Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why keep the Concorde Room anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
@Tobias-UK. Thanks... Now that I've reread the statement I copied, I see the intended message...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Fitch
I am in the CCR a lot at the moment and will miss it when it's gone, though perhaps not so much the tatty furniture, slightly surly staff and lack of powerpoints
We enjoyed our visit to the CCR and were fortunate not to encounter any surly staff. In fact, quite the opposite. And our breakfast was fine as well.

However, I find it amazing that BA has let some of the furniture deteriorate to such a sad condition in what they claim is their finest lounge at LHR. I have noted many comments here on FT with regard to this situation. Does their management not recognize this? Surely it would not be that expensive to maintain the couches, chairs and other furniture in the CCR at a pristine level.....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Fitch
I am in the CCR a lot at the moment and will miss it when it's gone, though perhaps not so much the tatty furniture, slightly surly staff and lack of powerpoints
Maybe they think its "shabby chic"!

Is that powerpoints or power points? (apologies for the pedantry)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

I have been in the CCR once and was decidedly underwhelmed. I ordered a steak and it was overcooked and tough. While GF gives a feeling of space the CCR has the aura of a pub in need of refurbishment.

I'm not surprised someone's brought up the QR J comparison again, even if it was in jest. It's not "better" but it's certainly comparable. As others have said the T4 lounge is great, even if you do get the same experience in F as J.

That said, of course they should keep it. It's the flagship and it should be refurbished in a sympathetic manner which avoids bling. This would cost money, however, so I'm not sure it's something that's likely to happen.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beano HK

Is that powerpoints or power points? (apologies for the pedantry)
Or PowerPoints if you're being really pedantic
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
On my one visit to the Concorde Room, I sat on the terrace because inside was extremely busy. The only highlight of sitting on a terrace (which I just don't like in either lounge) was the fact the LPGS was never empty thanks to an attentive server.

Next time I will find a seat come hell or high water. Both Galleries First and Concorde Room could do with ditching the terrace completely and enlarging the lounges. Galleries First is a tremendous zoo of a lounge at T5.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've always enjoyed my times in the CCR and the terrace is a nice place to sit. I would like more vegetarian options on the breakfast menu but it's easy to order enough to fill yourself up.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've always enjoyed my times in the CCR and the terrace is a nice place to sit. I would like more vegetarian options on the breakfast menu but it's easy to order enough to fill yourself up.
I'm going to highlight this positive message (though there are others upthread) since the very occasional user, perhaps on a splurge, may get concerns about some of the reports here. I suspect they come from those hardbitten by a bad experience (or indeed several) but even SFO777 has given CCR flying colours recently, and, being charitable, that is quite a severe test. I like the CCR, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from enjoying their time there.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I too, enjoy my visits to the Concorde Room.

I know it is not perfect but it is a good place.

Yes, the furniture is tatty. I have been informed by Baxter Storey (BS) management that work is planned for the near future to replace the old furniture. I think that more material work is being considered for 2018, if I understood correctly.

The food is reasonable rather than hugely exciting, however, I think there is evidence that thought is given to meals provided. I think the servings are a little small but there is nothing wrong for asking for another dish and at least you can try a few.

The champagne, wines and spirit selection is pretty good - the best you can get in BA and a huge step above the New York cousin, which is very poor unfortunately.

I think the BS lounge management is receptive to constructive feedback, which I have given in recent years. I have noticed improvements in the last six months with staff being more proactive. Still, I do think the staff could be more attentive to diners in the booths, especially with drink top ups, and I mentioned this earlier this year.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
While I've been in the CCR when it's been absurdly crowded, I'll still happily take the option over T5 GF.

Now if only BA can get the other aspects of their ground handling for F pax in order...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gengar
... Now if only BA can get the other aspects of their ground handling for F pax in order...
Oh, yes please! ^
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
CCR makes perfect sense. It already is a "cut" because emeralds should be allowed in first lounges.

It anything was to be cut it would be Club World London city. I fly this route often and it's hardly ever more than half full. Crew say they often fly with just 1 or 2 passengers and it needs 16 of the seats full just to break even... last 3 times I have flown there were 11, 15 and 13 in total.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:00 pm

I've only visited once and it was threadbare, with broken toilets and probably the worst espresso martini I've ever tasted. The dining area was nice though.

Logically I'd extend Galleries First to encompass the entire floor and make a seperate Concorde Dining Room for true first passengers in part of what now is the lounge.

honestly it's so inferior to Cathays home OWE lounges, and Qantas' OWE international lounges, it might be best just to give up trying.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
If you've been through DOH in the early hours of the morning you'll know it's a horrid place, business class or not. Crowds of people, huge distances between gates and lounges and all of the appeal of STN at 6am.
<snip>
And let's not even get started on the freak show of a teddy bear.
Glad its not just me. Went thru DOH a couple of nights back. The experience was so far below expectation.
Confusing signs (and signs pointing in the wrong direction). Design faults meaning shuttle train passengers overclog the stairwells/escalators. The most awful "first" lounge with the size and ambience of a shoebox. Airport Wifi an order of magnitude slower than the dial-up I had in South African back country a couple of weeks back.
The plastic panelled Teddy Bear was more of a redeeming feature
More happily, the employees were helpful pointing me where I needed to go every 100m or so and the wee 'executive Bus' to the onward flight was nice (I seemed to qualify as OWE travelling Y). And the bogs were okay
But, gosh, that "first lounge" ... I can't think of a current OWS lounge in T3 or T5 I'd put behind it!! So yeh, the Al Safwa is wonderful but Qatar are certainly capable of dropping the ball.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm going to highlight this positive message (though there are others upthread) since the very occasional user, perhaps on a splurge, may get concerns about some of the reports here. I suspect they come from those hardbitten by a bad experience (or indeed several) but even SFO777 has given CCR flying colours recently, and, being charitable, that is quite a severe test. I like the CCR, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from enjoying their time there.
Thanks, the problem of course is that I may fall in love with the new BOS lounge and like that more It's a shame that once you get on board the VLML in F is so bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.