Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FastTrack Customs Arriving at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Simply put, the British Civil Service does not think in those terms and would never conceive of something so commercial.

The airlines already pay a hefty sum for fast track but that does not translate to the officer level. The money is siphoned off way before then and the people on the front line neither know nor care that you are paying extra. You are a non-EU citizen and therefore you will be scrutinized at the same level as any other non-EU citizen, as ridiculous as that seems.

If anything, it is more likely that someone at some level has decided that it is unfair for someone to get ahead of the queue by paying extra, and has determined to impose a higher level of checks as a kind of "punishment".

But personally I suspect it is just coincidence.

Statistically, South Africans are among the most likely to breach their visa conditions while in the UK.

Do you have a source for that bit on Saffers?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Do you have a source for that bit on Saffers?
Yes, http://www.publications.parliament.u...90209m0001.htm

Slightly more digestible source here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7879850.stm

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 5, 2016 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
[QUOTE=Calchas;26285471]Simply put, the British Civil Service does not think in those terms and would never conceive of something so commercial.

The UK Border and Immigration system (which includes Border Force) has to be self-funding by 2020 - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...ng-review-2015

At the moment, Border Force is not self-funded so we can probably assume we will see more opportunities for Border Force to raise additional income from passengers/airlines.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I'm here with an UPDATE on what ended up happening with this. Spoiler alert: it was awesome.

BA 680 from IST to LHR on their little A320 was to be the least nice part of this trip: cash ($60) which meant no frills whatsoever.

That said, I got AA to give me the FastTrack passes on our First Class flight of DFW-LHR-IST a few days prior and just pocketed those since we didn't plan to leave the airport on our connection (CCR was way nicer; thanks again Filthy Monkey!)

Getting out of IST turned out to be incredibly easy: FastTrack wouldn't have been any quicker. The check-in for BA was empty and with OLCI, we simply dropped our bags and were done vwithin 5 minutes. Same for passport control and security. Incredibly easy; ended up with an hour and a half to kill in the PrimeClass lounge (thank you Citi Prestige).

The flight was great; no difference from our Business Class on the way down. Empty seat between us, same size seats, great meal and beverages, etc.

Arriving at LHR I decided to try my luck handing my AA FastTrack passes to the woman at the FastTrack counter. Worst case scenario she'd say no, but given the MASSIVE line for standard and the 4 people at FT, I definitely had to give it a shot.

It threw her for a moment and she read over the thing with a long "ummmmm." Ultimately, moment of truth, she said, "okay, I guess that's fine!" and let us through. We made it out of LHR arrivals within 15 minutes of deplaning.

All in all, a successful journey! Now to wrap up this 72-minute Underground ride into the city...

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Mar 12, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You could probably show them any plastic card and say the magic word "emerald" and be waved in...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by seaskybound
You could probably show them any plastic card and say the magic word "emerald" and be waved in...
EMERALD!!!

It's okay guys, let me through:

Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum (OWE) VA Gold
Actually anything Gold often fools them because of BA Gold being Emerald

Prior to getting QF Platinum 5 years ago, I used my Gold a few times and got away with it.

Mind you I did ask if Gold entitled me to Fast Track and they said I think so......
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
Statistically, South Africans are among the most likely to breach their visa conditions while in the UK.
Unfortunately true for my fellow nationals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.