Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've tried to take advantage of that glitch twice, the first time it went through but I got a call a few days later asking for the additional Avios (or to cancel the booking), the second time it never got ticketed.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Quick clarification... I'd like to book HNL-ANC w/ Avios. This is an Alaska Airlines flight. Since it's a two cabin plane, it should be 12,500 avios for coach and 25,000 for first, right? THANKS!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:17 am

Newbie-ish to BA Avios.

I'm very used to booking BA TATL flights via AA miles. My preference is AA flights, but with limited availability, I sometimes have to choose BA and pay the expensive TATL fuel-surcharge fees.

If I book a BA flight TATL using Avios, do I still have to pay the fees? Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Newbie-ish to BA Avios.

I'm very used to booking BA TATL flights via AA miles. My preference is AA flights, but with limited availability, I sometimes have to choose BA and pay the expensive TATL fuel-surcharge fees.

If I book a BA flight TATL using Avios, do I still have to pay the fees? Thanks
Yes you do. If you need to see how much try doing a dummy reward booking and see how much the taxes/fees/charges are for the route you are looking at.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Quick clarification... I'd like to book HNL-ANC w/ Avios. This is an Alaska Airlines flight. Since it's a two cabin plane, it should be 12,500 avios for coach and 25,000 for first, right? THANKS!
Sadly at band 4 the J multiplier increases to 3x so 37,500 for J and 50,000 for F
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ENTP
Sadly at band 4 the J multiplier increases to 3x so 37,500 for J and 50,000 for F
Good to know, but if there is no J... two cabin aircraft... it would be 37,500, not 50,000, right? Or wrong?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Good to know, but if there is no J... two cabin aircraft... it would be 37,500, not 50,000, right? Or wrong?
The number of cabins is irrelevant. If AS markets and codes the front cabin as F, then the trip will cost 50,000 Avios.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:47 pm

Looking to book US to Manchester or Glasgow early next June - one way in C, 4 tickets. I was all set to book IAH - MAN on Singapore but with the current Avios MR transfer bonus I'd love to be able to use Avios instead. Is there anywhere else I should be looking to avoid the BA fees? I've checked, as best as I can, AA, EI, IB and AB from tons of US airports and nada. Am I missing something or are 4 C tickets are not just going to happen?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by UKOK
Looking to book US to Manchester or Glasgow early next June - one way in C, 4 tickets. I was all set to book IAH - MAN on Singapore but with the current Avios MR transfer bonus I'd love to be able to use Avios instead. Is there anywhere else I should be looking to avoid the BA fees? I've checked, as best as I can, AA, EI, IB and AB from tons of US airports and nada. Am I missing something or are 4 C tickets are not just going to happen?
Not a complete answer but be aware that EI flights won't appear on ba.com. You can search for them on avios.com but it may be better to phone BAEC for lower fees. That said I can't see much but there are a few days with 5J seats YYZ-DUB.

You might also have some luck with IB (booked through IB+) from further south (MEX, SDQ, SJU) but that's rather round-about.

Last edited by pauldb; Jul 18, 2017 at 3:34 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:46 pm

Newbie to Avios booking. Tried to book a round trip between Taiwan and Japan (Narita) as two one-way tickets (due to different departure and returning cities in Taiwan). Found business availability online and walked all the way through the booking process (including entering credit card info). The system came back with a failure to book and to call local BA office message. Attempted to do it again on a different flight and with a different credit card -- same unfortunate result. Was ba.com showing me phantom seats or did I miss any thing? Please advise. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:14 am

Morning

Am incredibly new to using Avios for reward reward Flights, so am sure this has been answered

We have booked flights from London to Frankfurt in November using Avios with selling Class U.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

1) do these flights count towards tier points
2) do we earn Avios for the flights. And if so, what fare class should I be looking at for calculating them?

Sorry again if this has no doubt be answered countless times.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saeagle
Morning

Am incredibly new to using Avios for reward reward Flights, so am sure this has been answered

We have booked flights from London to Frankfurt in November using Avios with selling Class U.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

1) do these flights count towards tier points
2) do we earn Avios for the flights. And if so, what fare class should I be looking at for calculating them?

Sorry again if this has no doubt be answered countless times.
Hi Saeagle. Reward flights don't earn any avios or TPs.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by PTFlyer
Newbie to Avios booking. Tried to book a round trip between Taiwan and Japan (Narita) as two one-way tickets (due to different departure and returning cities in Taiwan). Found business availability online and walked all the way through the booking process (including entering credit card info). The system came back with a failure to book and to call local BA office message. Attempted to do it again on a different flight and with a different credit card -- same unfortunate result. Was ba.com showing me phantom seats or did I miss any thing? Please advise. Thanks!
This does sound like phantom availability. Try calling up though.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Hi Saeagle. Reward flights don't earn any avios or TPs.
Thanks for the clarification Karfa.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:57 am

Hi, can anyone with experience booking award around holiday enlighten me? I was looking for an award ticket Y/J does not matter around the date for first week of January 2018, particularly BA16 SYD-SIN, but I could not find any seats available, there are also no seats on QF, while I can see a lot of seats out side this period.

Is this period considered a blackout period that I should not hope for any space opening up anytime soon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.