Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bargain Airways: £504 to Nice, HBO and BoB.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bargain Airways: £504 to Nice, HBO and BoB.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by obduro
And the OP has disappeared
An FT Member who doesn't post for 5 whole hours hasn't necessarily 'disappeared', and doesn't deserve to be berated like this. @:-)

Patience, please.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:02 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'm a wee bit surprised at this price as it's my regular route. Still August and Nice do not make for a cheap combo.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Seriously I just checked and that's the price of a CE return!
The OP clearly stated it was an economy basic fare.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It would seem if one needed an AM flight out of LHR on Saturday 26 August and an evening flight back on Monday 28 August then a BA Basic fare prices out at £504.30. It does look like the August Bank holiday is an expensive day to return. No surprises there though but there are much cheaper options if the outbound can be booked for later in the day.

Incidentally, there is no RFS availability showing on these dates
Old May 8, 2017, 4:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
It would seem if one needed an AM flight out of LHR on Saturday 26 August and an evening flight back on Monday 28 August then a BA Basic fare prices out at £504.30. It does look like the August Bank holiday is an expensive day to return. No surprises there though but there are much cheaper options if the outbound can be booked for later in the day.

Well spotted. And even if you have to travel those dates there is a return fare of £272 from LHR.

This is the kind of situation where either RFS (albeit not in this case) or, assuming the person booking is or knows a friendly GCH, a gold priority reward is very useful.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And leaving from LGW is significantly cheaper than LHR which would be a fairer comparison with a LCC.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:22 pm

And if those are indeed the dates, lets hope the OP has already booked their Easyjet flights as they are up to over £400 now
Old May 8, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Slightly OT but on the topic of August being expensive in this neck of the woods..

I was in Cannes in August 2015. I used a free night voucher I had to stay in the Intercontinental where the cash rate for the hotel's most basic room was 700Euro.

The funny thing is that the hotel was available for points bookings(50,000), which many people know you can easily buy on IHG for less than $300(274 Euro) with the points+cash trick. Mind you the hotel was full of Arab Sheiks and Russian oligarchs so they probably didnt care about the price.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No surprises there though but there are much cheaper options if the outbound can be booked for later in the day.
Yes, but the OP then make a comparison with easyJet's fares, when at least the comparison should be on LGW's fares since U2 don't use LHR. If these are the dates it's still a pricey £437, or £414 if returning to LHR. Moreover LCY and STN are both available at cheaper prices, which brings it to £342, and the cheapest possible combination on those date is £251 return.

Whereas over on easyJet website for LGW-NCE, the 0915 out, 1740 back is £398. And there are more expensive fares on these dates too.

Now of course we can't be sure on the various limitations here, but I think the OP should have been more specific about this issue.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Are you trying to book a same day return, or perhaps booking over the August Bank Holiday?

M

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well spotted. And even if you have to travel those dates there is a return fare of £272 from LHR...
Like PUCCI, NCE is one of my regular jaunts, hence my suggestion early on that the fare would be for the August Bank Holiday.

Likewise, Y fares are very high in May (Monaco GP & Cannes Film Festival), so I'm not sure of the surprise level by the OP.

As KARFA has pointed out, there are cheaper fares for the dates, but in my experience, the most expensive flights are the last of the night, and the mid-afternoon 'Infant Express' flight back to LHR!

M
Old May 9, 2017, 3:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
NCE flights in season are understandably expensive, but they make up for it with some of the best people watching of any BA flight in the network. And that's saying something (I'm looking at you, LAS, DXB, LOS...).

For the past few years I've been inexplicably lucky and have been able to get Avios reward flights instead of paying 300-500 a trip.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:32 am

Isn't the bob and HBO thing a bit of a red herring? Surely with those prices you would fly easyjet anyway even if the ba fare included baggage and proper catering?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obduro
And the OP has disappeared. All well and good talking about greed with no details of where this mystical price came from!
Apologies. I am not permanently attached to the forum and the booking screenshots would not - and still will not - upload via the mobile device functionality. I will put them on later for your reference.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Looking at flights to Nice in August and yes, this is a popular destination at that time of year. BA would like £504 for a basic of basic return economy fare. EasyJet want £238 for the same flight times.

Are customers really buying into the new Budget Airways (BA) and paying double that of an established LCC?

£504 to sit in a BA economy seat and get nothing. Hats off to their greed.
I'm genuinely worried about the future for BA. People used to pay more for BA because you got a meal, free seat selection etc etc.
Now that that is all gone and EJ /Ryan air have allocated seating. I genuinely don't know why anyone would choose BA for shorthaul. Our company certainly doesnt use BA for shorthaul as there is no reason/advantage to. Even the staff were asked for feedback on travel and they all said "easyjet is fine yeah" so no demand from the PAx either. As I said in another thread. Easyjet shorthaul (northern europe and UK) is 95% business PAX now anyway. I think we may see shorthaul BA dissapear. or indeed easyjet start flying long haul. Either way its not good for BA.

Last edited by bot_beany; May 9, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old May 9, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by beany_bot
I'm genuinely worried about the future for BA. People used to pay more for BA because you got a meal, free seat selection etc etc.
Now that that is all gone and EJ /Ryan air have allocated seating. I genuinely don't know why anyone would choose BA for shorthaul. Our company certainly doesnt use BA for shorthaul as there is no reason/advantage to. Even the staff were asked for feedback on travel and they all said "easyjet is fine yeah" so no demand from the PAx either. As I said in another thread. Easyjet shorthaul (northern europe and UK) is 95% business PAX now anyway. I think we may see shorthaul BA dissapear. or indeed easyjet start flying long haul. Either way its not good for BA.
Many of BA's shorthaul passengers from LHR live very close by so travelling to another LON airport for FR/EZY/MON etc is not convenient and could add cost (taxi/carpark/hotel) so (we) are happy to pay a reasonable premium to travel from our local airport.
This was a market segment "pioneered" by Bmi and BA never looked back (witness the huge explosion in leisure routes from LHR to France, Spain, Greece etc).

I booked BA LHR-NCE in late August for £95 per person. You just have to book early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.