Wiki Posts
Search

How long to receive compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
How long to receive compensation?

On July 25 I was supposed to fly biz on BA 292 IAD-LHR that was cancelled due to mechanical and forced to overnight in IAD. This was an American Airlines ticket on BA metal. I was reaccomodated the next day onto a delta airlines flight from IAD-JFK-ATH (ath being my final destination). On 26 July I submitted a compensation request for the hotel and Uber’s and received a confirmation email. Since then I’ve heard nothing.

How long does this process normally take? Also am I entitled to anything beyond the basic hotel and Uber fares under EU regulations?

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by nikbruno
On July 25 I was supposed to fly biz on BA 292 IAD-LHR that was cancelled due to mechanical and forced to overnight in IAD. This was an American Airlines ticket on BA metal. I was reaccomodated the next day onto a delta airlines flight from IAD-JFK-ATH (ath being my final destination). On 26 July I submitted a compensation request for the hotel and Uber’s and received a confirmation email. Since then I’ve heard nothing.

How long does this process normally take? Also am I entitled to anything beyond the basic hotel and Uber fares under EU regulations?

Thanks

Since it was a mechanical event, >4 hr delay in arriving at your final destination and you were on BA metal, I believe you should also receive 600 euro in addition to the duty-to-care provisions (hotel, meals, uber ride).

Edit: this Wikipedia article gives a good highlight of the relevant regulations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight...ation_261/2004

TLDR:
Applicability:This regualtion applies to all EU based airlines traveling to or from EU member state. Otherwise applies to all airlines where the flight originates in a EU member state.
  • In your case, since you were on BA metal originating in the US the regulation applies (at least until Brexit happens). If you had been on AA metal there would be no required protections, but generally for mechanicals the USA airlines will make good will gestures and provide lodging.
Benefits: If for any reason you are delayed >4 hrs (exact time depends on flight distance; but for sake of simplicity we'll cover the case for TATL flight), they must provide refreshments and make every effort to get you on the next available flight to your destination. If the delay results in an overnight stay, they must cover lodging and travel between lodging/airport, in addition to meals. There is some other coverages regarding rerouting you, refunding part of the ticket, and flying in a different class of service, but generally that is if you are abandoning your trip. If the delay is not due to extraordinary circumstances, so something in the airlines control, which mechanical failures are, they must also provide 600 euro cash compensation.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Aug 6, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Thank you! Now just to see how long this all takes. Does calling make any difference ?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:27 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nikbruno
Thank you! Now just to see how long this all takes. Does calling make any difference ?
I think it takes up to 6 weeks. A lot depends on your status with BA. As pointed out above, make sure you claim the €600 as well. BA should have arranged a hotel and transport.
jakejohnson likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: None
I think it'd only take just 4-5 weeks. Just be sure to claim the cash compensation buddy.

Last edited by jakejohnson; Aug 7, 2018 at 4:03 am Reason: inputted wrong number of weeks.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:45 am

It took me six weeks
jakejohnson likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is entitled to both a duty of care (hotel & meals) as well as compensation of EUR 600 (approx. US $730). This is all handled by BA through an online portal (link at the end of this post). I am surprised that BA did not issue a voucher for one of the local IAD hotels with an included shuttle. But, if you were refused, it will generally reimburse up to $250 + reasonable meals (with receipts) and local transport if the airport properties were not available.

I would start from scratch and recognize that it may take time during high season and without BA status. However, where the claim is quite clear, e.g. cancellation for mechanical and rebooking with an overnight, you may be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...plaints/1/1001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.