Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by markle
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that there may be different restrictions for those with GE / TSA Pre Check and those who don't.
As someone who has GE, I would like that, but I also imagine that doing so would be a slippery slope.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by techie
As someone who has GE, I would like that, but I also imagine that doing so would be a slippery slope.
I really can't see European governments accepting that as would reduce most Europeans to second class non-laptop privleged fliers, whilst USA nationals would be predminantly be unaffected and allowed laptops

Plus it is un-preventabe that any GE flier could and would carry a second laptop onto flight for their non-GE colleague

I often travel/fly with 2x laptops, company and personal. As I am not allowed to use company laptops for personal use.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm travelling from CAI soon, transferring at LHR and then onto the USA. Will I be able to check in my laptop in at CAI and collect it at LHR before transferring and travelling onwards to USA?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm travelling from CAI soon, transferring at LHR and then onto the USA. Will I be able to check in my laptop in at CAI and collect it at LHR before transferring and travelling onwards to USA?
Subject to correction, but I don't think so, because you don't get your checked luggage to clear customs with and re-check US-style. So you won't get reunited with your laptop until you pick up your bag in the US of A.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Cannot I not ask for my bags to check in just as far as LHR?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by markle
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that there may be different restrictions for those with GE / TSA Pre Check and those who don't.

With that in mind, is BA any closer to being able to add your KTN to your booking?
IF there is some kind of eased restrictions I hope they do it via the KTN given most European members don't have a card.

BAs new booking system does at least support the KTN and TSA Pre but no idea if there actually working to implement it.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by RolandLondon
Cannot I not ask for my bags to check in just as far as LHR?
You can ask, but they are under no obligation to do it if both legs are on the same ticket and there is no overnight stay in London involved.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
And how does having GE stops anyone from carrying on board a bomb??? Ever heard of sleepers??
It would have to be the same rule for everyone.. otherwise it makes any ban completely useless otherwise.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SonTech
And how does having GE stops anyone from carrying on board a bomb??? Ever heard of sleepers??
It would have to be the same rule for everyone.. otherwise it makes any ban completely useless otherwise.
Well one only has to look at the differing security arrangements in term of removing items when going through TSA pre-check to see it doesn't always have to be the same rules for everyone.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7736076.html

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: Fix link
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well one only has to look at the differing security arrangements in term of removing items when going through TSA pre-check to see it doesn't always have to be the same rules for everyone.
Are those gates and hand luggage scanners in Pre-Check lanes different than what the dangerous riff raff go through? I am talking about the standard metal detectors, not the nude-o-scopes. Because if those gates are the same then it's just TSA monetising priority security rather than it being different rules.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by techie
Are those gates and hand luggage scanners in Pre-Check lanes different than what the dangerous riff raff go through? I am talking about the standard metal detectors, not the nude-o-scopes. Because if those gates are the same then it's just TSA monetising priority security rather than it being different rules.
There are different rules for TSA precheck as I noted.

EDIT: the point of my post was to show there are examples where it isn't same rules for all as suggested.

Last edited by KARFA; May 15, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 12:55 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

A summary text of the article is:

UK airline pilots have warned of the risk of a “catastrophic” on-board fire if a ban on laptops is introduced on transatlantic flights.

Most laptops, tablets and e-readers are powered by lithium batteries which, when faulty or short-circuited, can ignite.

Laurie Price, former Aviation Advisor to the Transport Select Committee and himself a private pilot, told The Independent: "We have had numerous incidents of devices with lithium batteries suddenly bursting into flames. If that is in the aircraft cabin, it can be dealt with. If in the aircraft hold, the fire-suppression systems are unlikely to be able to contain it and there is a lot of material to exacerbate such fires including other baggage, the aircraft structure, fuel and systems in an area which is inaccessible in flight.

"The consequences could be catastrophic."

The warning was echoed by the British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA), which believes the danger of a blaze spreading in the aircraft hold could be greater than the security risk posed by electronic devices in the cabin.
Would members please bear in mind that links should be supported with a brief summary to give a flavour of the article so others can decide whether to click through or not. This is a requirement of FT rule 7:

FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 — Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.
Thanks for your co-operation.

/mod
Old May 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Here is a question- in the near future I'll be routing home through Jordan (one of the "laptop ban" countries). So I understand correctly that I cannot bring an iPad onboard...necessitating a checked bag (I'll carry on all other flights).

Thus transferring from T5 to T2 at LHR I'll need to gather the checked bag and clear immigration/customs before heading to T2 and then clearing security in T2 before heading to the gate? (I will carry on again for the T2 flight).

Are they confiscating iPads at the security checkpoint of the originating city? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how it is all working.

Thanks for any info
Old May 15, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Where are you connecting to? Are you on one ticket?

If you are on one ticket AMM-LHR-XYZ then your bag will most likely go all the way. You may be able to ask for it to be short-checked only to LHR, however.

You should ideally check it in at origin, but you can also gate check it at AMM (I'm not recommending this, but it's an option - well, you're forced to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.