Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Austin airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BA and Austin airport

SWMBO and I are flying BA/J to Austin next week.

There is not very much about the airport on FT, other than the fascinating thread about the early BA flights, and the FT section on Texas is not very well populated. (Unless I am looking in the wrong place).

I know about the AA lounge near gate 13 for the return, and the possible need to ask for extra vouchers(!), but does anyone else have any helpful insights, please!

(The return is currently unticketed, but we have dealt with that on other threads)
Thanks in anticipation.
AO
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The 500+ posts in this thread extend into 2017 and cover a lot more than just "early BA flights":

BA to Launch LHR-AUS [Austin, Texas] with 788
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
The AUS Admirals Club is not bad by Admirals Club standards.

Not much else to report, AUS is a small airport. Grab food from the Salt Lick restaurant which is under the AC, was recommended to me by the lounge laides on my first trip to the AUS AC. It's widely regarded as one of the best airport food places in the US.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
The AUS Admirals Club is not bad by Admirals Club standards.
Agreed. I was very pleasantly surprised when I passed through. It's quite a small airport so (in my experience) quick to pass through security and get to the lounge.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

There is not very much about the airport on FT, other than the fascinating thread about the early BA flights, and the FT section on Texas is not very well populated. (Unless I am looking in the wrong place).

I know about the AA lounge near gate 13 for the return, and the possible need to ask for extra vouchers(!), but does anyone else have any helpful insights, please!

(The return is currently unticketed, but we have dealt with that on other threads)
Thanks in anticipation.
AO
As an Austin resident, and one who has yet to fly BA, I'd be eager to read your review of said flight. Given the negative press about BA I've been reading I'm considering flying on someone else, maybe AA, connecting through DFW instead of the non-stop on BA to London.

I have yet to do an international flight in and out of Austin, but I hear from friends that owing to its size immigrations/customs was a breeze.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:56 pm

Arrival at AUS is a dream. After strolling some corridors and avoiding the temptation to skip past the tensa barriers to the street you end up in a one belt baggage claim. On the left are the APC booths and the GE on the right, which you can get out of the way while waiting for any luggage to show. You can clear extremely quickly as the combined immigration and customs desks are only for the BA flight (although i hear Lufthansa may start doing flights soon too which could interfere?)

The airport is very close to the city so there is no need to build in much journey time before your return, unless you are very keen to spend time on the putting green in the club. I found the staff in the club to have great southern hospitality, with table service in the bar area and they generally "forgot" to take the vouchers for many of the premium drinks.

Enjoy Texas!

Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

There is not very much about the airport on FT...
Watching with interest, as I am taking my first flight out of Austin next week on BA and have never been to the Austin airport.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by londonsmiler
Arrival at AUS is a dream. After strolling some corridors and avoiding the temptation to skip past the tensa barriers to the street you end up in a one belt baggage claim. On the left are the APC booths and the GE on the right, which you can get out of the way while waiting for any luggage to show. You can clear extremely quickly as the combined immigration and customs desks are only for the BA flight (although i hear Lufthansa may start doing flights soon too which could interfere?)

The airport is very close to the city so there is no need to build in much journey time before your return, unless you are very keen to spend time on the putting green in the club. I found the staff in the club to have great southern hospitality, with table service in the bar area and they generally "forgot" to take the vouchers for many of the premium drinks.

Enjoy Texas!

A lovely city, though some central districts can quickly become sketchy.

No uber, so be prepared to download local aps. If you are up to it there's an express bus into the city centre every 30 minutes, $1.25
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
AUS is small and convenient. The Admirals is nice, but often busy around 6pm when the BA190 leaves. The BA gate is at the other end of the airport concourse too.

But very convenient. Most US lounges leave much to be desired so I wouldn't plan on spending much time there (unless it's something like LAX, SFO or JFK). The staff at AUS were very generous too
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:00 pm

I was there earlier this week. If you are on the BA flight, they mark your boarding card with a red biro which means you get unlimited premium drinks from the bar and food as well (although I only tried the drinks).

Agreed that the staff there are lovely. Be aware that there are no showers in the Austin lounge, and no where in the airport to leave your bags. So if like me you were connecting through Austin on HBO and decide to take a quick 2 hour jaunt into the city (recommended to get some real southern food), you can quickly become hot and sweaty. It was 30 degrees when I went in earlier this week. Showers really were missed!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by londonsmiler
You can clear extremely quickly as the combined immigration and customs desks are only for the BA flight (although i hear Lufthansa may start doing flights soon too which could interfere?)

There is already a Condor flight from FRA although it is not daily. There are also flights from Mexico that use the facility. There is a flight from Toronto but I assume it preclears in Canada (I have not taken that particular flight yet).

Still, you are correct that it is as quick and easy as it comes for USA arrivals.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
As an Austin resident, and one who has yet to fly BA, I'd be eager to read your review of said flight. Given the negative press about BA I've been reading I'm considering flying on someone else, maybe AA, connecting through DFW instead of the non-stop on BA to London.
What is your specific concern about the BA flight? There are a few ways that AA is somewhat better now (J seat) but writing as an Austin resident that takes the BA flight about a dozen times a year the convenience of the nonstop trumps any other concern that I have. I shouldn't even use the word concern as the flight is fine in all classes (I've flown them all in both directions).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by spanglysteve
I was there earlier this week. If you are on the BA flight, they mark your boarding card with a red biro which means you get unlimited premium drinks from the bar and food as well (although I only tried the drinks).

Agreed that the staff there are lovely. Be aware that there are no showers in the Austin lounge, and no where in the airport to leave your bags. So if like me you were connecting through Austin on HBO and decide to take a quick 2 hour jaunt into the city (recommended to get some real southern food), you can quickly become hot and sweaty. It was 30 degrees when I went in earlier this week. Showers really were missed!
The evening food got a lot better when the BA flight started. Still not great. As others have noted there is better food for not much money close by.

I like the wine bar which is a relatively recent addition. It gets crowded though there is often a line.

Agree that lack of luggage storage and no showers is drawback.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
As a former AUS resident, my recommendation is to not limit yourself to the lounge. It's such a delightful airport! Get a margarita and some BBQ from The Salt Lick, and finish off with Amy's ice-cream. You will not be disappointed!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:40 pm

Agreed on Amy's...Heath Bar mixed in with Coffee Ice Cream is my person favorite but you can't go wrong with anything. This has got to be my favorite airport sweet treat in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.