Wiki Posts
Search

New Tablet format for FT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thumbs down New Tablet format for FT

Am I the only person who is not enjoying the recent 'upgrade' to FT since the site went down for maintenance a few days ago? At first I thought it was just a skeleton site, for use only during the maintenance period. Nope. Now, whenever I view FT using my iPad (which is mostly) I get the new format - which I think is clunky and horrible.

Where has the opening menu gone? (Especially Luxury Hotels). Where is the log in and what has happened to my message alerts? In my view this is a real downgrade. Thank goodness the original, much more comprehensive format is still available when using my lap top - which I will have to do much more in future, but is not so convenient when travelling. :
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a technical & feedback board here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-feedback-386/
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Can you not switch to the desktop site?

That's the only site I use be it on laptop, iPhone or iPad. I find it much easier to use.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I had the same 'skeleton' view for a while.

I cleared the Cookies on my mobile-browser, and now the site displays as was intended.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:23 am

Go to bottom of page and press the button that says "display full site" or similar words. That takes you back to the usual old display (so far it has kept the old display for two days now)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
What's happened to the app?

I was having trouble getting the app to work on my iPhone so deleted it so I could reload it. It's gone! No sign of it in the App Store.

I concur that the new mobile format is crap.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:56 am

The thing I'm not enjoying when viewing on my iPhone is that I can't tap the top of the page to scroll all the way to the top of the page. This seems to automatically move back one page of posts. Whilst in theory this is a good idea - it is very counter-intuitive for iOS users who have gotten used to being able to tap the area near the address bar to initiate a 'scroll to top of page' action.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by muscat
Go to bottom of page and press the button that says "display full site" or similar words. That takes you back to the usual old display (so far it has kept the old display for two days now)
That's what I have to do on the iPad every now and then as well. I love the old simple design and dread the day the new flashy GUI will be "forced" upon us.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
I was having trouble getting the app to work on my iPhone so deleted it so I could reload it. It's gone! No sign of it in the App Store.

I concur that the new mobile format is crap.
They killed the App with the latest update and, per the thread in the technical forum, have no plans to bring it back. I recommend you go register your protest there.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Why oh why ?

Why oh why, do these web 'experts', not just here, have to mess around with a design we all like, was easy to use etc.etc. Have they got nothing better to do than meddle just for the sake of it. So very annoying. And you get all this crap about a 'fresh new look.' What a load of tosh.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I wish it would stop sending me to the mobile App when I'm using my iPad - why oh why can it not simply remember that I keep choosing the Full Website option??? ARRRGGGHHHHH
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by jonjparr
The thing I'm not enjoying when viewing on my iPhone is that I can't tap the top of the page to scroll all the way to the top of the page. This seems to automatically move back one page of posts. Whilst in theory this is a good idea - it is very counter-intuitive for iOS users who have gotten used to being able to tap the area near the address bar to initiate a 'scroll to top of page' action.
Fwiw, the scroll to top works for me on the iPhone...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never post using a tablet or a mobile...is there a capital letter function on them?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze
The only improvement to the mobile site is that the OP is indicated whenever they post.
The tablet which I prefer to view the full site seems to have a giant banner at the bottom of the page 'VISIT MOBILE SITE' unlike the 'view full site' which is much more subdued.
Is this a sign that the full site is now on the way out ? I hope not.
(Posted from my phone on the mobile site !!).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't use FT on my tablet, but much prefer the new layout when I use it on my phone. It's much clearer and I prefer the font. I also like that you can toggle between the two formats easily. For once, I actually am happy with website changes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.