Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2017 dream - Avios for Lounge guest access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 dream - Avios for Lounge guest access?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Any changes to the rules be it guest passes, pay with Avios / cash ect that allows you to bring more people into the lounge would get the thumbs down from me. Can't comment on GF but Galleries North & South are now really becoming over crowded, one of the reasons why I usually head straight over to Galleries B.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by roarss
It perhaps having a quota available per day not to annoy the regulars/over populate.

.. )
You support a quota now but you won't when you get refused because thr quota has been used up that day!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GCH
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You support a quota now but you won't when you get refused because thr quota has been used up that day!
Hah that depends on the number of regular people, or bears!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
They could offer it at the time of booking - say in the same way that you can now part-pay with Avios - and limit it only to passengers on the same booking. That would largely address the crowding and peer pressure issues, and still offer a benefit for "Would I burn 30,000 getting 3 extended family members into GF to start a holiday off on the right foot, yes."
There is an experiment on at the moment where this is happening. BA customers with status who have booked together in one PNR and appear not to have full lounge access for all members in the group are getting telephone calls inviting them to take their party to either Galleries Club or Flounge. A note is then added to the PNR. Golds with good CIVs are (I think) being prioritised, and naturally they are only going to offer this when the lounges are less than full. The swings and roundabouts on lounge numbers is enormous, incidentally, CCR can vary from below 200 to over 1300 guests on two consecutive days.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We were given 5,000 Avios for the lack of lounge at FCO a couple of years ago so maybe 5K Avios is about right? To be fair, I'd rather split £50 between myself and the person I wanted to guest in as an extra which would be another suggestion of mine.

Might be worth noting that I travelled (as a gold) with two friends from Stockholm a few weeks ago I was delighted when the lounge angel said she could accept my Gold Amex to guest in my second guest for the princely sum of 5 Euros.... it was a nice enough lounge too! V happy with that!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by roarss
Yeah I hear & agree.

I spend most of my time in airport lounges alone, 'losing out' on guest access as such, then the when I wish to enjoy the experience with loved ones I can't because we're 1 too many for lounge rules & I default to life outside of the lounge.

It's a double edged sword, I get that. I recognise that the occasions I would most like to spend more time in a lounge, I can't & that frustrates.
What would be really nice is if you could 'bank' your visits when you don't guest someone in on a 2 for 1... so every two times you use the lounge solo you get 1 guest pass.. that would be fair!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
This whole thread seems to be based on the premise that waiting for a flight in the general terminal area is an unendurably terrible experience, but this is simply not so. Moreover, every time a new avenue to lounge access is created, the lounges become more zoo-like and less worth visiting: the whole concept requires some meaningful limit on numbers.

Besides surely BA does sell lounge access to anyone who wants it? It is called a business class ticket.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by CCayley
This whole thread seems to be based on the premise that waiting for a flight in the general terminal area is an unendurably terrible experience, but this is simply not so. Moreover, every time a new avenue to lounge access is created, the lounges become more zoo-like and less worth visiting: the whole concept requires some meaningful limit on numbers.

Besides surely BA does sell lounge access to anyone who wants it? It is called a business class ticket.
As flying Y, standing on train rides, use public transport instead of private cars...
Of course people can survive with less or small comfort. But I don't think it's the thread point
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Brown
Originally Posted by CaroFos
What would be really nice is if you could 'bank' your visits when you don't guest someone in on a 2 for 1... so every two times you use the lounge solo you get 1 guest pass.. that would be fair!
The prize for funniest post of the year could be won early this year.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It would appear that Emirates are going to be offering access to their lounges for a fee. The price has been mooted as $100 (J lounge) & $200 (F lounge) for 4 hours. I doubt it will be used often - but could be useful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ge-access.html
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've solved this issue. Last time I was travelling in a group where only half had access, I said we were going to nip to the loo.

Which happened to be in the Flounge of course.

Finished off the quickest full English ever recorded then legged it back to the group.

Nobody suspected a thing
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Fatpenguin
The prize for funniest post of the year could be won early this year.
Most of the time I travel by myself so don't have a guest. On two occassions under the old Meet Up system on here I guested 2 different people into the lounges. On the very rare occassion I travel with 2 others its frustrating not be able to guest someone additional.

This was mooted in a focus group that I partiipated in with BA managers at Waterside in the not too distant past.

Interestingly when flying through T5 this weekend I noticed a leaflet explaining the guest period, asking for people's understanding and pointing out various children's activity areas in the terminal.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Brown
I genuinely thought it was a joke post, can you imagine a GGL who flys on there own 2 or 3 three times a week walking up to the lounge with 20 guests and passes for the annual rugby/football/stag do!!!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Beansprout
I've solved this issue. Last time I was travelling in a group where only half had access, I said we were going to nip to the loo.

Which happened to be in the Flounge of course.

Finished off the quickest full English ever recorded then legged it back to the group.

Nobody suspected a thing
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
AFAIK avios.com sells lounge visits from 3750 avios, which seems reasonable to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.