Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:37 pm

Any help with my previous post would be much appreciated

Andyb747F

Fantastic discussion and some really helpful advice. I have a question though regarding availability.

Currently we have F booked outbound and J booked for the return on a 2-4-1 next year to JNB. I'm trying to get F on the return sector however for the date we are due back there is no availability in F. Is there any pattern as to when F may become available? We are due to return of on a Saturday night, all other Saturday nights in that month have availability in F, however the night we are trying to return there is no F available. By me constantly checking is this alerting BA there is demand for this date? We booked both the outbound and return at the -355 limits and checked the return at 2359 GMT. There was no availability in F when the seats were released for the return leg.

I have been pretty regimental in checking everyday. Im aware that BA will only issue 2 J and 4 Y seats per flight, when do cabins currently unavailable get released (I am aware there is no guarantee of F opening up), is it at Midnight GMT or can it happen any time during the day?

I have an ExpertFlyer alert setup as well, however I expect I will have to keep checking daily on the off chance F opens up.

Thanks for all your help in getting this far..

AB
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Andyb747F
Any help with my previous post would be much appreciated

Andyb747F

Fantastic discussion and some really helpful advice. I have a question though regarding availability.

Currently we have F booked outbound and J booked for the return on a 2-4-1 next year to JNB. I'm trying to get F on the return sector however for the date we are due back there is no availability in F. Is there any pattern as to when F may become available? We are due to return of on a Saturday night, all other Saturday nights in that month have availability in F, however the night we are trying to return there is no F available. By me constantly checking is this alerting BA there is demand for this date? We booked both the outbound and return at the -355 limits and checked the return at 2359 GMT. There was no availability in F when the seats were released for the return leg.

I have been pretty regimental in checking everyday. Im aware that BA will only issue 2 J and 4 Y seats per flight, when do cabins currently unavailable get released (I am aware there is no guarantee of F opening up), is it at Midnight GMT or can it happen any time during the day?

I have an ExpertFlyer alert setup as well, however I expect I will have to keep checking daily on the off chance F opens up.

Thanks for all your help in getting this far..

AB
What month are you looking for?

I am guessing you are searching for 20th May?

The JNB route does tend to open up availability further for that part of the year as the time approaches. Eg even in Feb / Mar next year seats may pop-up.

As to time of day, "planned" tranches open up at 0100 GMT - e.g. rolling extra availability 2 weeks before the flight - but seats can pop into inventory at any time of day if someone cancels and the computer decides to say yes. Expertflyer is your best bet.

Last edited by redshift27; Jun 14, 2017 at 4:58 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:49 am

Hi Redshift

Thanks for the info and advice. Its the 19th May we are booked on. Expertflyer alert is all setup and I am checking every day. I'll keep going and hope for it opens up.

Thanks again
AB
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:32 am

Voucher information link

Can someone who has an active voucher in their account please copy and paste the the link the the "More voucher information" in this image goes to.

I don't believe that it is a link unique to you but I can't access it as I don't have an active voucher. I want to get voucher numbers and expiry dates of my historic vouchers.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Mergetrip
Can someone who has an active voucher in their account please copy and paste the the link the the "More voucher information" in this image goes to.

I don't believe that it is a link unique to you but I can't access it as I don't have an active voucher. I want to get voucher numbers and expiry dates of my historic vouchers.

Many thanks.
Try https://www.britishairways.com/trave..._gb?eId=188010
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by redshift27
Thanks very much redshift. It worked a treat! My next post will explain why I need it.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:49 am

Question

A bit of an abridged version of my situation:
  • RFS return leg (KLX-LHR) cancelled on 27 May (IT issue day). Travellers are me, wife, two infants. Return leg cost: 20k avios + Amex241 (rtn leg) + 2k avios + 2k avios + £50 RFS fees.
  • BA told me on phone on 1 June that I would receive back 44k Avios. This was acceptable
  • On 5 June I received a clear email stating I would receive back 24k Avios + Amex 241 voucher. No mention of RFS fees. It said both of these would be credited to my account in 24 hours. This was also acceptable, though I assumed that the Amex 241 would retain its original conditions (i.e. depart from UK, original expiry etc). 24k Avios posted very quickly.
  • On 8 June and 9 June two different representatives told me that the Amex 241 would not be reinstated despite me having email confirmation that it would recredited to my account. As I had an email stating that it would be returned I had researched an award booking to Asia over Christmas. Unfortunately as the voucher was not returned to my account I had to use a voucher from my wife’s account. If mine had been returned then I would have used mine (as it had a shorter expiry).
  • On 13 June, I received email confirming EU261 and Disruption Expenses. No mention of RFS fees or Amex 241 being returned. I followed up by email asking for a final position with respect to the Amex 241.
  • Today BA confirmed in writing “I'm sorry you haven't been able to get your American Express Companion Voucher reinstated. Customer Relations don't deal with these sort of queries, however I did speak to the Blue Executive Club for you. As previously advised, since the voucher has been partially used for the outbound journey they're unable to reinstate it. I apologise for this and I understand how disappointing this must be. I'm afraid Customer Relations are unable to change this outcome.”

My question to those more experienced than me, is what do you think (if anything) should I pursue with BA:
  1. Should I accept what BA appear to currently be telling me that effectively the return leg using an Amex 241 is worth nil. For the avoidance of doubt I would not have used my Amex 241 on just an outward LHR-KLX flight, given the choice.
  2. Should I pursue BA for the equivalent number of lost Avios (20k) or equivalent monetary value (20k x 1.6p = £320).
  3. Should I pursue BA for the equivalent number of Avios it is saving on the Christmas Asia flights (120k) or equivalent monetary value (120k x 1.6p = £1,920).
  4. Should I try to pursue BA to reinstate the voucher (ideally with an extended expiry), as I clearly have it in writing from them on 5 June.

If pursuing option 2 or 3, do you see my options as either A) CEDR; B) MCOL; C) Something else and what would you recommend. I am not sure how to take option 4 forward.

I would welcome any advice from the experts on this forum.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:38 pm

Despite the June 5 email, vouchers can be redeemed only on round-trip bookings, as indicated in the Terms & Conditions, as well as the wiki (above). Why do you feel entitled to the return of the voucher? Didn't you use the voucher on the outbound flight? Perhaps I got lost in the middle of your post......
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Did BA get you back from KLX (or refund your expenses if you got yourselves back)? If so I would suggest that you got what you used your Avios plus 241 plus RFS fees to pay for. If BA have met their duty of care and accepted your EU261 claim I'm not sure what else you should expect.
It may be I am missing someting though.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:08 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Despite the June 5 email, vouchers can be redeemed only on round-trip bookings, as indicated in the Terms & Conditions, as well as the wiki (above).
The wiki actually says (my emphasis):
  • Valid towards return flights only, with the journey originating from and returning to your country of membership (with the exception of vouchers issued in the UK which may also be used for one-way travel)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:21 am

The voucher was booked on a round trip LHR-KLX-LHR. As BA could not deliver KLX-LHR they have refunded the Avios spent on that leg. I assume the fees paid on that leg are in the process of being refunded. However effectively half the value of my voucher has been lost. They said in an email to me on 5 June that it would be recredited to my account, so that is why I feel it should be returned. To say there is no value associated with it as it is part (half) flown seems unfair to me.

BA only fly KLX-LHR only twice a week. I was not prepared to wait 5 days for the next BA flight so booked my own separate flight. I have not claimed disruption expenses for this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I'm looking to use a 241 for WT+ tickets to Singapore.

The fees from LHR are £913 which is fine, but I ran the same flights but with a JER start and they are £200 more.

Shouldn't a Jersey start reduce the APD taxes, and therefore the overall fees?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LSunbury
I'm looking to use a 241 for WT+ tickets to Singapore.

The fees from LHR are £913 which is fine, but I ran the same flights but with a JER start and they are £200 more.

Shouldn't a Jersey start reduce the APD taxes, and therefore the overall fees?
Yes it should - shouldn't be any APD to pay. What dates are you looking at? Could you copy and past here the taxes/fees/charges breakdown for both options?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Yes, thanks - mea culpa.

I just re-ran it and selected the correct JER flight to ensure an under 24 hour connection and it came back at £787.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Mergetrip
The voucher was booked on a round trip LHR-KLX-LHR. As BA could not deliver KLX-LHR they have refunded the Avios spent on that leg. I assume the fees paid on that leg are in the process of being refunded. However effectively half the value of my voucher has been lost. They said in an email to me on 5 June that it would be recredited to my account, so that is why I feel it should be returned. To say there is no value associated with it as it is part (half) flown seems unfair to me.

BA only fly KLX-LHR only twice a week. I was not prepared to wait 5 days for the next BA flight so booked my own separate flight. I have not claimed disruption expenses for this.
I would agree with your position, specifically that BA have not reimbursed you all the costs of the return leg. They aren't going to give you half a 241 voucher, so I would push for the equivalent avios: another 20k or go to CEDR for the equivalent money value. (I don't think the Asia value is relevant: you are entitled to reimbursement of what you paid for the KLX trip).

Do you mean you aren't pursuing EU261 cancellation compensation for this? €400 x 4 would surely be a better priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.