Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Is there anyone that have either POUGd one leg or both legs to CE? If you POUG one leg, will that change the flexibility on the return? Trying to find info online, but for some reason can't...
If only the o/b is upgraded POU or otherwise the i/b flight would still have free change on the day.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Anonba
If only the o/b is upgraded POU or otherwise the i/b flight would still have free change on the day.
Excellent info. Really appreciate it... Many thanks Anonba!!!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Am I right in thinking that if you're booked on the 2pm flight, you must make the change before 1pm otherwise you will no longer be able to do a same-day free change of the ticket; and that if you don't make the change and you no-show for the 2pm flight, then your ticket is (according to the rules) valueless in the usual way (ie no-show is treated as cancellation after departure, with no refund)?
Yes a NOSHOW remains a NOSHOW and the change can only be done upto 1 hour before.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Am I right in thinking that if you're booked on the 2pm flight, you must make the change before 1pm otherwise you will no longer be able to do a same-day free change of the ticket; and that if you don't make the change and you no-show for the 2pm flight, then your ticket is (according to the rules) valueless in the usual way (ie no-show is treated as cancellation after departure, with no refund)?
yes, a no show is a no show

and if you are booked on the 2pm and try to change to a 7pm flight at 1 in the morning coz you had no intention flying on the 2pm and there are no seats available you are kind of hosed!
Old May 7, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Does this work for business class fares? I've got a LHR - MAD flight this week and I wouldn't mind getting in earlier.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matd
Does this work for business class fares? I've got a LHR - MAD flight this week and I wouldn't mind getting in earlier.
No it doesn't, though there were some CE tickets sold a few weeks back which suggested there was a same day facility, which was perhaps a glitch. Some CE fares are fully flexible, however, but the cheaper ones are not and/or have a change fee.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Drat. My naive assumption is that a business class fare can do just about anything that full economy can do.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:03 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Does anyone know how an avios ticket is treated with respect to the same day change? I am booked into Y.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:18 pm

No chance.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
does anyone know about a 'D' fare in CE? part of a VS ticket connecting from DUB through LHR (overnight) to MIA

i need to be in DUB before the flight but didn't know until when so booked a 7:45p flight to LHR but now could possibly leave earlier, can i same-day change to an earlier flight without change fees (if there's room in CE, of course; my VS legs are Z so expensive changes/non-refundable)?

also, what are the same-day change fees for CE avios bookings? is this possible? thanks in advance for any help, generally a skyteam flyer so not too familiar w/ BA
Old May 14, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
CE fares don't have free changes on the day (well, at least LHR fares). Nor do any fares that involve connections on BA let alone a VS fare.

Avios bookings are non flexible starting 24 hours before departure.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Would I be able to get on an earlier flight MUC-LHR flying business booked with Avios? Looks like U class. I couldn't quite tell from the BA website. Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by LGACIC
Would I be able to get on an earlier flight MUC-LHR flying business booked with Avios? Looks like U class. I couldn't quite tell from the BA website. Thanks!
Hi avios bookings need to be changed 24 hours prior to departure and you would pay a £35 per person amendment fee to do this.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LGACIC
No. Same Day Change only exists in CE in a few revenue areas (UK Domestic and LGW CE, the latter isn't so useful since there are very few CE destinations from LGW with multiple services). Avios bookings are in any case totally inflexible at T-24. The ladies in MUC may agree to you going on a previous flight, but they may well say no too, so you'll end up eating all the biscuits in the lounge instead. If you are more than 24 hours from the earlier flight, and there is availability, then you can move yourself - it should work online - but there may be a change fee for that.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

do these flights need to be booked with BA directly or it work if booked via Amex Travel, Expedia etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.