Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
I tried pushing a second time and was told explicitly that this limit was there 'for fairness of all passengers' and they wouldn't budge - even after I argued that they'd neglected their duty of care.

More frustrating is that when checking out of the hotel the next morning, i saw another passenger from the cancelled flight (those yellow hand baggage tags have their uses!) and she had been sent to (or back to) the same hotel by the airport staff... But no idea of their arrangements.

The argument is about £80 which in the grand scheme, given we've got the EU 261 on top is nothing, BUT it's the principle at stake here.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:55 am

P.S. I even did BA a favour in keeping costs down by sharing a room with my wife :-)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hb133
P.S. I even did BA a favour in keeping costs down by sharing a room with my wife :-)
Funnily enough, BA don't require you to share a room with your wife, so you could have downscaled and presented two bills for a higher total amount and all would have been fine.

OK, if you've rung up you're only going to get further by the MCOL route. I don't normally say this but unless this was the Hôtel Plaza Athénée Paris, I think you would be paid, eventually (may be your insurance would help?). There's nothing in the Regulation which limits the cost of this, merely that the airline is responsible for accommodation, it just may be impacted by what a District Judge would feel is reasonable.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:16 pm

Funnily enough, BA don't require you to share a room with your wife, so you could have downscaled and presented two bills for a higher total amount and all would have been fine.
Apparently that isn't actually the case - if there are two of you on one booking, they expect you to share a room. At least according to the agent I spoke with earlier.

It's not worth the hassle for £80 and I've turned it over to Amex BA Premium Plus card insurance for the difference so will see what happens there.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Just done a search and found the below information.

What's considered opinion, is it worth me pursuing given that BA have told me?

Originally Posted by pmcg
"Your flight BA0227 on 24 June was delayed due to lightning strike...
Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states that a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove that the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken."[/I]
When there seems to have been a precedent already set:

Originally Posted by henkybaby
In other news...

Lightning strikes no longer count as extraordinary circumstances. Could this be the end of the 'weather en route made us do it' defence?
Quote:
Flight delayed passengers can claim compensation for delays caused by lightning strikes as a result of a judgement at Reading Crown Court.

Her Honour Judge Melissa Clarke ruled in favour of passengers Michael Evans and Julie Lee today (14/01/16) in the appeal case of Evans v Monarch Airlines Ltd at Reading County Court.

The Judge awarded the passengers €600 (£450) each for a five-hour flight delay.

The judge ruled that lightning strikes are not one of the ‘extraordinary circumstances’ that excuse airlines from paying flight delay compensation....
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pmcg
When there seems to have been a precedent already set:
It's not a precedent, unfortunately, it was an appeal on a county court judgement, and so persuasive and arguable, but not a precedent. Moreover, what perhaps isn't clear from the quote above was that the claimants' were in Egypt, the aircraft was struck by lightning on a previous service from Nice to Gatwick. Now normally you couldn't expect an airline to rustle up an aircraft in Egypt but the judge here decided that the claimants were entitled to compensation. Her reasoning was

Originally Posted by Her Honour Melissa Clarke
“Damage caused by a lightning strike may well be an unexpected flight safety shortcoming, but that does not make it an exceptional circumstance […] An unexpected flight safety shortcoming is only an exceptional circumstance if it is not inherent within the normal exercise of the carrier’s activity”
Key to this is the "inherent" word, plus the fact that aircraft overwhelmingly don't need anything more than an inspection after a lightning strike.

However in your case it's all a red herring: your service started in LHR, the home of British Airways. The fact that BA didn't have a spare aircraft to handle a normal out-of-service fleet shortfall, caused by a very routine incident to just one aircraft is BA's problem, not yours. So letter before action and then MCOL, assuming there are no other factors involved.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
These seem to be the same issue, though in the first quote we don't have full details. Basically when the second flight in a connection is delayed, BA only counts that as standalone trip, whereas if the first flight is delayed leading to missed connection BA (correctly) takes the whole trip into consideration and pays the longer distance. BA is doing this consistently. There are good arguments on both sides why this is correct or incorrect, in other words both ways of calculating it are arguable. Personally I think it should be the whole journey, but that viewpoint isn't going to make a difference. Since BA's internal policy is what it is, the only way to shift this is to use MCOL and argue your case. If either of you do this, please keep us informed, via PM if necessary.
Yep, sounds like the same case to me as well. However, my flights were within Europe, so I was expecting to be getting EUR 400. If BA is having a policy of ignoring the first leg, I think I just go for the offered EUR 250. Not happy about it, but not really interested in fighting for the rest of the money with no guarantee of the result.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:42 am

Smile help

Hi,

i'm would like to ask for some help.

On 17th June my wife and i were due to fly to Istanbul on BA676 leaving 10.20. This was cancelled at 09.15 and we were rebooked to fly at 17.45 (flight actually did not leave until nearly 19.30).

I requested a EU compensation claim but have been told:

Thanks for your time on the phone today regarding your cancelled flight to Istanbul on 17 June.
Further to our conversation yesterday, your flight BA0676 was cancelled due to a lightening strike. The aircraft was damaged on arrival at London Heathrow from its previous journey that morning. As this is outside of our control, your claim has been refused. I realise this isn't the answer you hoped to receive. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Given what i gather is the Evans v Monarch Airlines Ltd at Reading County Court ruling and that the flight was due to leave BA's home airport of Heathrow should i try and take the matter further?

Many thanks if anyone could shed some light/help.

Hedgepig
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:59 am

Firstly it is good of you to confirm something hinted up thread, namely that BA do have an internal limit on hotel costs (as they do for taxis). I suspected as much but this is the clearest evidence I've seen on this. They tend not to publicise the limits, even if directly asked, presumably on the basis that all hotel and all taxi fare claims will suddenly start to be £200 and £50 respectively!
When my LHR-BSL flight was cancelled a few weeks ago and I was rebooked onto one the next day, I was handed a leaflet which clearly had the limits explained.

It was titled "Compensation & Assistance for customers in time of disruption"

And it bullet-pointed
  • Hotel (£200 per day per room - 2 people sharing)
  • Transport to/from the airport and hotel (£50 for the round trip)
  • Reasonable meals/refreshments (£25 per adult per day, £12.50 for children)
  • Two reasonable telephone calls per customer.

Due to the sheer number of flights cancelled that particular day, getting a hotel (even a mediocre one) for under £200 proved close to impossible anywhere near the airport, so in my case they paid over £200 although I claimed for nothing else.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedgepig30
Given what i gather is the Evans v Monarch Airlines Ltd at Reading County Court ruling and that the flight was due to leave BA's home airport of Heathrow should i try and take the matter further?
Yes, lightning strike from previous flights involving a LHR turnaround have not been deemed extraordinary since long before that case or indeed Huzar. So yes, push back on this, saying that under EC261 this is not extraordinary, its inherent and furthermore BA chose not to lay on a replacement aircraft at its home hub, where something like 240 aircraft are based.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrianlondon

Due to the sheer number of flights cancelled that particular day, getting a hotel (even a mediocre one) for under £200 proved close to impossible anywhere near the airport, so in my case they paid over £200 although I claimed for nothing else.
Thanks for passing that on, it will be useful to others. I wasn't aware they were going public with this information. In a way it is helpful to passengers since they can effectively ring round, and if a hotel quotes £210 you can ask them to knock £11 off to conform to policy. Most hotels I know would accept this.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Well I'm not sure: if ever I came across an "extraordinary circumstance" this was it! (This was the flight where the marijuana like stink in the cabin forced a redirect). Actually it depends on what really caused this. If it was just poor cargo storage on BA's part then yes you should get your 400€ compensation, if it was due some weird set of circumstances never again to be repeated then BA, for once, may be able to claim this isn't inherent in aviation life.

However if you have a bit of time, it would be good if you give a blow by blow (arf!) account in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ell-cabin.html

I certainly would read it!
Everyone,

So BA in record time (5 days for me at least) have admitted EU261 liability on the infamous BA2552 to Heraklion on 21 July. Whatever nasty smell was in the cabin was not blamed on extraordinary circumstances and they are paying out immediately with no quibble.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Not sure if BA are getting on top of the back log yet but I had a LGW to BCN delayed by 3 hours and 5 minutes, the pilot was great came out of the cockpit to explain that despite what we might have been told the plane was delayed due to lack of serviceable aircraft before we even took off, when we arrived in BCN as I was checking the delay time with the cabin crew (so I could be sure for my claim) the pilot came on the PA to tell passengers to claim their compensation.

I emailed customer services, within 4 days I had a response which agreed they were liable, the entire email dealt with the delay and wished I had a good flight on an upcoming trip (all details were correct) rather than the usual mash up of non relevant text you often get. 2 days later I had the cheque.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:14 am

Many thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I've got a question about the "grey area" referred to in point 12 of the first post:
There is a grey area in respect of Category 1 delays between 2 and 3 hours. The appeal rulings certainly gives protection from 3 hours, but since the original Regulations did not clearly specify delay compensation there is a potential gap here. On the other hand delays from rerouting, cancellations and denied boarding do kick in for category 1 delays under 3 hours.
All the other references I can find state a 3 hour minimum for any delay compensation. A friend was on a Category 1 flight that was about 2hr 55m late - have they potentially got a claim? Is there any caselaw on that area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.