Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Great, thank you
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi guys

quick question re SDC. I’m booked on an afternoon flight to GLA this Thursday and would now like to fly in the morning, from the same airport. Can I call or use the website to make a change early on Thursday morning? There is availability on the flight I want (currently costing £185 to change if I do it in advance) so I assume with SDC the change will be free? Thanks!!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Provided you have a point to point 'plus' ticket, i not hand baggage only and the ticket is not a leg ofva multi segment flight then you should be able to change..

I theory you should be able to do it online on the day of your fĺight (on the day, not 24 hours before). Others experience varies but i usually get a 'this ticket cannit be changed online' message and end up having to call
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Provided you have a point to point 'plus' ticket, i not hand baggage only and the ticket is not a leg ofva multi segment flight then you should be able to change..

I theory you should be able to do it online on thecday of your fĺight (on the day, not 24 hours before). Others experience varies but i usually get a 'this ticket cannit be changed online' message and end up having to call
thanks! It’s a straightforward LON-GLA in CE. I have a baby which is the only possible fly in the ointment - hopefully that won’t scupper it?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by albpenny

thanks! It’s a straightforward LON-GLA in CE. I have a baby which is the only possible fly in the ointment - hopefully that won’t scupper it?
The baby isn't an issue in CE. In ET it very occasionally can be on a full aircraft due to the layout of oxygen masks. This can be sorted out, but it's a complication.

The LON-GLA can't be an Avios redemption for Same Day Change, but as far as I can tell all revenue point to point CE tickets to GLA have SDC. You can't switch airport at the London end either.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The baby isn't an issue in CE. In ET it very occasionally can be on a full aircraft due to the layout of oxygen masks. This can be sorted out, but it's a complication.

The LON-GLA can't be an Avios redemption for Same Day Change, but as far as I can tell all revenue point to point CE tickets to GLA have SDC. You can't switch airport at the London end either.
thank you so much cws! Will leave it till Thursday then and hope for the best. Will update then as to whether it was successful and also whether I could do it online 😃
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
I have an exiting booking BRU-LHR-EDI which I am pretty sure was booked as an Economy Plus ticket. This is for Monday 15 July 2019.

I have just waited for 0100 European time (midnight GMT) to change the LHR-EDI leg from the 2005 departure to the 1830 (BRU lands at 1655) but see that the change fee is EUR137 even when clicking through (gives me payment page).

Given that the next day, Tuesday, I am on the early EDI-LGW, I would rather move my Monday evening LHR flight to an earlier one so I have some time at home. Otherwise, I might as well stay down south overnight.

What am am I doing wrong? How can I check I have an economy plus ticket (which I was 90% sure I had)?

Last edited by Nagolnagol; Jul 14, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nagolnagol
I have an exiting booking BRU-LHR-EDI which I am pretty sure was booked as an Economy Plus ticket.
Same day change is only available on point to point tickets. You appear to have a ticket with aaconnection do same day change will not be available to you
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Same day change is only available on point to point tickets. You appear to have a ticket with aaconnection do same day change will not be available to you
Thanks for the reply

Right, that’s pretty rubbish then! Shame one can’t move the second flight of a connecting ticket, especially that of a frequent domestic leg. Don’t understand why BA can’t offer this, when all I am doing is changing an LHR-EDI leg which I do all the time (granted usually on a point-to-point ticket, as you say).
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:09 pm

On a connecting ticket, sometimes when i get to Heathrow I have asked at the transfer desk and been able to change to an earlier flight for £60.

I can understand why BA do not believe those on connecting flights require the same level of flexibility as those on point to point tickets. If I agree with their view or not is another matter.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jul 15, 2019 at 1:14 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
If I buy a flight LHR-BCN on IB website (IB Code, BA operated) selecting the plus option, can I make a same day change?

IB offer the flight for 50£ less
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pvgman
If I buy a flight LHR-BCN on IB website (IB Code, BA operated) selecting the plus option, can I make a same day change?

IB offer the flight for 50£ less
No, unfortunately it's BA plating, BA metal only.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nagolnagol
I have an exiting booking BRU-LHR-EDI which I am pretty sure was booked as an Economy Plus ticket.
The only way around this is to buy 2 separate tickets. Which means you may not be saving much on the 137€ since the domestic fare add-on for a single ticket in this circumstance could be as little as 13€ or so.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
I booked LHR-DUB return and on the flight selection/summary screen I'm sure it said it was a "Plus" fare... but after paying and getting my ereceipt I don't see any reference to it being plus.

Is there some other way for me to verify it's booked as a plus fare?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Though I don't have a booking to check on right now, from memory if you go into MMB and open the "Change my booking" option for one of the legs, you'll see a mention of the free same day change in there if on an eligible fare (this text is mostly present nowadays, it used to be much more hit and miss!).

The baggage allowance sub-menu in either leg will also show (or should) if you are on an HBO fare quite prominently - if it is saying you have no baggage allowance there, it's likely you are on an HBO fare (but again, I've had cases where this is shown erroneously, though not often). The baggage allowance is also shown on your e-ticket receipt email - an HBO ticket will show "No Allowance" under the "Checked Baggage" section.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.