Wiki Posts
Search

BA A380 hits a jet bridge at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Some of the JetBridge guidance systems at MIA [i.e E Gates] are not very sophisticated..anyhow they are most likely only in Spanish LOL
They don't speak English. They could not understand how to speak English. They better learn how to speak English.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by TCX69
With “LED” in SIN undergoing scheduled MX and “LEA” in MIA on a Rewarn for 24th January, it is obviously causing disruption to the flying programme:

21st: BA217/216 IAD Canx
22nd: BA283/282 LAX Canx
23rd: BA117/172 JFK Canx
24th: BA31/32 HKG Canx

Not sure the JFK cancellation is directly related as it's not a 380 route. Suspect that is whether or other reasons.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Originally Posted by TCX69
With “LED” in SIN undergoing scheduled MX and “LEA” in MIA on a Rewarn for 24th January, it is obviously causing disruption to the flying programme:

21st: BA217/216 IAD Canx
22nd: BA283/282 LAX Canx
23rd: BA117/172 JFK Canx
24th: BA31/32 HKG Canx

The IAD flight was initially changed to a 747 and then cancelled. The friday & sat flights have been changed to 777 s. Supposedly back to a 380 Sun (if Jonas allows) - I'll be content for anything, just want to get over the pond.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:00 am

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 12, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:56 am

It's quite wrong to draw conclusions on what went wrong. The FAA will undoubtedly carry out a full and thorough investigation and appropriate measures against the person(s) responsible will follow.

When we are discussing the standard procedures with Stand Guidance and Airbridges, we are assuming that the FAA regulated American practices are the same as our CAA regulated ones here in the UK. They may not be.

Here, the person operating the Stand Guidance System (usually Dispatcher or Turnround Manager, but could be a competent Airman) would:

1. Walk the yellow centre line of the stand, checking for, and pcking up, any debris that could be ingested by the approaching engines.

2. Check the stand is clear of any equipment that might foul the aircraft "footprint" as she approaches.

3. Open the Stand Guidance System for the appropriate aircraft.

4. Stand in a position close to the "Emergency Aircraft Stop" switch in case you notice something you missed earlier, or in case some idiot drives or walks across the stand in front of the aircraft. At this point, if a competent person is available to hand over the Head of Stand position to, the Dispatcher may take a hike to operate the airbridge. An "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button is also available on the airbridge if a potential hazard is observed from the higher viewpoint.

(The Stand Guidance Display shows the pilots how straight the aircraft is against the centre line and how many metres (feet in the US) to the nosewheel stop position for the appropriate aircraft type. The "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button results in a big red "STOP" replacing the display and relies on the pilots hitting the brakes!)

5. Airbridges in the UK are always returned to the parking position at departure time, wheels inside a yellow painted circle or semi-circle. Some airbridges have to be moved after departure to a second parking box, which is why you may sometimes see an airbridge moving when no aeroplane is present. To prevent excessive wear, the height of our airbridges is adjusted to around 4 metres whenever parked and the jetty head is moved parallel to the yellow stand centre line (except the "C" jetties in Terminal 3 which are swivelled to face the terminal building).

6. Airbridges should never be operated until the aircraft has had, at least, two chocks placed under the nosewheel (4 in the case of an A380). (Occasionally, with the long jetties in Terminal 3 (Stands 303R and 305R) I might move the jetty a short way before the aircraft arrives to save the arriving passengers' time, but officially I shouldn't!)

So , the questions I would be asking would be:
1. Why was the airbridge not in the correctly parked position? Was it faulty - if so, why was the stand being used?
2. The person who "walked the line" and decided the stand was clear to accept the aircraft with the world's largest "footprint" - why did he/she not spot the airbridge was out of position?
3. Why did the person at the "Head of Stand" not operate the "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button?
4. If the "Emergency Aircraft Stop" button was used, why did the pilots not respond quickly enough?

Without the answers to these questions, it is very difficult to know who, or what, was responsible. As always, with aviation incidents, I would be vey surprised if only one factor was culpable - usually several issues come into play!

I'm just glad no one was hurt - aeroplanes and airbridges are easily mended, spinning engines and 100 tonne moving steel structures can do a hell of a lot of damage to poor, frail human beings!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:08 am

It's quite wrong to draw conclusions on what went wrong. The FAA will undoubtedly carry out a full and thorough investigation and appropriate measures against the person(s) responsible will follow.

When we are discussing the standard procedures with Stand Guidance and Airbridges, we are assuming that the FAA regulated American practices are the same as our CAA regulated ones here in the UK. They may not be.

Here, the person operating the Stand Guidance System (usually Dispatcher or Turnround Manager, but could be a competent Airman) would:

1. Walk the yellow centre line of the stand, checking for, and pcking up, any debris that could be ingested by the approaching engines.

2. Check the stand is clear of any equipment that might foul the aircraft "footprint" as she approaches.

3. Open the Stand Guidance System for the appropriate aircraft.

4. Stand in a position close to the "Emergency Aircraft Stop" switch in case you notice something you missed earlier, or in case some idiot drives or walks across the stand in front of the aircraft. At this point, if a competent person is available to hand over the Head of Stand position to, the Dispatcher may take a hike to operate the airbridge. An "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button is also available on the airbridge if a potential hazard is observed from the higher viewpoint.

(The Stand Guidance Display shows the pilots how straight the aircraft is against the centre line and how many metres (feet in the US) to the nosewheel stop position for the appropriate aircraft type. The "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button results in a big red "STOP" replacing the display and relies on the pilots hitting the brakes!)

5. Airbridges in the UK are always returned to the parking position at departure time, wheels inside a yellow painted circle or semi-circle. Some airbridges have to be moved after departure to a second parking box, which is why you may sometimes see an airbridge moving when no aeroplane is present. To prevent excessive wear, the height of our airbridges is adjusted to around 4 metres whenever parked and the jetty head is moved parallel to the yellow stand centre line (except the "C" jetties in Terminal 3 which are swivelled to face the terminal building).

6. Airbridges should never be operated until the aircraft has had, at least, two chocks placed under the nosewheel (4 in the case of an A380). (Occasionally, with the long jetties in Terminal 3 (Stands 303R and 305R) I might move the jetty a short way before the aircraft arrives to save the arriving passengers' time, but officially I shouldn't!)

So , the questions I would be asking would be:
1. Why was the airbridge not in the correctly parked position? Was it faulty - if so, why was the stand being used?
2. The person who "walked the line" and decided the stand was clear to accept the aircraft with the world's largest "footprint" - why did he/she not spot the airbridge was out of position?
3. Why did the person at the "Head of Stand" not operate the "Aircraft Emergency Stop" button?
4. If the "Emergency Aircraft Stop" button was used, why did the pilots not respond quickly enough?

Without the answers to these questions, it is very difficult to know who, or what, was responsible. As always, with aviation incidents, I would be vey surprised if only one factor was culpable - usually several issues come into play!

I'm just glad no one was hurt - aeroplanes and airbridges are easily mended, spinning engines and 100 tonne moving steel structures can do a hell of a lot of damage to poor, frail human beings!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I wonder what the reactions would have been if this had happened to an Air France plane...
Supervisor should be certified in scaling fences and bring an extra dress shirt for debriefing session with ramp crew.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by avcritic
Supervisor should be certified in scaling fences and bring an extra dress shirt for debriefing session with ramp crew.
funny !
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
bealine very interesting and informative, thank you. I shall try to remember just how much there is to it next time I'm sitting onboard thinking 'come on, come on' !
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BA235
bealine very interesting and informative, thank you. I shall try to remember just how much there is to it next time I'm sitting onboard thinking 'come on, come on' !
^+1
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Being hyper-critical they really should know if their wing/engines might end up near that bridge.
You haven't driven many large airliners, have you?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You haven't driven many large airliners, have you?
No.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:17 am
CTV

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL
I was on the 208 back from MIA last night which was operated by the crew of the cancelled flight on the 19th. I had a quick chat with one of the FOs this morning before disembarking and he said that it looked like the air bridge could have been rested in the "747" position rather than the "380" position. He also said that as the cowling was one large piece it was going to take a little longer to get it to MIA.
As an aside, the 380 parked up at gate F15 last night as the usual E gate was still inoperative. F15 only has one air bridge - Boarding was a very interesting process!

Last edited by CTV; Jan 21, 2016 at 9:19 am Reason: Wrong flight number!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Executive, UA Premier Silver, Hilton Silver, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Rewards Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Hands Mensing
The IAD flight was initially changed to a 747 and then cancelled. The friday & sat flights have been changed to 777 s. Supposedly back to a 380 Sun (if Jonas allows) - I'll be content for anything, just want to get over the pond.
Thanks for the update. Please keep us all informed if you know or hear of any further aircraft swaps or cancellations. I'm scheduled on BA216 IAD-LHR for 12FEB16, hoping all will be settled by then as I don't want to sit on some old 777 or 747! Many thanks again.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bealine
It's quite wrong to draw conclusions on what went wrong.

The FAA will undoubtedly carry out a full and thorough investigation and appropriate measures against the person(s) responsible will follow.
@ my bolding

Indeed ^

I always find it interesting to read the official accident reoprt as to the cause and actual facts as to why this happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.