Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Family removed from BA flight because the kids wouldn't wear seatbelts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family removed from BA flight because the kids wouldn't wear seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by obduro
Wonder if they have a doctors note for driving too?
That you can do.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by C W
I don't think it's hypothetical at all.

If you cannot wear a seatbelt, you cannot fly.

Therefore if a doctor says you cannot wear a seatbelt, you cannot fly.

Why is irrelevant.

This makes a letter stating that somebody cannot wear a seatbelt a letter that means that they cannot fly.
It is hypothetical in relation to what the OP posted, because no one has seen the letter and, assuming it actually existed, there is no evidence that it said the passenger couldn't wear a seatbelt.

However if you are saying that what "apparently" happened is true, and if a doctors letter existed, and if it said the passenger couldn't wear a seatbelt, then I agree that they are effectively unable to fly. However there are a lot of ifs there and I wouldn't rely on the account of someone sat in another cabin who would not know the precise detail of what happened.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:57 pm

Another reason not to fly with kids. Parents, drive down to Cornwall, Highlands, Lake District, the Isle of Wight, Dover, you can even take the ferry to Ireland, Belgium or France. There's so many places to see that don't require a flight..
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by subject2load
And I'd say missdimeaner has summed things up very succinctly in describing it as a "virtual unfit to fly letter"
+1 ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:06 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by simons1
It is hypothetical in relation to what the OP posted, because no one has seen the letter and, assuming it actually existed, there is no evidence that it said the passenger couldn't wear a seatbelt.

However if you are saying that what "apparently" happened is true, and if a doctors letter existed, and if it said the passenger couldn't wear a seatbelt, then I agree that they are effectively unable to fly. However there are a lot of ifs there and I wouldn't rely on the account of someone sat in another cabin who would not know the precise detail of what happened.
Ahh I see. I agree the letter referenced by OP is hypothetical.

I was trying to say that an actual letter from a doctor that said you couldn't wear a seatbelt is a very real no-fly letter.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Another reason not to fly with kids. Parents, drive down to Cornwall, Highlands, Lake District, the Isle of Wight, Dover, you can even take the ferry to Ireland, Belgium or France. There's so many places to see that don't require a flight..
I can understand - and broadly agree with - your general sentiment.

However, worth remembering that there are sometimes 'unavoidable' reasons for taking young kids on an aircraft. A common one revolves around various family members who might be separated by geography, and the wish to arrange visits. (I myself would have seen far less of my nephews/nieces in their early years, had their Australian-based parents not brought them fairly regularly on holiday trips to the UK). There can also be a need for air travel with kids arising from personal tragic circumstances affecting family members in different parts of the world.

Family-specific issues apart, parents who have travelled widely in their youth might wish for their own children to experience different cultures, food, language - and a general awareness of the wider world. Whilst not a vital need, that sort of motive will often involve air travel.

Jimmie76 ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

Of course, there can be circumstances where it's unavoidable. But a lot of parents think like there's no weighing of priorities at all involved and everyone who could have an issue with little kids on planes is just a big ole meanie and has no legitimate arguments at all.

With regard to traveling the world and all that..I have a feeling most 2-7 year olds won't have much appreciation for all the marvels of that and in reality it's just the parents that want to go and take the kids with them.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I often fly with my now 6 year young girl.
Never had any kind of problem on a plane, yes nowadays she wants a window seat and enjoys the scenery. Up to last year she would not care where to sit.

Yes in the gate area she plays/runs around, I never leave her unattended.

We went on holiday early this month to Cha Am, flew UTH-DMK hired a car with driver to Cha Am, no way I will drive the 800kms x2. Left home at 5 am, swimming at beach/swimming pool at lunch time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:38 pm

This thread is now very OT. Stick to the topic.

Thanks,
Petrus, Moderator BAEC Forum
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:40 pm

Of course, there can be circumstances where it's unavoidable. But a lot of parents think like there's no weighing of priorities at all involved and everyone who could have an issue with little kids on planes is just a big ole meanie and has no legitimate arguments at all.

With regard to traveling the world and all that..I have a feeling most 2-7 year olds won't have much appreciation for all the marvels of that and in reality it's just the parents that want to go and take the kids with them.

Some rather sweeping statements here.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
it's not only children. 3 weeks ago a Saudi guy decided just as we were about to enter the runway to get up (he was in a bulkhead window (17A) I was in 18G) open the locker and try to find something from his bag. I told him (quite sternly) to sit down (3 times) which of course he ignored and he managed to sit down, with his back pack (not allowed in a bulkhead), just before we started our takeoff. Somewhat ammusingly he informed an immigration officer when we landed in Riyadh that I was a troublemaker (imagine that) and the official spent 5 minutes trying to find an excuse to keep me waiting (including taking pictures, finger prints etc). He then waited for me by the exit where you get your bags scanned to try and tell me the virtue of being a Saudi and that I was in his Country now etc etc. I won't repeat what I told him and just walked off.

Some people have no idea they are endangering the saftey of themselves and everyone around them. It's particularly bad in the ME but it's also not likely to change anytime soon
Moral_low_ground, First off, I understand your frustration. On flights throughout the GCC the sense of entitlement displayed by SOME khaliji (local Gulf Arabs) is appalling. The only time that I have ever seen a cabin crew put a local person in their place for moving around upon takeoff was on a US carrier flight between DXB and DOH. North American flight crews take no guff while Gulf Crews tend to do very little due to fear of losing their job upon being reported, like the guy did to you. A word to the wise would be to have NOT engaged with the guy any further. Once you are in their country, they have the advantage and if they have wasta they can make your life very difficult for you. They could inform the authorities that you swore at them, raised your middle finger at them or worst if all, made disparaging remarks against their religion. Being accused of having committed any of the above offensives will land you in jail. Not worth the five seconds of getting after them when flying TO their country airport. Flying AWAY from the Gulf, might allow for some leeway
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
That could apply to everyone. If parents and children flying bothers you so much it would be best if you stayed at home.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HilFly
I haven't seen any, but there are people out there who believe that lap children are in danger, and that all children should have their own seat and be restrained, using a baby seat if necessary.
The Stateside dismal scientists have run the numbers in different scenarios, and came to the conclusion that in an ideal world, banning lap infants would be best practices for optimal safety. However, the additional costs of mandating one plane seat per baby passenger would push too many US families to drive to domestic destinations instead, and those additional road miles would cause far more injuries and deaths to children than allowing lap infants in extremely safe planes does.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by madfish
That could apply to everyone. If parents and children flying bothers you so much it would be best if you stayed at home.
+1
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Cris L
Thank you so much! I love this, and wish it was done more frequently!
You wish more police officers would pretend to be acting in the course of their duty when they aren't and would threaten members of the public just to please their partner? I don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.