Wiki Posts
Search

RFS or cash or part cash/part avios?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
RFS or cash or part cash/part avios?

Apologies, I am trying to work out what an Avios is worth. Me and the rest of the world. Am I thinking about this the right way? I am not overly mathematical, so it could be this is completely wrong.

For 3 adults/2 kids one-way to Budapest next August, it’s £780 in the O fare bucket. Fairly steep, and earns the HHA a mere 25TP and 2,736 avios (1x GCH, 3 x BCH, 1x zip)

Alternatively using RFS it’s £87.50 + 37,500 avios. That makes the avios worth 1.72p each (saves £693, but spends 37,500 avios + does not collect 2,736 avios that the cash ticket does – so my calc is 693/40,236 = 1.72p )
There is also a scale of cash options, the highest of which is £287.50 + 12,500 avios. Using the same calc as above, I get to a per pence use of avios as 3.23p, which seems really good. Ie, I’ve still saved £493 off the cash fare, but I've only used only 12,500 avios.

Is this how I should look at this? Or should I say that the additional £200 is saving me 25,000 avios? That comes out as 0.8p per avios, at which point I get very confused!

Please unbefuddle me!
S
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
For the outright award in the first instance you are gaining 1.72p/avios value.

For the Avios&Money award in the second instance, you are effectively paying £200 to buy 25,000 avios, thus buying avios at 0.8p/avios. The remaining avios you are redeeming at 3.23p/avios.

The Avios&Money option provides much better value, unless you are avios rich and cash poor.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It's really a matter of how many Avios you have, how easily to earn them and how much you're willing to spend.

If you aren't really planning anything else with the Avios, then use them.

If you could easily gain them back through BA Amex etc. spends, then you're not losing a lot.

As you're travelling as a family, Avios usage is going to be higher overall than if you're solo like myself. I can easily blow 9000? Avios + £35 on a return flight with no great impact - easy to make back from numerous flights, shopping etc.

As for what an Avios is worth, it's subjective.
i.e.
CX F JFK-HKG for 150,000 Avios + £66 and the flight sells for around £11,000.
AA F LAX-JFK for 50k Avios + £3 and the flight sells for around £792 upwards.

The CX flight is far better value in my opinion.

Does the cash + Avios option earn Avios? I know if you pay cash and then use say 4500 Avios to knock £20 off the price, you earn Avios and TPs.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by xenole
Does the cash + Avios option earn Avios? I know if you pay cash and then use say 4500 Avios to knock £20 off the price, you earn Avios and TPs.
Avios&Money is a redemption which the OP is looking at and thus does not earn avios/TPs. This is booked using the normal award search and shows up at the end.

Using avios to reduce the price is a revenue fare which earns avios/TPs. This is booked using the normal revenue fare search and shows up at the end.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Typically using avios to reduce the cash fare gives a flat rate for avios which is not very good. In this example in the lowest fare bucket, the earning potential is so pitiful as to make this even more unattractive.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by snuffi
3 adults/2 kids ... £780 in the O fare bucket ... Alternatively using RFS it’s £87.50 + 37,500 avios ... saves £693
That sounds like a good deal to me, and (to put it in perspective) comparable value to UUA from WT+ to CW on longhaul.

LHR<>PVG UUA is GBP 1k in the sale or GBP 2.5k in CW. 72k Avios secures the UUA and saves GBP 1.5k. Accordingly 36k Avios saves GBP 750, which is approximately equal to your saving.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
For the outright award in the first instance you are gaining 1.72p/avios value.

For the Avios&Money award in the second instance, you are effectively paying £200 to buy 25,000 avios, thus buying avios at 0.8p/avios. The remaining avios you are redeeming at 3.23p/avios.

The Avios&Money option provides much better value, unless you are avios rich and cash poor.
OK, so I am buying at 0.8p, and therefore immediately redeeming at 1.72p, so a value of 0.92p on 25,000. And then 3.23p on 12,500, for an average of 1.69p across the 37,500?

If that's the case then the first option is marginally better. Basically the confusion is that there are so many ways to do it, and I like to be quite scientific on the value side, but sadly without the skill to do so!!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
The calcs in your OP reflect the way I look at it. I'm not sure I see merit in splitting the Avios to see how they vary.

Another factor I consider is keeping enough Avios to be able to do the same again. The fewer Avios you use per transaction the more transactions you can make. Devaluation may creep up on you eventually, but assuming a gradual change you can aim to do another RFS later in the year with what you've kept back. If you spend too many now you won't have that option.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Am I right in thinking that if I made a revenue booking with a saving using Avios, the Avios would not be refunded in the event of me cancelling the booking? Seems pretty logical, but I just want to make sure.

It's a stand alone flight for 53 EUR, but I can bring it down to 35 EUR for a net loss of 1,325 Avios.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Raffles is the real expert on things like this and hopefully will be along shortly but personally I value avios at 1p each.

So in your case I'd take the RFS.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Raffles is the real expert on things like this and hopefully will be along shortly but personally I value avios at 1p each.

So in your case I'd take the RFS.
But a RFS would cost 7,500 Avios + 21 EUR. I think in this case a revenue booking is better as it earns Avios/TPs too.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:56 am

Just for future reference, does anybody know the answer my question in post 9?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
Just for future reference, does anybody know the answer my question in post 9?
You are right in tha refundability of the avios follows from the refundability of teh fare in general. So non-refundable fare means no avios refund either.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ditions-of-use

See the last section under point 10.

10. When Avios have been used as part payment, the Avios will be refundable only where the fare is refundable. Partial refunds of fare and surcharges will be credited to your Avios account up to the value of the original part payment, with any remainder credited to your original method of payment together with government taxes.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:47 am

Thanks KARFA ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.