Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: alp67
Wiki Link
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 30, 18, 4:31 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,562
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
So I have another question on same-day changes for free. I appreciate it may not be answerable.

Is every non-HBO fare a plus fare? Basically, I book all of my work flights through our corporate TA portal and am usually faced with 3 options; HBO, Plus and our corporate negotiated fare which permits a bag.

I've never been refused a same-day change for free so I am assuming that our corporate fare is effectively also a plus fare - does that seem sensible??
I would say in theory yes if it is a shorthaul baggage fare it should have free change on the day, but i have known deal/bulk tickets have different rules and/or further restrictions. However the differences ive seen werent to do with free change on the day.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Anonba is offline  
Old Mar 30, 18, 4:56 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gibraltar/UK
Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Posts: 1,252
Have tried twice for SDC ..one ex CPH in Y and one ex FRA in I. BA not able to accommodate in both requests...citing full cabins on the next flight. Yes I was ex EU and trying to return to UK on earlier flight. Still they did try...I think!!
nivsy is offline  
Old Mar 30, 18, 5:13 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold
Posts: 62
If you do a SDC and the booking class changes do you get the higher (or lower) TP of the new class - or does SDC always rebook you into the same fare bucket?
antuk is offline  
Old Mar 30, 18, 5:16 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,223
Originally Posted by antuk View Post
If you do a SDC and the booking class changes do you get the higher (or lower) TP of the new class - or does SDC always rebook you into the same fare bucket?
IME you get the same TP as per original booking class.

In the similar circumstance of IRROP forced rebooking into same cabin I've had the higher TP awarded, but not sure if that always happens.
EsherFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 30, 18, 11:54 pm
  #95  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,317
Just a note in here for anyone doing an SDC airside in LHR T5 to domestic destinations or DUB. Before making any change take a copy of your App boarding pass for the original flight (Screen Save / Shot will do), or retain at least the barcode section of the original boarding pass. This is because SDC airside won't reliably transfer the biometrics to the new booking. However if you retain the original barcode you should then approach the gate of the new service about 30 minutes before departure, before boarding has started, explain that you think the biometrics are on the wrong boarding pass and invite the gate agent to check it is OK. It's far easier to do this than during main boarding and the agents will be grateful for your foresight. The agent will then read the biometrics on the old boarding pass, transfer the data to the new service and clear your boarding. It only takes a few seconds to sort out, so long as it is expected.

If you do the SDC landside, or your destination is outside the UK / Dublin, then the above does not apply.

In theory the same applies at LGW and Manchester since they too use biometrics, but I don't have any specific information on that.
ExpatExp likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Mar 31, 18, 7:28 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Munich
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 14
On this subject...

Does anyone one have any experience of plus fares on connecting flights?? Flying my parents NCL-LHR-MUC, would I be able to change them to earlier flights on the day if it suits??

Thanks again!
Trent900Powered is offline  
Old Mar 31, 18, 7:54 am
  #97  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,792
Originally Posted by Trent900Powered View Post
On this subject...

Does anyone one have any experience of plus fares on connecting flights?? Flying my parents NCL-LHR-MUC, would I be able to change them to earlier flights on the day if it suits??

Thanks again!
plus fares, and indeed basic fares, are not offered for connecting flights

EDIT: to add you are offered “economy plus” only as the economy option and I do not believe this includes SDC
KARFA is online now  
Old Mar 31, 18, 7:59 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Munich
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


plus fares, and indeed basic fares, are not offered for connecting flights

EDIT: to add you are offered “economy plus” only as the economy option and I do not believe this includes SDC
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Trent900Powered is offline  
Old Apr 12, 18, 11:26 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: BA silver
Posts: 38
quick comment on our experience this morning using SDC at DUB, in both the App & ba.com, it offered free SDC as expected to other BA operated LHR flights today, *but* only for my wife and not me, despite selecting both of us in the earlier step. A very quick call to BAEC silver line had us both changed to the earlier flight; and as a bonus, when we checked in through the app, it allocated us exit row seats
rockflyertalk likes this.
paul71 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 4:38 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Avis Preferred, Hilton Honors Silver
Posts: 32
I'm looking at positioning back from AMS on a plus fare (after a AMS-BKK INCEU60). Ideally I'd like to fly AMS-LHR mid-afternoon, but the cheapest flights are late evening. If I book the late evening flights is there a high chance there will be availability to same day change to an earlier flight? It's a Monday afternoon, if that makes any difference.
jimbobjamest is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:25 am
  #101  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,317
Originally Posted by jimbobjamest View Post
I'm looking at positioning back from AMS on a plus fare (after a AMS-BKK INCEU60). Ideally I'd like to fly AMS-LHR mid-afternoon, but the cheapest flights are late evening. If I book the late evening flights is there a high chance there will be availability to same day change to an earlier flight? It's a Monday afternoon, if that makes any difference.
Generally yes, but of course that's entirely dependent on how things go so we are into crystal ball territory. One cancelled flight (even on KLM) could block out all seats. So the best way to handle this is to go for a flght that could surely make but no totally rely on SDC to help you out, it would just be a bonus.
jimbobjamest likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:41 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Avis Preferred, Hilton Honors Silver
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Generally yes, but of course that's entirely dependent on how things go so we are into crystal ball territory. One cancelled flight (even on KLM) could block out all seats. So the best way to handle this is to go for a flght that could surely make but no totally rely on SDC to help you out, it would just be a bonus.
Thanks CWS. It wouldn't be a disaster to waste 9 hours in Amsterdam but, as you say, getting an earlier flight would be a bonus - especially after a red-eye back from HKG via LHR!
jimbobjamest is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:44 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,223
Originally Posted by jimbobjamest View Post
I'm looking at positioning back from AMS on a plus fare (after a AMS-BKK INCEU60). Ideally I'd like to fly AMS-LHR mid-afternoon, but the cheapest flights are late evening. If I book the late evening flights is there a high chance there will be availability to same day change to an earlier flight? It's a Monday afternoon, if that makes any difference.
AMS can be busy of course. Looking at today's flights on Expert Flyer they are all zeroed out in J and Y, which matches what BA.com is showing. Next Mon is also very busy, except with Y9 / Y3 / Y1 on the 14h55 / 16h10 / 17h55 flights respectively which might suit what you have in mind for another Monday, but is likely to be different by the time Monday afternoon comes of course..
jimbobjamest likes this.
EsherFlyer is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 6:35 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Avis Preferred, Hilton Honors Silver
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer View Post
AMS can be busy of course. Looking at today's flights on Expert Flyer they are all zeroed out in J and Y, which matches what BA.com is showing. Next Mon is also very busy, except with Y9 / Y3 / Y1 on the 14h55 / 16h10 / 17h55 flights respectively which might suit what you have in mind for another Monday, but is likely to be different by the time Monday afternoon comes of course..
That's interesting, I'm surprised they're so full considering the competition on that route! I don't suppose you're able to look at the club loads? or loads to LGW? - I would assume this has more availability
jimbobjamest is offline  
Old Apr 13, 18, 7:03 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,223
Originally Posted by jimbobjamest View Post
That's interesting, I'm surprised they're so full considering the competition on that route! I don't suppose you're able to look at the club loads? or loads to LGW? - I would assume this has more availability
J is a bit more open on earlier flights on Mon, but not opening up any flights that have no Y in the afternoon. A smattering of J1 / J2 (even if available) on a few isn't something I'd bet on against the Ys already mentioned anyway.

LGW only has 10h55, 14h35, 19h30 flights. 14h35 has some Y and J, but not notably more than the LHR options.

LCY has nothing in J or Y except J2 on the last flight of the day.
EsherFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: