Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading a flight & hotel booking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Upgrading a flight & hotel booking

Hi All,
I'm thinking of booking a flights & hotel deal to Dubai next month as there is currently a good sale on at BA.COM. If I book this (flights are CW), am I able to then call up and upgrade sectors to F, subject to availability?
Am only really keen to do this if I can upgrade the outbound sector.
Many thanks
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, you can definitely upgrade holiday bookings using Avios, but, as you point out, the key words are 'subject to availability'.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Yes, you can definitely upgrade holiday bookings using Avios, but, as you point out, the key words are 'subject to availability'.
Many thanks, yes I'm going to specifically book the flights that show F awards, of which there are quite a few
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Hi All,
I'm thinking of booking a flights & hotel deal to Dubai next month as there is currently a good sale on at BA.COM. If I book this (flights are CW), am I able to then call up and upgrade sectors to F, subject to availability?
Am only really keen to do this if I can upgrade the outbound sector.
Many thanks
I was looking at the same trip a few days ago. The J-F cash upgrade was showing as around £500. So, it may be worth thinking about that if no Avios upgrades are available (assuming you have £500 knocking around)...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I was looking at the same trip a few days ago. The J-F cash upgrade was showing as around £500. So, it may be worth thinking about that if no Avios upgrades are available (assuming you have £500 knocking around)...
Yes I saw that, but the day flight to DXB (which is my preference) shows plenty of F availability at 20k avios, so I'd rather use them! Great deal though for school holidays...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Agree - £500 beats an extra 20k avios all day long (OK plus whatever the avios earned would be, but still...)
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Only if bought direct from BA - if bought from an OTA, then no, you definitely can't upgrade using Avios...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Only if bought direct from BA - if bought from an OTA, then no, you definitely can't upgrade using Avios...
You can UuA with a TA booking, subject to the following (and if there is availability of course).

The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can UuA with a TA booking, subject to the following (and if there is availability of course).
KARFA, I meant for 'flight & hotel' bookings - I have tried 3 or 4 times to upgrade those using Avios, and each time been told that it wasn't possible...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've never UUAed a flight and hotel booking, but then I generally book direct with Hilton.

Flight and car bookings are also BA Holidays bookings and they are definitely upgradeable (assuming that the fare meets all the other requirements as to class and availability of course).

However, BA does treat holidays as TA bookings for UUA and therefore they would have to be all on BA metal, so no AA elements for instance, even if on 125 stock - you could upgrade a pure flight booking from BA in those circumstances, but not a TA one.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
KARFA, I meant for 'flight & hotel' bookings - I have tried 3 or 4 times to upgrade those using Avios, and each time been told that it wasn't possible...
So a BA holiday booking including flight & hotel booked via a TA? Why would you do it that way?

In any case here are the relevant terms for UuA

6.Bookings which have been made through a travel agent are eligible, except Bulk Tour (BT) or Inclusive Tour (IT) bookings. Bookings made with a travel agent which contain other carriers in the booking cannot be upgraded. Upgrading using Avios can only be made online at ba.com or direct with BA by contacting either your local service centre or sales office. Bookings cannot be Upgraded using Avios points at airport ticket desks or via travel agents.

7.Upgrading using Avios points is permitted where flights are sold as part of a package holiday or where flights and ground arrangements, such as prepaid hotels, cars, transfers and experiences, are booked directly with BA and paid for in the same transaction. Flights booked and paid for separately from any ground arrangements are also eligible for Upgrades using Avios points for Upgrade. Upgrading using Avios can only be applied to bookings which are made in the member's Executive Club membership country. Upgrade using Avios relates only to the relevant flight in the itinerary and does not apply to the other parts of the booking. BA will not be responsible for any subsequent changes or cancellations to the ground arrangements.
So as you note under 7 a flight & hotel package seems to be UuA'able only if booked direct with BA.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
So a BA holiday booking including flight & hotel booked via a TA? Why would you do it that way?
Not exactly a 'BA holiday booking' but a BA flight & hotel or car, via a TA - because it can be much much much cheaper (recent example, 1300gbp from BA, 600 gbp from AN OTA)
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not exactly a 'BA holiday booking' but a BA flight & hotel or car, via a TA - because it can be much much much cheaper (recent example, 1300gbp from BA, 600 gbp from AN OTA)
As far as BA would be concerned (or know), this would just be a flight only booking. They wouldn't see/care about the hotel booked through your TA, and it wouldn't affect the UuA-ability of your ticket. However, if your TA has used a non-published fare (and it sounds like they have), then that could affect your chance of UuA.

It's not the actual hotel that BA are objecting to doing a UuA with, it's your fare type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.