Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by caburrito
If you're using UUA to go from WT+ to CW, how does BA calculate taxes/fees?
As a general rule: You pay the TFC that are payable for CW.

If you have already paid for the WT+ ticket, then when you UuA the correct TFC are calculated for the issue of a CW ticket that day, and you pay the difference.

There are complications if you have a multi-sector trip (eg EDI-LHR in economy, followed by LHR-JFK in WT+ that's then UuAd to CW). The TFC for the economy/WT+ combination are easy to calculate, but sometimes on a trip like this there is some difficulty in calculating the correct TFC for economy/CW because there are no valid commercial fares for that combination of cabins. My impression is that the way in which it's done is rather opaque, but the intention is probably to arrive at the same figure that the general rule dictates.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caburrito
If you're using UUA to go from WT+ to CW, how does BA calculate taxes/fees?
For the UuA would pay the difference between the taxes/fees/charges for WT+ to CW. It wil mostly be carrier surcharge for that kind of UuA.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes. Once you have done your upgrade with avios change your frequent flyer number in the booking to your aa account. Your should be able to do this on the finnair MMB site.
Royal Jordanian works as well. I've done exactly this on two upcoming flights upgraded with Avios.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As a general rule: You pay the TFC that are payable for CW.

If you have already paid for the WT+ ticket, then when you UuA the correct TFC are calculated for the issue of a CW ticket that day, and you pay the difference.

There are complications if you have a multi-sector trip (eg EDI-LHR in economy, followed by LHR-JFK in WT+ that's then UuAd to CW). The TFC for the economy/WT+ combination are easy to calculate, but sometimes on a trip like this there is some difficulty in calculating the correct TFC for economy/CW because there are no valid commercial fares for that combination of cabins. My impression is that the way in which it's done is rather opaque, but the intention is probably to arrive at the same figure that the general rule dictates.
It does seem rather opaque and can take a bit of time. I'll recount the results of two recent experiences as samples (but not necessarily as rules for what to expect in all occasions.

These were BA vacations packages on top of it, but they seemed able to quickly dispense with the hotel portion for the calculations.

The trips were SJC-LHR-FCO and SJC-LHR-OSL, both booked in WT+.

When moving WT+ -> CW using Avios, the results I got in both cases was a fairly substantial (several hundred dollars as this was booked in US) if I upgraded all segments. However, if I upgraded only the longhaul (the important part, to be sure), the taxes did not increase. In fact, in one case they went down a few bucks. And it was, of course, fewer Avios.

Can't explain why (neither could they- but that's what the calculations told them), nor say that this is a rule, but there you have two examples.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by brp
It does seem rather opaque and can take a bit of time. I'll recount the results of two recent experiences as samples (but not necessarily as rules for what to expect in all occasions.

These were BA vacations packages on top of it, but they seemed able to quickly dispense with the hotel portion for the calculations.

The trips were SJC-LHR-FCO and SJC-LHR-OSL, both booked in WT+.

When moving WT+ -> CW using Avios, the results I got in both cases was a fairly substantial (several hundred dollars as this was booked in US) if I upgraded all segments. However, if I upgraded only the longhaul (the important part, to be sure), the taxes did not increase. In fact, in one case they went down a few bucks. And it was, of course, fewer Avios.

Can't explain why (neither could they- but that's what the calculations told them), nor say that this is a rule, but there you have two examples.

Cheers.
Currency movements perhaps between when you originally booked and when the change was made?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
Currency movements perhaps between when you originally booked and when the change was made?
In these cases I did the changes within maybe 1 hour as I booked and called when I saw the upgrade availability. Currency markets are volatile, so that could explain the small reduction in the one case, but the "stayed pretty much the same" part not so much. And that was the surprising facet to me.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Since American doesn't have good availability of rewards seats to use with Avios, what is the best use for them now for someone in the Southwest US?
Bump.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:52 am

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area, but I need some advice.

I booked 3 coach award tickets on Aer Lingus using Avios for MIA-AMS in July 2018. Originally, there was a 3 hour layover in DUB. It now appears that Aer Lingus has revised their schedule, and there's no connection from DUB to AMS after our plane arrives in DUB from MIA. Even though this change in schedule occurred a few weeks ago, no one has contacted us, and our original flights and times are still showing on the Executive Club website. I assume Aer Linus finalized their summer schedule, and our original connecting flight is now gone, but I'm not 100% sure it won't be added back into the schedule.

We don't want to have a 19 hour layover in Dublin and have to spend a night there before continuing on to AMS. Should we contact BA and see if they'll change the flights? I'm willing to pay the extra fees to fly BA from MIA-LHR-AMS if I absolutely have to, but it totals about $500 so I'd like to avoid this. I would also like to avoid paying any $55 change fees. Conversely, if indeed Aer Lingus is not an option, I'd like to switch to BA while there is still availability for award seats (which there currently is).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canes98
I booked 3 coach award tickets on Aer Lingus using Avios for MIA-AMS in July 2018. Originally, there was a 3 hour layover in DUB. It now appears that Aer Lingus has revised their schedule, and there's no connection from DUB to AMS after our plane arrives in DUB from MIA. Even though this change in schedule occurred a few weeks ago, no one has contacted us, and our original flights and times are still showing on the Executive Club website. I assume Aer Linus finalized their summer schedule, and our original connecting flight is now gone, but I'm not 100% sure it won't be added back into the schedule.
Which date is this for? Are you departing MIA on a Friday evening? I can see an oddity in the published connections MIA-DUB-AMS on Friday evenings, but the onward DUB-AMS flight (EI608) is still there if you search for that sector alone. I'm not sure what's happened there, but it would be interesting to know whether this is the issue that's affecting you.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:42 pm

Which date is this for? Are you departing MIA on a Friday evening? I can see an oddity in the published connections MIA-DUB-AMS on Friday evenings, but the onward DUB-AMS flight (EI608) is still there if you search for that sector alone. I'm not sure what's happened there, but it would be interesting to know whether this is the issue that's affecting you.
Good research. This is the issue that is affecting me. We are departing MIA on a Friday evening (13 July 2018). Any advice on how to handle this? Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canes98
Good research. This is the issue that is affecting me. We are departing MIA on a Friday evening (13 July 2018). Any advice on how to handle this?
I've not had personal experience of this before, but personally I would just leave it for the moment. EI608 isn't even the last DUB-AMS of the day. My guess is that this will get sorted out, and even if it doesn't, then maybe the thing to do would be to call about three months before the flight and sort out what is going on.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:06 pm

I've not had personal experience of this before, but personally I would just leave it for the moment. EI608 isn't even the last DUB-AMS of the day. My guess is that this will get sorted out, and even if it doesn't, then maybe the thing to do would be to call about three months before the flight and sort out what is going on.
Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Flown first leg of Reward flight change return

hi asking for your knowledge. I have flown the first leg of a Reward flight and may want to return a day earlier what options do I have can I change to a day earlier and what are the cost implications or would I be better to drop the original and get a one way Reward flight. Thoughts on a post card please 🙂
thanks in advance
John
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thejohn
I have flown the first leg of a Reward flight and may want to return a day earlier what options do I have can I change to a day earlier and what are the cost implications or would I be better to drop the original and get a one way Reward flight.
Strictly speaking, the BAEC T&C say no more changes once you are beyond 24 hours before the first flight of the award itinerary. However, there are a lot of posts here that say that BAEC practice appears to be to allow changes to subsequent flights as long as you make them more than 24 hours before the time of the flight that you want to change. So there will be no harm in phoning to ask. There will be a change fee of £35.00 per person - but "cancel and rebook" is not a better option because you will get no Avios refund if you cancel at this point.

There must, of course, be Avios availability on the flight you want to change to, and the change must be allowable within BAEC rules (same zone).

And this is one reason why it is sometimes advantageous to book two one-ways rather than one round-trip ticket.
rossmacd and thejohn like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Thanks for the insight yes there is availablity in both classes so as I’m not sure if I can get home earlier I will hold off for now.
John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.