Wiki Posts
Search

eTA and British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

eTA and British Airways

Hi

I need help...I am UK citizen.I am flying code share..London to Tampa with BA.My return flight is American Airlines Via Toronto to London with BA.My question..Do i need an eTA ? The Canadian Gov website says No..not till 29 th September .. I fly back 14 th September.Even though BA only fly me to Tampa USA direct from UK..i have valid Esta that i traveled on in Feb..Will BA refuse me boarding without the eTA ..Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA in Toronto won't deny you boarding, as you are a UK citizen.

BA in the UK will allow you boarding with a valid US ESTA.

Your concern should be whether AA will allow you to board in Miami going to Toronto without an eTA. The Canadian government says that they will be lenient until 29 September: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...ic.asp?st=16.7

Given it's very cheap to get and lasts a long time, in your situation I would be inclined to get the eTA to avoid having to explain yourself.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:05 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Soixante, welcome to FT.

As I understand it from your post you are transiting Canada. An eTA is required to transit or enter Canada from 29th September only - on your date of travel all you need are the appropriate documents (essentially your flight ticket and passport).

You will actually have to show these to AA - they are the ones who are transporting you to Canada. You will be leaving by the time you reach a BA plane, so they won't particularly care by that point!

From 29th September onwards, if you do this again, then you will need to apply for an eTA.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply...i heard even though no eTA was needed till 29 September BA were refusing boarding still without one..I just want clarification.My flight leaves Tuesday 21 June and i havent applied for the eTA as i belived i did not need.I would normmaly fly direct USA to UK but this way saved me a good amount of money..Thank you
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Soixante
Thanks for the reply...i heard even though no eTA was needed till 29 September BA were refusing boarding still without one..I just want clarification.My flight leaves Tuesday 21 June and i havent applied for the eTA as i belived i did not need.I would normmaly fly direct USA to UK but this way saved me a good amount of money..Thank you
I sit on the side of 'better safe than sorry' - just apply for the eTA and be done with it. It's all of $7 and lasts 5 years.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Soixante
As flatlander has said far more succinctly than me, you are actually on an AA plane from the USA to Canada, so you need to know what AA's policy is.

If for some obscure reason you are rejected at the Canadian border (which, given the policy, you won't be), you would simply be returned back to the US and AA would have to take the hit of doing that. BA would have no part in the decision because all they are doing is transporting a British Citizen from Canada to the UK, where obviously they will have the automatic right of entry.

Having said all that, if you're nervous about this I concur with the advice given about just spending the CAD$7 and being done with it.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you.I will apply for the eTA.I wish now i had applied earlier..Like anyone else i guess we dont want to spend money on things we dont need..I got anxious as someone was stating BA refused them boarding on a flight from UK to Canada,even though like you have stated this document is not needed till 29 Th September.Thanks again for the help
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Hmmm. The Canadian government had said they're delaying the implementation of the eTA. That means to me that you don't need one.

Get one if you might use it in the future but in your situation, I wouldn't bother.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The eTA thing has been a kerfuffle from start to finish. The problem with applying so close to travel is if you get refused then there were instances of CBSA refusing entry even though one technically wasn't required.

You need to check with AA. BA won't give 2 hoots as long as your ESTA is valid and you present yourself to check-in in Toronto.

I think in your shoes, if there was a chance of refusal, I wouldn't bother unless AA states definitively that you need one.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The eTA thing has been a kerfuffle from start to finish. The problem with applying so close to travel is if you get refused then there were instances of CBSA refusing entry even though one technically wasn't required.

You need to check with AA. BA won't give 2 hoots as long as your ESTA is valid and you present yourself to check-in in Toronto.

I think in your shoes, if there was a chance of refusal, I wouldn't bother unless AA states definitively that you need one.
While I get the attitude of 'if it's not actually required - don't bother' - my take on this is:

It's CAD$7 - not $50.

There's a risk - however small - of getting an officious gate/check in agent who doesn't know the rules and might argue the point. You *should* be able to cover that - e.g. get a supervisor ... point them to the right place ... etc.

On the other hand - you get it and the risk goes away and you don't have to fight. Even if they think you need an eTA - you'll have one. And you're down CAD$7.

Sounds like good value hassle insurance.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Blue
You should actually have an eTA now, even though this will not be enforced until 29 September. I one has time then they should really obtain an eTA before travel.

This is from the Canadian website quoted above (my bold):
Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:02 am

Soixante, if your budget definitely cannot stand spending C$7 more, I have to ask why you are travelling, you have not enough money for contingenices.

If you just don't want to spend C$7 out of choice, you can try without the eTA if not spending C$7 is very important to you. In that case there isn't a lot more to discuss as you have made your choice.

The language in the Canadian government website implies that travellers without an eTA may face extra scrutiny. You also risk airport staff not knowing about the leniency period or interpreting it that you should not be allowed to board. That is why I advise getting the eTA.

If you prefer to risk the extra scrutiny by airport and then Canadian government staff to save C$7 and a little time, then that is up to you and there is still not much more to discuss.

If you fear a long processing time then you can apply now with information that your request is urgent [1]. If you do not get a reply in time, then you can hope to rely on the leniency period in combination with having applied beforehand. The Canadian government does say the usual response time is fast. Unless there are some features about you that make you subject to extra scrutiny, a British citizen in transit from USA to UK should not have problems getting an eTA.

[1] http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1049&top=16
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat
The downside of applying would be if you get a refusal for a document that you did not need. With the refusal you would be screwed.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by bruceba
The downside of applying would be if you get a refusal for a document that you did not need. With the refusal you would be screwed.
Which was he point I was making....badly
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:28 am

One could, perhaps, try to enter Canada during the leniency period even if refused an eTA. The website notes that one can apply even if one has been refused entry to Canada in the past, so they don't appear to operate a one-strike-and-you're-out setup.

If one fears refusal of eTA, one has to guess: is it more likely that one will be refused the eTA, or that one will be refused boarding in the USA or entry to Canada without the eTA?

That is not something I can guess. If one feels one is so suspicious to the Canadians that the eTA refusal is a meaningful possibility, how is one going to appear less suspicious in person? Hoping for a dozy Canadian immigration official to fail to notice something significant is not something to rely on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.