really. On the other hand if you collect TPs, Avios, enjoy lurking around lounges or a good old CE "meal" maybe BA is still the right gig.

Each to their own I guess.
Well, having 4 daily MAN-FRA with LH is the main reason BA is never convenient in this route.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by richardwft
Btw 5 in the centre block is not new, AA did it on B777 2-5-2. Some MD-11 also had 5 in the centre.
Delta 777s in early 200s were 2-5-2 as well. It was indeed hell!

Originally Posted by seat 13a
A little more from Mr Cruz....

“We are falling behind. We have work to do,” he told me. He outlined a radical plan to split the airline into twoa budget airline and a posh one — which he said would make BA a “fantastic, unbelievable, 10 out of 10” carrier again. “The best airline in Britain, and the best airline in Europe.”
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Is there a way back for the red, white and blue tailfin? Yes, Cruz told me on the Dreamliner flight. His big idea is to split BA in two, making it a premium airline at the front of its planes and a budget one at the back.
Wow! Didn't see that coming. Thought they were planning on a BA Lite kinda product, but a separate one from the mainline.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Many thanks to seat 13a for the summary, very helpful.

I guess that is the risk, but arguably that is exactly what Emirates and Singapore do now: their reputation among the general public is very high, but going down the back of either airline isn't going to give many clues as to why that would be.
Thanks indeed, Seat13a for the detailed summary.

To the point about Emirates and Singapore, while I don't agree that they are a budget carrier in the back of the bus, but even if they are, they do not market themselves as such. If they did, the general public would perceive them that way. Unless I am not reading it correctly, Mr. Cruz's statement implies that BA hopes to gain market share by marketing themselves purely to the price conscious.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by knit-in
..... Unless I am not reading it correctly, Mr. Cruz's statement implies that BA hopes to gain market share by marketing themselves purely to the price conscious.
There are many different markets out there. What damage that could do to the Brand Image is the big question, and it would certainly have to be handled significantly better than most of BA's recent marketing.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by T8191
There are many different markets out there. What damage that could do to the Brand Image is the big question, and it would certainly have to be handled significantly better than most of BA's recent marketing.
Jet Blue had to come up with a really sharp premium product to shake off the LLC tag it started doing business with. Not sure if they have managed it yet. Perceptions are hard to change.

I wonder if WT+ is considered the back of the bus.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Pathetic service.
Booked an exit row (I'm 6"7") back from Munich to LHR, of course they switched to to a Qatar service and now my legs and back are in agony.
Should I complain, is it worth it?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sparky_
Pathetic service.
Booked an exit row (I'm 6"7") back from Munich to LHR, of course they switched to to a Qatar service and now my legs and back are in agony.
Should I complain, is it worth it?
Seat swaps are a hazard of air travel alas. I think it is unlikely you'll influence future policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.