Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays bookings - BAEC earning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I've booked several economy class BA Holidays and had different fare classes each time, including getting 10 tier points outbound and a mysterious 5 points inbound (with reduced Avios too).

A slight irritant, but I'd saved a fortune compared to flight only booking and wasn't likely to pass through a status barrier.

Topcashback, whatever random fare class value you get, 2 Avios per £ on the total booking value and the actual cash saving had me happy enough though.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GLABA
It'll be selling class G.so bottom of the pack for TPs and excluded from triple avios promotions but act as qualifying flights and still add some TPs.
Are you sure it's excluded from the triple avios promo? I can't see that anywhere...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Percy Pig
Are you sure it's excluded from the triple avios promo? I can't see that anywhere...
G class isn't a published fare - it's a tour operator fare, as I understand it.

The Ts & Cs say: "a Qualifying Flight is a published or corporate negotiated net fare flight in any selling class or cabin."

In fact it might go further than just class G:

17) This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal, including but not limited to: (i) redemption bookings; (ii) travel agent or industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts), inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes; and (iii) bookings made with vouchers (e.g. shareholder's discount voucher).
Whether they'll actually enforce that, and whether a BA holiday is considered an 'inclusive holiday' if it's priced on the basis of hotel + flight separately, I don't know, but in theory they could say that it's strictly for flight-only bookings.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
G class isn't a published fare - it's a tour operator fare, as I understand it.
G certainly IS a published fare, it appears in the Avios Calculator.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ok, well I signed up for the triple avios promo and my flight is next week so I will report back on my G fare!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
A weekend day-trip G class return scored me triple in the last promotion. Though three times not a lot is still not a lot...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by paulieuk
G certainly IS a published fare, it appears in the Avios Calculator.
Trouble is G gets used for two different things - Group Bookings and BA Holiday Y Fares. Flight-only group bookings would qualify for the triple avios promotion, I imagine.

However, in the case of BA holidays bookings, I suspect that is an inclusive holiday and therefore excluded.

To work out what's what, you would need the full fare could, not just the G bucket bit, and the description of the fare in the T&Cs.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by FrancisA
However, in the case of BA holidays bookings, I suspect that is an inclusive holiday and therefore excluded.
In last years promotion I had a flight + hotel which did post for triple Avios on the flights, in G bucket.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA

For other cabins, I don't think there is a separate letter used, but I suspect all holiday bookings book into one fare bucket. As mention up thread for first this is the F bucket.
I've got a BA holiday booked in First which is showing as A so I don't think that's the case.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
All very interesting data points, thanks all.

From my point of view, just to ensure that BA holidays would be a qualifying flight to act as two of the minimum four flights I need for BAEC status it seems certain that it does qualify.

Perhaps a section should be dedicated on the already very comprehensive dashboard for BA holidays summarising the above - if I remember correctly booking a Flight + Hotel/Car also gives a means to avoid or defray the BA Credit Card payment surcharge?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Barelyblue
I've got a BA holiday booked in First which is showing as A so I don't think that's the case.
I believe FrancisA was referring to me. To clarify, the BA prime flights were in the A bucket, the BA/AA codeshares were in F bucket (A was available).
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Well, thanks to the advice from here I've booked it. Just for reference it was fare bucket G as predicted - myflights shows the fare basis as GLGBDPA, but interestingly there is still nothing on the eticket receipt that is obvious what the fare is based upon.

But MMB confirms a paltry 250 Avios and 10 Tier Points for the return flight which is as expected and the same as the "O" Fare class.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
Topcashback, whatever random fare class value you get, 2 Avios per £ on the total booking value and the actual cash saving had me happy enough though.
Indeed, it all adds up. The £20-odd topcashback I got for my most recent booking was something like a quarter of the total package price! Made it significantly cheaper than a flight only booking.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Indeed, it all adds up. The £20-odd topcashback I got for my most recent booking was something like a quarter of the total package price! Made it significantly cheaper than a flight only booking.
Ah yes, drat. I could have booked it as two separate bookings (as two of us were travelling) and got two lots of cashback. Next time....
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:47 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I need to be in Dubai next month and was looking at booking a WTP/hotel package via BA. I'm assuming from the above discussions that the flights will earn full WTP TPs and triple avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.