Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Facial Recognition at LGW

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
I'm always happy to supply ID, as I pretty much always have ID on me. Government issued ID. I just don't see why I must give photos to LGW!
I suspect you would still be captured on CCTV systems as we all tend to across the country.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I suspect you would still be captured on CCTV systems as we all tend to across the country.
I'm very well aware of this, and have been since the 90's! In fact I find it quite scary the number of times that this happens every day in the UK.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm curious how buy your tickets? Untraceable bearer bonds?
They don't issue those anymore (at least in the US), it's all book-entry now. Stolen works of art may suffice, though.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
Since you don't have to fly (domestically) under your true name do you also fly using an alias?
Interesting thought! Might try as M.Mouse next time.
That would be quite embarrassing in the event of an upgrade - being called up for a new boarding pass on the gate tannoy!
Old May 6, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by headingwest
That would be quite embarrassing in the event of an upgrade - being called up for a new boarding pass on the gate tannoy!
Many moons ago, when I was at BA and when we first launched OLCI. We were doing some testing on the live systems. I had created a test booking for a Mr Mickey Mouse. Mr Mouse was travelling with hand baggage only.

I forgot to cancel Mr Mouse's booking and offload him from the flight. It turns out the gate staff on the flight were making announcements for Mr Mickey Mouse to make his way to gate X. They even did a check on board.

Old May 6, 2017, 2:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Many moons ago, when I was at BA and when we first launched OLCI. We were doing some testing on the live systems. I had created a test booking for a Mr Mickey Mouse. Mr Mouse was travelling with hand baggage only.

I forgot to cancel Mr Mouse's booking and offload him from the flight. It turns out the gate staff on the flight were making announcements for Mr Mickey Mouse to make his way to gate X. They even did a check on board.

I did something similar with Biggus Dickus that appeared on a demo to business users. Got me a bollocking
Old May 6, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Speedbird218

Speedbird, you just made my day (or night, as it were). That would've been epic to hear in the terminal.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Might try as M.Mouse next time.
No, you mustn't.

Mr Mouse's signature already confirms my chip&PIN transactions marked 'no signature required'. Yes, South Africa. I'm looking at you.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:08 am

Slightly OT- I didn't know the domestic setup allowed you to travel under a different/false name (I guess if I had ever given it much thought I would have realised). Presumably this opens up opportunities to manipulate the BAEC system by allocating TP's you earn domestically (can be a decent number now there is CE available) to a friend/family member/anyone prepared to "buy" them off you. I wonder if this goes on?
Old May 6, 2017, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Slightly OT- I didn't know the domestic setup allowed you to travel under a different/false name (I guess if I had ever given it much thought I would have realised). Presumably this opens up opportunities to manipulate the BAEC system by allocating TP's you earn domestically (can be a decent number now there is CE available) to a friend/family member/anyone prepared to "buy" them off you. I wonder if this goes on?
I don't think it is allowed as such. I really wouldn't recommend trying to fly under a false name or under someone else's name, there are obvious issues relating to to the law and to BAEC t&cs which could easily become a problem if you are spotted doing it.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...the data is automatically deleted after 24 hours...
You hope.
There was a former TSA agent that said the images were stored and laughed at in the back room. We don't know if the photos of faces are deleted, they could just be saying they do.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nmh1204
You hope.
There was a former TSA agent that said the images were stored and laughed at in the back room. We don't know if the photos of faces are deleted, they could just be saying they do.
The TSA images related to the body scanner though? This thread relates to face pictures for domestic flights which are not quite as sensitive.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mda03jb
Historically it's been mainly used for non UK EC members to get their 4 flights in.

The HAL manager was quite tickled when I joked that I was pleased I'd used my real name for this flight, as they'd lost my biometric photo and were using my driving license to let me on the domestic flight earlier this year.

You hope.
Closer to home there was of course the body scanner photo scandals in Heathrow (for the first generation of machines, where a female worker and a Bollywood star had their privacy violated) but it would be easy for a whistleblower to demonstrate if Gatwick were routinely storing photos for longer than promised. If you were worried, the loophole is that the photos are transferred to the security services before being deleted by Gatwick.

Last edited by 710 77345; May 6, 2017 at 5:25 am
Old May 6, 2017, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You hope.
GAL would risk a fine of £500,000 from the ICO if there was a breach of data protection principles.

[And in respect to body scanners, the then Secretary of State, now Prime Minister, has committed to Parliament that imagery is not stored at all, the data is processed in real time, a result given on a standardised human shape. The DfT audits the scanners on a regular basis].
Old May 6, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The TSA images related to the body scanner though? This thread relates to face pictures for domestic flights which are not quite as sensitive.
same principal though, the TSA said no images were created or stored, but they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.