Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AsiaMiles award ticket HKG-LHR-GLA - will BA penalise me for skipping the last leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AsiaMiles award ticket HKG-LHR-GLA - will BA penalise me for skipping the last leg?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Hi FlyerTalk!

I have an award ticket through AsiaMiles for HKG-LHR-GLA on BA metal.

My plans have changed and I need to go to London instead of Glasgow. When I asked AsiaMiles they said they couldn't change it as it is the return leg of ticket where the outbound leg has already been flown.

I am thinking of just walking out of the airport at LHR.

Even though the award is with AsiaMiles, I have somehow managed to add it to my BAEC MMB listing, and can't seem to remove it.

I am slightly paranoid that BA will try to penalise me and cancel my other bookings I have linked to my BAEC.

Anything to be worried about?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I don't think BA or CX get as hot under the collar about skipping last legs on redemption tickets compared to revenue tickets.

In your case there's no BA implication anyway - AM is the ticket issuer, and the rules stopping you from changing the leg are AM's.
AFAIK AM has never suspended or done anything adverse to anyone dropping legs - in a rather extreme case I ticketed YVR uncle into NRT-YVR-NRT on JL J and he only flew first leg (have to ticket it as R/T on AM).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
My question is
how can they penalize you

q2: you can keep the flight for later use if it was an asiamiles award. Just need to pay change fee
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
My question is
how can they penalize you
He's got his BAEC number in the booking and couldn't take it off
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For a reward ticket this really isn't an issue. The only practical point is if you have bags checked, in which case you need to ensure they only get tagged to LHR.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. This is useful stuff.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No one will notice or care.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
For a reward ticket this really isn't an issue. The only practical point is if you have bags checked, in which case you need to ensure they only get tagged to LHR.
This is the key question - can you get your bags short-checked? IIRC, some outstations are funny about that, but not sure if HKG is one of them. How long is the transit time - if it's overnight then it shouldn't be a problem, if it's only a few hours you might want to check beforehand if it will be ok.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
This is the key question - can you get your bags short-checked? IIRC, some outstations are funny about that, but not sure if HKG is one of them. How long is the transit time - if it's overnight then it shouldn't be a problem, if it's only a few hours you might want to check beforehand if it will be ok.
I think the issue maybe that the staff have in recent years been told no short checking, but in this case it isn't an exEU or even a revenue ticket so realistically there shouldn't be any need to enforce such a policy in teh OP's case. Whether the check in agent can also recgnise this too and just tag to LHR is another question though.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:04 am

I've said this before, and it's certainly not a proven thing, but I've yet to see any reports on here of people being refused short checking from Asia. All the stories that I recall (incuding my own!) were coming from the US.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If your bags are checked to GLA, you can go to the BA service desk at LHR flight connections / immigration and say you had to end your journey there for personal reasons and ask for your bag to be returned to you at LHR. Try to do that as soon as you can so you don't delay the LHR-GLA flight, and be prepared for a wait (an hour or two might not be unrealistic). Do try to get the bags short checked if at all possible.

BA are very unlikely to care at all about you leaving before the end of a one way redemption ticket. You won't be saving yourself any money and as long as you don't delay the LHR-GLA flight it's no harm to them in any other way.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling with cabin luggage only so all is good
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:11 pm

Then it's easy. Just inform BA (at the transfer/arrivals desk) that you won't be taking your last flight for personal reasons (so they don't wait for you) and walk out of the Arrivals route.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
You could also cancel the booking in CX Manage My Booking when the 'useful' sectors have been flown..presumably, BA gets to know that there's an empty seat and possibly, the inter-airline 'mileage burn' accounting is easier. Done that for an asiamiles redemption on AA- the reservation was cancelled and got the usual 'contact us for any refunds' message. Admittedly, that wasn't while in transit, so a bit unsure if there's enough time.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:27 am

That won't happen fast enough; it's still best to tell BA you're ending your journey in LHR and ask them to offload you from the LHR-GLA flight.
Doing so (rather than just ghosting them) is being nice to them, so there should be no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.