FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ex-EU for a beginner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1768718-ex-eu-beginner.html)

icegirl May 28, 2016 10:55 am

Ex-EU for a beginner

I am new to using this method but I found an amazing deal to CPT which is worth taking.

Any tips on how I should go abut doing this?

For ex-EU flights can you check you bags in as far as LHR and skip the final leg? I remember once there was talk about BA to fine people who didn't.

Also, just a thought if the UK leaves the EU what would that mean for ex-EU flights?

henkybaby May 28, 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 26694350)
I am new to using this method but I found an amazing deal to CPT which is worth taking.

Any tips on how I should go abut doing this?

Plenty of threads on the topic but basically get to airport where you depart from and take the flights. Make sure you have enough time in case of delays.

For ex-EU flights can you check you bags in as far as LHR and skip the final leg? I remember once there was talk about BA to fine people who didn't.
With luggage in the hold, you might have a hard time getting them offloaded at LHR if you connect at LHR. See if you can do the London/origin from LCY or LGW. I would not worry about BA fining you. No reports yet of them even taking away TPs or Avios.

Also, just a thought if the UK leaves the EU what would that mean for ex-EU flights?
Nothing.

icegirl May 28, 2016 11:12 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 26694364)
Plenty of threads on the topic

Yes but too many which are the best ones?

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 26694364)
With luggage in the hold, you might have a hard time getting them offloaded at LHR if you connect at LHR. See if you can do the London/origin from LCY or LGW. I would not worry about BA fining you. No reports yet of them even taking away TPs or Avios.

I have children so there will deffo be luggage! Why would joining at LCY or LGW be any different?

subject2load May 28, 2016 11:12 am

Quote:
Nothing.

Agreed, absolutely nothing.

Although I'm surprised that neither the Remain nor Leave campaigners (or both !) have not yet found a way of weaving ex-EU flights into the debate - along with so many other surreal predictions........

Virazuno May 28, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 26694413)
I have children so there will deffo be luggage! Why would joining at LCY or LGW be any different?

Bags cannot transfer between different London airports, so they would be checked to LHR only. Building in an airport switch in London means you can guarantee your bags will be checked to LHR only.

shefgab May 28, 2016 11:46 am

As an example for a safe way to check your bags, you'd book:

Out: Amsterdam-Heathrow-Cape Town
Rtn: Cape Town-Heathrow....later the same day....London City-Amsterdam

That way it isn't possible for them to check the bags through to Amsterdam, and there is no arguement. If you have a Heathrow-Amsterdam flight for the same day, then BA staff are normally instructed to check the bag to the final desintation only, and this will give you a BIG headache. You don't want to get to Heathrow and have to try and get BA to release your bags.

KARFA May 28, 2016 11:48 am

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 26694350)

BA has taken action against at least one TA we know of on this. It is unclear whether BA has taken action against individual passengers. I would recommend you just take the last leg.

Virazuno May 28, 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 26694525)
You don't want to get to Heathrow and have to try and get BA to release your bags.

I have had to do this (legitimately!) a number of times and I would disagree - it's actually fairly painless and I've always got my bags back reasonably quickly.

If a short check is refused, it's not the end of the world.

corporate-wage-slave May 28, 2016 12:05 pm

I don't think we've got a true Noddy's guide to doing EU, that may evolve from this thread or may be not. The first thread listed below comes closest.

Here are the threads I'd perhaps look at, some of these are in the Dashboard and I normally refuse to link to threads there......

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html

Then this for back to back specifics, I continuously update it as I go around airports, if I get the time to sniff out the airport layout. You need to use the Full version of Flyertalk to see the Wiki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tinations.html

Then these threads give you the numbers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...deals-j-f.html

In the Dashboard there are also threads for using Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Stavanger. Not so much Dublin, but these are good airports for beginners. Some airports are much easier than others, some of the easy ones are SVG, BGO, GOT, DUS, AMS, CPH, GVA, PMI, BRU. It may be worth paying a bit more to use these airports since they are so much easier than (e.g.) OSL, ARN, FRA.

Now, some random CWS thoughts. I use the term ex EU but I don't like it, since the UK is in the EU and Norway (for example) is not. I'd prefer a term like "Third Country itineraries".

1) Ex EU are not for everyone: if you are the nervous type, don't like rushing around airports, maybe you have spousal units and cost centres in tow, don't like uncertainty, not fond of risk. You can do a lot to mitigate these factors, and we rarely read of disasters - indeed they seem no more disaster prone than other trips. Direct services may cost more, but you do get some benefit for that extra cost.

2) Ex EU work best if HBO, and BA's generous allowances means that you should really consider that, it's perfectly possible to travel with less rather than more. Kitchen sinks are now available pretty much everywhere. But ex EU can be done with checked bags, you just need to plan more carefully. Typically you may need to factor in a visit to the Left Luggage shop in Arrivals at T5 or T3. You may not need it, but bear it in mind.

3) Always complete all sectors. I would not advise anyone to abandon their last sector. We can have a big debate on this, and it's true that there are currently few recorded ramifications of not completing the trip, but that may change.

4) Either do back to back or pad your turnaround with many spare hours or better still an overnight stop at the start point. The latter particularly helps if you have checked luggage. The worst thing to do is to just have a 2 - 4 hour turnaround at the start of the trip.

5) RFS is your friend, but so are Plus fares - they allow online changes on the day of departure for free. Even if HBO you may want that.

6) Beware of weather risk: wind and fog at LCY and DUB for example. and always think about Plan B: what would you do if flight x gets cancelled?

7) Ex EU using WTP often doesn't work well. but with WT is often does work. CW and First is probably where you're looking.

8) Be wary of too many tight connections in the USA. If you get irrop'd on one service they will re-route you but it may cause havoc to your plans and uncertainty in terms of TPs awarded.

9) If you are going to save a lot of money on your trip, then it is probably wise to consider using some of the saving to book hotels and other breaks to improve the quality of the experience.

10) It's always worth asking questions - someone is bound to have done something similar recently. Don't be scared to ask.

Dicksbits May 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Great advice above. HBO I've found usually a 3-4h gap between your 'positioning' flight arrival and your first departing leg of the ex-EU ticket is suffice. But I do take the point that if there is an issue with the positioning outbound flight it can cause havoc. Risk worth taking with enough time I feel.

subject2load May 28, 2016 1:36 pm

What a superb summary there from c-w-s ^^

jcm9000 May 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Third county itineraries eh? We would instantly shorten to TCI. That'll confuse the bucket and spaders...

henkybaby May 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000 (Post 26694851)
Third county itineraries eh? We would instantly shorten to TCI. That'll confuse the bucket and spaders...

What's the second country? Why not simply call it nonUK?

I don't think EU stands for European Union but is simply short for Europe, and that is how most of the UK refers to the mainland, so... exEU is fine with me*.

* just don't do it on the 23rd....

corporate-wage-slave May 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 26694898)
What's the second country? Why not simply call it nonUK?

Many people fly from from one country to another country. Some FTers use a third country to do so (like the term Third Party Insurance). Non UK doesn't work since INV and JER are in different countries but one of them is certainly in the UK.

henkybaby May 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Well, I certainly don't think that I am in a Third Country. Actually, most of the time I am in the first but I may use another EU country to depart from. Not all BAEC members are living in the UK (or however your quaint collection of islands is called :))

If it ain't broke...