Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any impact of UK-Spain flights during the French ATC strike this week?

Any impact of UK-Spain flights during the French ATC strike this week?

Old May 31, 16, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Question Any impact of UK-Spain flights during the French ATC strike this week?

Is anyone aware if there is likely to be any impact on ex-LON flights to MAD this weeks during the French ATC strike?

I'm positioning there on Thursday morning to catch a late afternoon flight back to LHR as the first leg

Not certain if I should cancel the award flight to MAD and rebook one for tomorrow instead so at least I'm there . Any advice very welcome
Old May 31, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Hard to predict with certainty. But last Thursday (strike day) I flew to BCN. Two LHR flights were cancelled. My LGW flight had to fly round France and it took 3 hours plus to each there (via Lands End, Out over Atlantic and down etc.)
Old May 31, 16, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Yes there certainly can be impacts.

My most recent MAD flight was cancelled and the flight I did take probably took 30-40 minutes extra flying time.

It's not predictable and so it might well be worthwhile giving yourself enough leeway to cope with a cancellation and extra flying time. If this means an overnight to be sure, then I would recommend doing this. The situation in France shows no signs of an early resolution.
Old May 31, 16, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yesp - same happened to me in June 2014. Big delay in flight departing LGW for BCN, then had to fly out over the Scilly Isles before heading south and then back east south of the Pyrenees over Portugal and Spain.
Old May 31, 16, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I would expect 1-1.5 hour increase in flight time with cancellations to match (so maybe 1/3 cancelled) assuming BA use the oceanic route outside the influence of French ATC.

Creative back to back or self-constructed connections should be avoided.
Old May 31, 16, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
I've a BA flight from LCY to AMS on Monday morning (post strike). I'm just hopping that there won't be any domino effect..
Old May 31, 16, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Decided not to take the chance and changed the flight to tomorrow. Managed to get business plus on the Iberia A346 so looking forward to trying that out too. Just need to find a cheap hotel for tomorrow night now.....
Old May 31, 16, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I've a BA flight from LCY to AMS on Monday morning (post strike). I'm just hopping that there won't be any domino effect..
I think you should be OK. I haven't seen any impact to AMS flights - the French action seems to impact France, Spain and Portugal (to a slightly lesser extent).

Originally Posted by bmi goldenboy View Post
Thanks all. Decided not to take the chance and changed the flight to tomorrow. Managed to get business plus on the Iberia A346 so looking forward to trying that out too. Just need to find a cheap hotel for tomorrow night now.....
That's a good result - I walked through the business plus cabin to my more humble seat further back a few weeks ago - but even in economy the IFE was good and the service was impressive. The business plus looks like pure luxury for a shorthaul
Old May 31, 16, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Yup, very happy with that one. Had a quick look at the hotels and plenty around the airport for 70 too so not breaking the bank for this last minute shuffle.
Old May 31, 16, 11:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Banana Airways

Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
fly round France and it took 3 hours plus to each there (via Lands End, Out over Atlantic and down etc.)
Old May 31, 16, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
That was my flight path last week on a 7am departure, very annoying to travel this long just to get to LHR,

I won't complain any more about the circling above London after that!
Old Jun 1, 16, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Looks like this is too late for the OP as he has already rebooked, but for others who may be affected:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Any customer due to fly to or from any French airport as well as Madrid and Barcelona on Thursday June 2, Friday June 3, Saturday June 4 and Sunday June 5, regardless of whether their flight is operating or not can bring their flight forward up to Wednesday June 1 or move it back to a date up to and including Friday 10 June. All rebookings are subject to availability
My choice of Lyon for a long weekend to get the TPs I need to keep silver now seems like less of a good idea than it did when I booked it!
Old Jun 1, 16, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Is it clear cut these strikes end on time?
or do the french have a history of letting them run on?

Im flying LCY to Angers on Monday, hence the interest.
Old Jun 1, 16, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Am I correct in thinking that the strike begins on Friday 3rd rather than on Thursday 2nd? And if I am correct then shouldn't this mean that my 1150 flight tomorrow from LHR to PMI will be able to overfly France?
Old Jun 1, 16, 3:57 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Argh, flying MAD-LHR-HKG on Friday, luckily a 4 hour layover. Hope its enough.

Search this Thread