FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Any impact of UK-Spain flights during the French ATC strike this week? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1769250-any-impact-uk-spain-flights-during-french-atc-strike-week.html)

bmi goldenboy May 31, 2016 6:33 am

Any impact of UK-Spain flights during the French ATC strike this week?

Is anyone aware if there is likely to be any impact on ex-LON flights to MAD this weeks during the French ATC strike?

I'm positioning there on Thursday morning to catch a late afternoon flight back to LHR as the first leg :eek:

Not certain if I should cancel the award flight to MAD and rebook one for tomorrow instead so at least I'm there :confused:. Any advice very welcome :)

A P Yu May 31, 2016 6:37 am

Hard to predict with certainty. But last Thursday (strike day) I flew to BCN. Two LHR flights were cancelled. My LGW flight had to fly round France and it took 3 hours plus to each there (via Lands End, Out over Atlantic and down etc.)

ThatT1Feeling May 31, 2016 7:02 am

Yes there certainly can be impacts.

My most recent MAD flight was cancelled and the flight I did take probably took 30-40 minutes extra flying time.

It's not predictable and so it might well be worthwhile giving yourself enough leeway to cope with a cancellation and extra flying time. If this means an overnight to be sure, then I would recommend doing this. The situation in France shows no signs of an early resolution.

gustavmahler May 31, 2016 7:37 am

Yesp - same happened to me in June 2014. Big delay in flight departing LGW for BCN, then had to fly out over the Scilly Isles before heading south and then back east south of the Pyrenees over Portugal and Spain.

flatlander May 31, 2016 7:47 am

I would expect 1-1.5 hour increase in flight time with cancellations to match (so maybe 1/3 cancelled) assuming BA use the oceanic route outside the influence of French ATC.

Creative back to back or self-constructed connections should be avoided.

Guy Betsy May 31, 2016 7:59 am

I've a BA flight from LCY to AMS on Monday morning (post strike). I'm just hopping that there won't be any domino effect..

bmi goldenboy May 31, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks all. Decided not to take the chance and changed the flight to tomorrow. Managed to get business plus on the Iberia A346 so looking forward to trying that out too. Just need to find a cheap hotel for tomorrow night now.....

ThatT1Feeling May 31, 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 26705421)
I've a BA flight from LCY to AMS on Monday morning (post strike). I'm just hopping that there won't be any domino effect..

I think you should be OK. I haven't seen any impact to AMS flights - the French action seems to impact France, Spain and Portugal (to a slightly lesser extent).

Originally Posted by bmi goldenboy (Post 26705608)
Thanks all. Decided not to take the chance and changed the flight to tomorrow. Managed to get business plus on the Iberia A346 so looking forward to trying that out too. Just need to find a cheap hotel for tomorrow night now.....

That's a good result - I walked through the business plus cabin to my more humble seat further back a few weeks ago - but even in economy the IFE was good and the service was impressive. The business plus looks like pure luxury for a shorthaul ;)

bmi goldenboy May 31, 2016 10:03 am

Yup, very happy with that one. Had a quick look at the hotels and plenty around the airport for £70 too so not breaking the bank for this last minute shuffle.

Oxon Flyer May 31, 2016 10:10 am

Banana Airways

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 26705147)
fly round France and it took 3 hours plus to each there (via Lands End, Out over Atlantic and down etc.)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7404/2...35f86b3e_c.jpg

pvgman May 31, 2016 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 26706038)

That was my flight path last week on a 7am departure, very annoying to travel this long just to get to LHR,

I won't complain any more about the circling above London after that!

hingethunder May 31, 2016 11:11 pm

Looks like this is too late for the OP as he has already rebooked, but for others who may be affected:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Any customer due to fly to or from any French airport as well as Madrid and Barcelona on Thursday June 2, Friday June 3, Saturday June 4 and Sunday June 5, regardless of whether their flight is operating or not can bring their flight forward up to Wednesday June 1 or move it back to a date up to and including Friday 10 June. All rebookings are subject to availability
My choice of Lyon for a long weekend to get the TPs I need to keep silver now seems like less of a good idea than it did when I booked it!

stewaran Jun 1, 2016 2:20 am

Is it clear cut these strikes end on time?
or do the french have a history of letting them run on?

Im flying LCY to Angers on Monday, hence the interest.

drpabs Jun 1, 2016 2:24 am

Am I correct in thinking that the strike begins on Friday 3rd rather than on Thursday 2nd? And if I am correct then shouldn't this mean that my 1150 flight tomorrow from LHR to PMI will be able to overfly France?

noubliepas Jun 1, 2016 2:57 am

Argh, flying MAD-LHR-HKG on Friday, luckily a 4 hour layover. Hope its enough.