Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
... probably sounds like I should wait and book both legs in F.
If there is availability now in F outbound and J inbound, then you know that at worst you can travel in those cabins. Changing to F later is very easy.

However, if you dont book now and wait for F availability to open up on the inbound half, you may find that it never happens. And you could find that by the time it does, or by the time you give up, you can no longer get F on the outbound half or J on either half.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I have 2 F returns from SEA next summer booked at standad avios
Is there any way of converting this to a 2 4 1 at a later stage? Especially if outward seats open upen up?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I have 2 F returns from SEA next summer booked at standad avios
Is there any way of converting this to a 2 4 1 at a later stage? Especially if outward seats open upen up?
As per the wiki you will need to cancel your existing booking and rebook with the voucher, noting there is no guarantee the seats will be released back into the inventory.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by obduro
As per the wiki you will need to cancel your existing booking and rebook with the voucher, noting there is no guarantee the seats will be released back into the inventory.
Thanks ; sounds very risky!
Wondred whether the guys in the at the call centre have any more access; sounds like not
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:06 am

Hey All

Has anyone had any experience with this that can help. I want to use my 2-4-1 voucher on some flights and at the moment there is only J availability for the return leg and nothing in any class for the outbound leg.

Is there anything I can do to book the return leg now and play the waiting game for the outbound leg coming up (ideally in J but any class I suppose)?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mediamonkey; Nov 2, 2017 at 2:07 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Hey All

Has anyone had any experience with this that can help. I want to use my 2-4-1 voucher on some flights and at the moment there is only J availability for the return leg and nothing in any class for the outbound leg.

Is there anything I can do to book the return leg now and play the waiting game for the outbound leg coming up (ideally in J but any class I suppose)?

Thanks in advance
Best you can probably do is book any available date as an outbound (and/or any destination for the outbound in the same avios band) and then hope to be able to change it at some point. But bear in mind you won't though be able to abandon dummy outbound and just fly the inbound as a fall back.

It might be useful if you posted the route and date (roughly) in case that yields alternatives or specific advice. e.g. if you want to go to ORD, book NYC and then you have options to change it or fly indirect.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:32 am

Great advice Paul, thank you.

We're looking for 2pax outbound towards the end of Jan (flexible) to either Cape Town or Jo'Berg, and a return from either destination around the 11th March. Ideally in J but we've enough avios for any cabin.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Great advice Paul, thank you.

We're looking for 2pax outbound towards the end of Jan (flexible) to either Cape Town or Jo'Berg, and a return from either destination around the 11th March. Ideally in J but we've enough avios for any cabin.
these are both very popular routes which book up 355 days in advance. For example, there is no availability CPT to LON next September already. Your only hope is BA releasing more seats, which is unpredictable. However, they did so last year for the early part of Jan. You'll have to just keep your fingers crossed....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
That's a tricky one as availability is very limited and alternatives are thin on the ground, and you should grab those inbound seats asap. I wouldn't give you a great chance of finding a January J flight; there's not even anything available last minute in Nov/Dec at the moment.

If you have an alternative use for your 241, you could actually book IB MAD-JNB-MAD (eg 1Feb-10Mar) for 170k avios and £300. That compares quite favourably to 125k avios +voucher + £1100 on BA, though you have to add the costs/hassle of getting to MAD. Middle ground would be to fly out from MAD and get a Lloyds voucher in a hurry to get a good value one-way BA redemption straight home.

Otherwise there's seats to MRU on 31Jan but that's in a higher avios band so only really an option if you want to add that to your trip.

Or you could book Nairobi or Luanda instead, and hope to change. NBO might be a reasonable routing to VicFalls if you were thinking of going there (15k FlyingBlue NBO-LVI); Luanda is less indirect but much less obvious (Using BA76 Luanda as a route home from South Africa).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:07 pm

Thanks Paul. Hugely useful advice here. Thanks so much. I'll let you know what we do. the Mad option might be good, shall look into it more as we'll have a baby with us too.... however a few nights in Madrid before SA might be nice...

Originally Posted by pauldb
That's a tricky one as availability is very limited and alternatives are thin on the ground, and you should grab those inbound seats asap. I wouldn't give you a great chance of finding a January J flight; there's not even anything available last minute in Nov/Dec at the moment.

If you have an alternative use for your 241, you could actually book IB MAD-JNB-MAD (eg 1Feb-10Mar) for 170k avios and £300. That compares quite favourably to 125k avios +voucher + £1100 on BA, though you have to add the costs/hassle of getting to MAD. Middle ground would be to fly out from MAD and get a Lloyds voucher in a hurry to get a good value one-way BA redemption straight home.

Otherwise there's seats to MRU on 31Jan but that's in a higher avios band so only really an option if you want to add that to your trip.

Or you could book Nairobi or Luanda instead, and hope to change. NBO might be a reasonable routing to VicFalls if you were thinking of going there (15k FlyingBlue NBO-LVI); Luanda is less indirect but much less obvious (Using BA76 Luanda as a route home from South Africa).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'm currently at my destination, so have used the outbound leg of the 2-4-1. Now having second thoughts about the return. Can I:

- cancel it (I think not)

- downgrade from Club to WT and get a refund of the difference? (I did think I could but I read something I can't now find on here which made me wonder whether that was right)
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
I'm currently at my destination, so have used the outbound leg of the 2-4-1. Now having second thoughts about the return. Can I:

Why would you be unable to cancel? Certainly BA has no interest in forcing you to take the flight, or being a no show.....
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by louie-m

- downgrade from Club to WT and get a refund of the difference? (I did think I could but I read something I can't now find on here which made me wonder whether that was right)
You can cancel but having flown the outbound you will not be entitled to a refund of avios for the inbound.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Why would you be unable to cancel? Certainly BA has no interest in forcing you to take the flight, or being a no show.....
Sorry, I did mean "and get a refund of the avios and taxes, fees and charges for the return less the change fee", which I didn't make clear and which Jerry has clarified.

Anyone know about downgrading and thus getting at least some of the avios back?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:37 am

Hello fellow flyers, does anyone know how often BA open up Avios redemptions for F? I know CW is guaranteed 2 per day and F isn’t guaranteed but when F does show up is there a method to the madness? I.e does F get released at midnight or can it be sparadoic throughout the day? Just need any idea based on peoples previous experiences.

For some context I’m looking for F from LHR to LAS for the 17th sept. I currently have it booked in J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.