Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken First Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:34 am

LondonCapeTownAnyday, you might want to drop a quick complaint in the Financial Ombudsman as your complaint wasn't handled properly. Won't take long at all, and will focus minds.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Whilst it is clear you are entitled to compensation for the affected flight, what you are not entitled to is a refund of the entire round-trip ticket.

The credit card company cannot arbitrarily decide a supplier is liable and to what extent
I don't disagree, but in my very limited experience credit card companies do seem to go for the jugular on this sort of thing. I disputed £60 of a hotel booking for a hotel stay of about £400 once. I only asked for £60; Amex got the entire stay refunded.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I don't think you are home and dry, I would certainly not spend that card refund just yet.

I don't really understand the need to charge back 100% rather than 50% of ticket price, since it was a return flight. Don't know whether that was
a)because no mechanism to charge back other than 100% with your bank
b)you were wanting to provoke a response + reaction from BA
c)you were "greedy" and in anycase can't change your mind later and increase the amount

Chargeback for a partially delivered service is not as straight forwards as for physical items, paid for but either never provided or faulty and returned

Payments for a service, rather than goods, which is what flights, hotel rooms are, is still delivered to some lesser extent than customer wishes even when not perfect so provider may argue/defend their position with your bank that fully amount not refundable.

The provider, in this case BA, then assigns/argues the value of what was provided satisfactory and partially. I am sure BA can easily and sucessfully argue 50% is not refundable as only one segment affected of outbound/inbound flight.

The real issue is apportioning a value to the problem half of the ticket. Even with a broken seat, the flight got you from A-B etc so had some value, even if you state you preferred not to fly and BA staff fooled you into using seat.

I can not see BA letting this slide, and expect BA to follow up. If you'd claimed only 50% refund maybe BA would have let slide, consequently I see BA chasing not just 50% attributable to good leg, but also a proportion of price paid for the seat broken leg.
Great point, very assertively made. Simple answer: I could only dispute 100% of the charge with the cc company. The cc company then advise me of any adjustments suggested by the merchant, in this case BA.

If this does change, or I get an update, then I will try to let you know.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by beetlebum
Great point, very assertively made. Simple answer: I could only dispute 100% of the charge with the cc company. The cc company then advise me of any adjustments suggested by the merchant, in this case BA.

If this does change, or I get an update, then I will try to let you know.
I for one will be waiting with interest for outcome of BA responding and defending to your bank in whatever NN days they are allowed. I really hope you manage to at least keep a good percentage of the cost of the problem leg. BA's final take it or leave it £100 offer is really insulting and to my mind both derisable and indefensible.

You are no doubt aware of compensation BA historically offered pre-Cruz for a broken first seat (usually Avios), and BA should not be allowed to argue and win that issue is worth less now.

Personally, i'd have no issues with you sticking it to BA for a 100% refund due to BA's intransigence and insulting final offer, it would serve BA right. Alas I just can't see that full refund not being sucessfully challenged by BA .
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A quick question came to me from the options at the beginning of the thread:

Suppose the OP had discovered the broken seat upon boarding and given the flight was full with no other seat available; he decides to voluntarily offload himself. Would EC261 compensation apply? Or would it only apply if he was IDB'd?

Similarly, is BA under any obligation to rebook him onto a later service, or is he basically on his own mid journey?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jagboi
A quick question came to me from the options at the beginning of the thread:

Suppose the OP had discovered the broken seat upon boarding and given the flight was full with no other seat available; he decides to voluntarily offload himself. Would EC261 compensation apply? Or would it only apply if he was IDB'd?

Similarly, is BA under any obligation to rebook him onto a later service, or is he basically on his own mid journey?
Have a look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post28012609
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by sxc
Oops. Missed that somehow.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Good Afternoon guys - an update from me.

AMEX today sent a letter saying that they have been forced to reinstate the flight charges as BA have not communicated with them about my depute.

Absolutely bizarre.

BA have managed to overturn AMEX' efforts to resolve this by not simply not responding to AMEX requests for information about the flight and my depute. AMEX believe that the charge should not stand on my account but cannot help me.

Taking some time to re quaint myself with this thread and some of my legal eagles. Terribly disappointing and shambolic BA.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I don't think Amex are being totally honest with you there. Didn't you say you had it in writing from amex that this was full and final?
Old May 20, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

AMEX today sent a letter saying that they have been forced to reinstate the flight charges as BA have not communicated with them about my depute.

Absolutely bizarre.

BA have managed to overturn AMEX' efforts to resolve this by not simply not responding to AMEX requests for information about the flight and my depute. AMEX believe that the charge should not stand on my account but cannot help me.

Taking some time to re quaint myself with this thread and some of my legal eagles. Terribly disappointing and shambolic BA.
As an aside - what flavor of Amex do you have?
Old May 20, 2017, 8:49 am
Suspended

This seems very odd. If BA didn't come back to Amex, why would they have to reinstate the charge? Does anyone else know if that is normal? From my understanding of a cc dispute, the merchant has a certain time to respond to defend the charge back?
Old May 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Exactly. If they don't respond then it is automatically found in your favour, which is why I said I don't think amex are being 100% honest about it.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Absolutely bizarre.

The reversal of the chargeback is no surprise, but the reason you give sounds wrong. There is some error in the explanation you have received.

I would remind you of my earlier post in this topic:

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I wouldn't count your chickens just yet. I presume your credit card company is handling your complaint under the Consumer Credit Act provisions or under its supplier agreement. Whilst it is clear you are entitled to compensation for the affected flight, what you are not entitled to is a refund of the entire round-trip ticket.

The credit card company cannot arbitrarily decide a supplier is liable and to what extent, it cannot simply charge back and think that is the end of it. This charge may well reappear in your account in the future. It depends on what the supplier thinks of the chargeback, and how it wishes to deal with it.
On this basis, concentrate your efforts on what compensation you are actually entitled to, not on the reversal of the chargeback.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry to hear this situation still hasn't resolved in your favour.

The terms and conditions for American Express card acceptance states the following: "We have Chargeback rights (or our previous decision to exercise our Chargeback rights will remain in effect) for the amount of the Disputed Charge if, by the end of that fourteen (14) day period, you have not either provided the Cardmember with a full refund, or provided us with the information requested."

So you've certainly been given incorrect information as, from what I understand from the above, if the merchant doesn't provide AmEx with a response within 14 days the chargeback would stand.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ben1991
Sorry to hear this situation still hasn't resolved in your favour.

The terms and conditions for American Express card acceptance states the following: "We have Chargeback rights (or our previous decision to exercise our Chargeback rights will remain in effect) for the amount of the Disputed Charge if, by the end of that fourteen (14) day period, you have not either provided the Cardmember with a full refund, or provided us with the information requested."

So you've certainly been given incorrect information as, from what I understand from the above, if the merchant doesn't provide AmEx with a response within 14 days the chargeback would stand.
Based on this, I would be sending a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. Let them deal with it and see what happens from there. I could be wrong, but is Amex not liable to some extent? Doesnt the consumer get protection to a certain level?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.