Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/Travelodge crew stays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Having stayed in TL and Ibis (I'd say equivalent, rather than PI), what's there, what's missing.

Ibis for instance seems to only ever have one bin in the room, in the bathroom.

They both have a fixed to the wall squeezy handwash/shower gel, and no individual soaps/shampoos.

Always just a shower, never a bath.

I can't recall an ironing board, but I don't use them, so either might have one, and an iron.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Smid
I do regard the PI as a better quality than the TL... So one week £47, next week all booked out, random week in October. Cambridges PI, where I'm currently living, are £80 even at a saver rate in October... But that's probably just Cambridge.
Cambridge has always been ridiculous for hotel prices. Don't know whether it's improved in the last few years but sounds like not.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I now have got to the point that I don't check the PI, it's usually in there in the likes of hotels.com, but not always...

However, I do appreciate the new T4 PI was doing rooms at £30 now that it has just opened. If there hadn't been that 2 hour Novotel "test how bad our website is" sale, I might have stayed in the first PI for ten years...

Seems to vary, it appears that I might have got a room in the Cardiff PI if I'd booked months in advance, but I think it's also block booked by tour companies too which throws things out...

I do regard the PI as a better quality than the TL... So one week £47, next week all booked out, random week in October. Cambridges PI, where I'm currently living, are £80 even at a saver rate in October... But that's probably just Cambridge.
I forgot to add that the PIs at LGW were my go to hotels there. The older one which was a 5 minute walk from the north terminal was often cheaper than the newer one on the opposite side of the car park from the terminal. Searching through my emails I see that I have booked them at the following prices since 2015:

London Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way) - £35, £35, £35
London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) - £39, £39, £39, £29.50
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
If you're going to insult BA and/or its crews, at least make it factually correct. There is no contract for BA crew to stay in Travelodge hotels. If crew are staying there then it is on their own dime and that is their own choice to make (many do indeed stay near airports before/after/between duties).

Unless you are mistaking it with the Premier Inn, which, as stated above, is an entirely different proposition.
Really? I'd liken the comparison to EasyJet vs. Norwegian. Some obvious differences in the product but not entirely different.

I would add, price really is not in direct correlation to quality. I write this just having spent a few days in the South of France so speak with recent experience
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Always just a shower, never a bath.
Top tip for wanting a bath - always book a family room - even book for two adults and two kids. You'll get a bath (almost!) guaranteed.

On check in reduce the number of guests with receptionist to remain compliant incase of fire evac etc

Price will always be the same
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What a pathetic thread
FT Top tip : if one makes on-thread pronouncements about the (un)worthiness of a thread topic, then one really shouldn't then keep posting to it ....
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I consider my (further!) contributions could be considered helpful through the thread - I found the initial opening a little insulting / belittling / gossipy towards crew.

And I was hot and grumpy last night. And my posts are usually positive and helpful. Out of character !
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by madfish
I've had some pretty rough experiences at travelodge. They went through a system of not investing in ongoing maintenance. We stopped using them 5 years ago and switched to PremierInn. They have a similar business model of pricing but generally are much better. The rooms are less stark for a start - travelidge go for a basic white everything. Maintenance is better. And in general a much better class of client!

Given the option I certainly would not stay at a Travelodge but willingly do at PremierInn - probably around 15-20 nights per year over the past five years. I would have sympathy for the crew having to stay at Travelodge.
I've had similar experiences but I do believe that they have been upgrading a lot of travel lodges since I last stayed in one so if the price was right I would give them another try.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:22 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
A far cry from the Sofitel that BA uses (used?) in Philadelphia....
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TBD
A far cry from the Sofitel that BA uses (used?) in Philadelphia....
Some Sofitels aren't all that great. I've had ordinary experiences in the CDG one a couple of times. I remember years ago seeing CO flight and cabin crew being dropped off at the Jurys Inn in Glasgow and thought it surprising at the time given it was on a busy street and only feet away from the railway at the back.

As for the budget hotels...our favourite is the Holiday Inn Express and our least is the Ibis.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by oopl
Travelodge U.K. seems to be better than Travelodge U.S.
THIS! Travelodges in the USA are not places I'd recommend people stay at. Usually older properties (no problem with that), BUT almost always filthy and run-down. Also often located in higher-crime areas. Some of them border on being used as halfway houses. We do have worse...Knight's Inns come to mind, but avoid both.

I do find it interesting though, as most US carrier union contracts state full-service hotels for pilots, and often the same for cabin crew. Most of these contracts require that there be shopping/restaurants/etc within reasonable walking distance as well.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by KRSW
THIS! Travelodges in the USA are not places I'd recommend people stay at. Usually older properties (no problem with that), BUT almost always filthy and run-down. Also often located in higher-crime areas. Some of them border on being used as halfway houses. We do have worse...Knight's Inns come to mind, but avoid both.
I usually base my decision of not staying in an area in an unknown US city on whether there's a Travelodge there...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:25 am

Crew might stay at the Travelodge usually when they commute before reporting the next morning. They'll fund this themselves in order to report on time.
The Travelodge isn't the hotel that BA put us up in when we're on duty at LHR, and so they have no contract with them.

-
Views are my own and not that of my employer
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Still not sure what the point of this thread is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:55 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some Sofitels aren't all that great. I've had ordinary experiences in the CDG one a couple of times. I remember years ago seeing CO flight and cabin crew being dropped off at the Jurys Inn in Glasgow and thought it surprising at the time given it was on a busy street and only feet away from the railway at the back.

As for the budget hotels...our favourite is the Holiday Inn Express and our least is the Ibis.
I'm quite fond of the Sofitel Philly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.